Our New Reefer

surfman221

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After exhaustive research I've finally ordered our New Reef tank a Red Sea Reef 200 G2 with the Reef Mat 250 and Protein skimmer. We had a very limited space in our living room where we could set up a saltwater tank and still enjoy viewing it every day. We wanted at least 30 gallons because that seemed to give us the most flexibility and stability for our future livestock. We were attracted to the overall quality of the aquarium and the positive comments. The size of the tank fits really well in our space and we loved that we were able to find a tank that fits and gives us the volume that we wanted without sacrificing one or the other. At 52 gallons total with an almost 42-gallon display tank under 24" long was a huge selling point for us. We look forward to stocking it with live rock and live sand from our local Shark Reef store in Silverdale, Washington. We anticipate having a couple black storm clownfish or Picasso's, a rainbow anemone and a modest variety of beginner corals. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. Can’t wait to see your pictures. I have regrets about owning a clownfish a few times. They bite me and can be aggressive with other fish. Anemone are another thing. They have a mind of their own and can sting any thing in their way. I do still keep a small tank of 5 anemone and one clownfish. Urchins live there too. Urchins can be so pretty. Your new tank sounds great but don’t go falling in love with any fancy corals or angelfish soon.

OP
OP
surfman221

surfman221

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. Can’t wait to see your pictures. I have regrets about owning a clownfish a few times. They bite me and can be aggressive with other fish. Anemone are another thing. They have a mind of their own and can sting any thing in their way. I do still keep a small tank of 5 anemone and one clownfish. Urchins live there too. Urchins can be so pretty. Your new tank sounds great but don’t go falling in love with any fancy corals or angelfish soon.
Hey, thanks for the advice! I would love to have an urchin as well I've heard they are good tank cleaners too!

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, thanks for the advice! I would love to have an urchin as well I've heard they are good tank cleaners too!
No algae at all despite high-ish phosphate. Anemones are better in more mature tanks( over 1 year). Sounds like your Shark store will help you get established quicker with live sand and live rock.
Peppermint long tentacle anemone can be found in large sizes for not a lot of money. image.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 34 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back