The joy of fish rooms: Who admits to "Multiple Tank Syndrome?"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Earlier this year, I was fortunate enough to have a fish geek experience that really made me sit back and think about this crazy hobby of ours in a whole new light. I attended a meeting of a local club in Duluth, MN (Yeah, in February! It was a bit colder than L.A. in February...LOL), and got to stay at the home of a dedicated hobbyist- My Pal Matthew Pederson- and his very serious fish room! What was that I wrote, a fish room? You got it. A room filled with dozens of aquariums of varying sizes (freshwater and saltwater!), dedicated to the study, care, breeding- and sheer “joy†of fish keeping.

Picture032-3.jpg

Not Matt's fish room, but a cool one!

Fish rooms used to be a lot more common in the hobby. Serious hobbyists thought nothing of filling their basements, garages, and extra bedrooms with lots and lots of aquariums. It seems that in the last few years, the fish room has gone the way of the VCR- a once pervasive device that seemed to just fade away . Unlike the VCR, technology did not force the idea of a fishroom into retirement. Rather, technology has benefitted the hobby immensely, making it easier than ever before for a hobbyist to create his or her own little “nerve center†to practice the state of the art in aquarium keeping with several aquariums.

Raceway shot by Michelle.jpg

One of UC's 6 30' long coral raceways. Do we qualify as "MTS" nerds?

Yet, for some reason, the multiple- aquarium fish room has become a thing of the past…or has it? With all of the new focus on marine fish breeding, it seems like we’re starting to see a resurgence of sorts. Dedicated marine hobbyists are devoting entire rooms to their obsession, and are pushing the state of the art forward every day. Guys like Tal Sweet, who inspires every day with his breeding efforts in his small, yet growing multi-tank set up. When he’s not blogging the latest and greatest, Reef Builders Senior Editor Jake Adams spends a good part of his day messing around with his many aquariums. And there are hundreds of other dedicated hobbyists out there with cool setups.

images.jpeg

One of Jake's "Eco Reef" systems. Serious eye candy...

Sure, given factors like economic uncertainty, time pressures, and other commitments, today’s hobbyist is more pressed than ever to find time for his or her hobby, even for one aquarium, let alone a dozen or more. Yet, there is something about this hobby that makes it so hard to stop at just one aquarium, isn’t it?

What we only half-jokingly refer to as “Multiple Tank Syndromeâ€- the addiction to the hobby that gives us the urge to set up more aquariums-is alive, well, and very real!

Some people collect souvenir shot glasses, coins, or house cats.

We collect aquariums. And fish. And coral. And all of the junk that goes with 'em.

Cool.

It seems that with every dedicated hobbyist, there is the desire to expand or horizons, to try new things, learn about one more coral, etc. And that requires just one more aquarium…or perhaps a few more! It requires the need to expand, explore, and experiment.

To this I say- Go for it! Don’t fight the urge to get that next aquarium. Not only are you giving yourself something that you will enjoy immensely, you might just be able to try something altogether new, break new ground, or better yet-inspire others to persue their aquatic dreams. Maybe you don’t have the room or finances for a true “fish roomâ€, but fueling your passion with another aquarium is a good start!

As a child growing up in a “fish geek†household, seeing my dad’s many tanks virtually cemented my destiny that someday I’d be deeply involved in the aquarium field. Who knows what kid might be inspired to entire the marine science field as a result of a visit to your fish room? I mean, virtually every household has more than one car, so why not more than one aquarium? It's a good thing...Well, at the very least, it’s good for the aquarium industry! (Sorry, couldn't resist that one...LOL)

I’ll say it again. “Fish roomâ€. A place of magic. A place of wonder. A place of awe. A laboratory. A retreat. A launch pad for dreams. I dedicate this post to all of you out there who practice the art of aquarium keeping each and every day. You are the very essence of the hobby- the living, breathing soul of our passion. I say it again: If the muse strikes, don’t fight it. Why stop at one?

images-1.jpeg

If one is good, 26 must be better, right?

Who has a "fish room" going? Who's contemplating setting up one? Or at least, who admits to having "Multiple Tank Syndrome?"

