More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

Is there a pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 38 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 38 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 43 19.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 93 42.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.6%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

The pufferfish is a unique fish for many reasons as many of us who have had them in our aquariums know. Beyond their ability to inflate when stressed, the personality of most pufferfish is very expressive. In fact, it has been suggested that pufferfish may be closest example of a traditional, interactive pet within the aquarium space. However, puffers do have their own requirements and tankmates, water parameters, and other factors need to be considered when making a commitment to these amazing creatures. Many hobbyists admire these fish from afar, however a few decide to go all in and add a pufferfish to their tank. What about you – is there a pufferfish in your aquarium?

realreef7_puffer.jpeg

Photo by @realreef7

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tidalgardens.com

TidalGardensBanner1.jpeg

“The goal of Tidal Gardens is to offer the highest quality corals to those seeking a piece of that world without destroying it. We hope to instill a deep appreciation for the natural reefs and help develop a self-sustaining hobby that no longer requires the collection of fish and corals.”

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have a porcupine fish, not a puffer.

He's truly an Aqua pet and quite the glutton at feeding time. His name is spike because he has 3 broken spikes on his back that I thought he would grow out of, but they keep growing as well.

Attachments

• IMG20240125191425.jpg
    IMG20240125191425.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 98

reefermadnes5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got him in 21. Was such an awesome fish. Was with us 2 awesome years. Was my first marine fish. Had his own tank. I learned the hard way all wild caught fish should be dewormed. Ive taken my tank in a different direction and wont do another. My heart broke when we burried him. Too awesome to replace.

Attachments

• 20220425_091731.jpg
    20220425_091731.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 92

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a saddle back puffer in my reef and it was a cool fish. It never bothered any corals but loved to eat critters. Unfortunately, think the flow in my reef was too much for it to handle. I saw it get sucked up by my powerhead once and was able to save it, the second time I didn't find it until it had died.

cre1024

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A bit unconventional, but this green spotted puffer is the reason I have a reef tank in the first place. I got this fella for my classroom tank in 2022, when it was a freshwater tank. After learning I would be teaching Environmental Science this school year, I started transitioning the water to brackish, then eventually full marine. The tank is now doing great as a mixed-reef tank, and the GSP is still a centerpiece
1000021301.jpg
20240111_085946.jpg

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got him in 21. Was such an awesome fish. Was with us 2 awesome years. Was my first marine fish. Had his own tank. I learned the hard way all wild caught fish should be dewormed. Ive taken my tank in a different direction and wont do another. My heart broke when we burried him. Too awesome to replace.
Please explain.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The pufferfish is a unique fish for many reasons as many of us who have had them in our aquariums know. Beyond their ability to inflate when stressed, the personality of most pufferfish is very expressive. In fact, it has been suggested that pufferfish may be closest example of a traditional, interactive pet within the aquarium space. However, puffers do have their own requirements and tankmates, water parameters, and other factors need to be considered when making a commitment to these amazing creatures. Many hobbyists admire these fish from afar, however a few decide to go all in and add a pufferfish to their tank. What about you – is there a pufferfish in your aquarium?

realreef7_puffer.jpeg

Photo by @realreef7

TidalGardensBanner1.jpeg

“The goal of Tidal Gardens is to offer the highest quality corals to those seeking a piece of that world without destroying it. We hope to instill a deep appreciation for the natural reefs and help develop a self-sustaining hobby that no longer requires the collection of fish and corals.”

realreef7_puffer.jpeg

Photo by @realreef7

TidalGardensBanner1.jpeg

I dont have one because of the reasons you posted but man, Would I ever love to have one! They are so cute and full of personality!

I have watched you tubes of them and how excited they get when the owners come home!

bubbgee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He went belly up for 24 hours and passed and a worm was popping from his anus. I didnt know the stringy white poop was the sign. Seemed normal until he wasnt.
Yes, "Seemed normal until it wasn't" applies to the hobby in so many ways. Sorry for your loss.

I kept a porcupine puffer when I started in saltwater with FOWLR tanks and nothing makes me smile more when coming home to him and he's waiting for his food with smiles and all.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
HEWBIE!!!! I love him with all my heart. He’s my saltwater puppy dog. You truly haven’t experienced the joy of owning an aquarium until you get a pufferfish. They are one of the smartest most personable fish you can keep.
8E258451-5085-4C05-9F6A-59FF6323CB00.jpeg

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes I have a porcupine fish, not a puffer.

He's truly an Aqua pet and quite the glutton at feeding time. His name is spike because he has 3 broken spikes on his back that I thought he would grow out of, but they keep growing as well.
He is a pufferfish though! He’s a porcupine pufferfish even if you haven’t seen him puffed!:)

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes I understand, but porcupine fish and puffers are different orders. Puffers don't have spikes