My advice to you if you don't:

Set up another aquarium! And, I know this website where you can get really cool livestock…

:tongue:

Until next time,

Stay Wet

Scott Fellman
Unique Corals

Keithcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added another tank yesterday to my small "aquarium room" as I call it. Would add more but that was the last one that's going to fit. I think it's possible that less people have fish rooms at least in some part because of the move to saltwater for fresh water it can easily cost under $100 to set up a small tank but with saltwater a specially if your doing reef tanks (all of mine are reef tanks) it's a lot more cost prohibitive. Also not as many people breed saltwater fish and that was/ is one of the more common reasons to have a fish room. Just my two cents

Very nice right up
Hope to see some nice looking fish rooms:D

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added another tank yesterday to my small "aquarium room" as I call it. Would add more but that was the last one that's going to fit. I think it's possible that less people have fish rooms at least in some part because of the move to saltwater for fresh water it can easily cost under $100 to set up a small tank but with saltwater a specially if your doing reef tanks (all of mine are reef tanks) it's a lot more cost prohibitive. Also not as many people breed saltwater fish and that was/ is one of the more common reasons to have a fish room. Just my two cents

Very nice right up
Hope to see some nice looking fish rooms:D

All great points...Although, being on the retail side, I do notice a ton of repeat customers spending a great deal of money frequently on their hobby, so although I was raised in a "practical economics" environment (my dad was a CPA), I always subscribed to the belief that people will always find justification and room in their budgets for things they want, even in seemingly tight ecumenic situations...I know I always "found a way", LOL!

And remember, a "fish room" doesn't have to be a big, state-of-the-art facility. It's often just a haphazard collection of small tanks in various states of repair...Part of the charm, if you ask me! Kinda "old school", which is very cool, especially in the reef hobby! Had a long talk with Michael Paletta yesterday about this, and our hobby seems to have forgotten its heritage a bit. Perhaps harkening back to the days of fish rooms will awaken something inside us all..Who knows, I'm getting too philosophic way to early in the AM here..LOL

-Scott

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a main tank up stairs. Basement I have two tanks and plans for maybe 6 to 10 more dpepending on how things go and time..... Got too have the grow out tanks...

Last edited:
OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a main tank up stairs. Basement I have two tanks and plans for maybe 6 to 10 more dpepending on how things go and time..... Got too have the grow out tanks...

Do it! Do it! More! More! More! LOL

-Scott

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a multi level sump / display. So I have a dedicated sump / fish room (freshwater top off... Saltwater tub for water changes. Floor drain for water changes, Hard plumbing in the house for the display fish tank. Etc...)

I would like to add a Sea horse tank at some point... I'd love to do jellyfish, but not sure if the hobby is advanced enough to easily keep jellyfish at the hobbiest level... And I may end up doing some type of tank for my gf's son's bedroom at some point... A little biocube or something. . Yes, I have MTS..... :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice topic.

twintrades

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice read. We just started our fish room.... 6 tanks for soon to be breeding clowns. Across from it will be grow out tanks. The other wall will have a Nem only Prop tank some day..... Its hard to stop once you start.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want a dedicated room...I love having my aquarium(s) out where I can see them during daily life. Now, I had MTS, but with fibromyalgia and my budget, two seems to be the limit - and one of them is FW. I had more but found I couldn't give each tank the attention it needed.

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have 3 tanks currently running in our small living room. One is coming down as our house is just to small for 3 in the living room lol. But I plan to put a fish room in the basement as I finish it, with a larger inwall tank. And keep our 120 upstairs right above the fish room plumbed down to it. But still a ways off at the rate it's going haha

-Alex-

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a multi level sump / display. So I have a dedicated sump / fish room (freshwater top off... Saltwater tub for water changes. Floor drain for water changes, Hard plumbing in the house for the display fish tank. Etc...)

I would like to add a Sea horse tank at some point... I'd love to do jellyfish, but not sure if the hobby is advanced enough to easily keep jellyfish at the hobbiest level... And I may end up doing some type of tank for my gf's son's bedroom at some point... A little biocube or something. . Yes, I have MTS..... :)

Ho yes, you do my friend. Yes you do...

-Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice read. We just started our fish room.... 6 tanks for soon to be breeding clowns. Across from it will be grow out tanks. The other wall will have a Nem only Prop tank some day..... Its hard to stop once you start.

Yeah, it is, huh? Keep going..LOL

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's ridiculously hard to stop...

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have 3 tanks currently running in our small living room. One is coming down as our house is just to small for 3 in the living room lol. But I plan to put a fish room in the basement as I finish it, with a larger inwall tank. And keep our 120 upstairs right above the fish room plumbed down to it. But still a ways off at the rate it's going haha

-Alex-

This is how it starts....:)

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have MTS and its starting to look like Ripleys at my house. I have a 300G Arowana tank, a 60G Discus/planted tank, a Peacock Mantis tank, 2 Reef tanks, and a frag tank, oh yea does Qt tanks count lol. Bad thing is I catch myself scanning craigslist for great deals lol.

Back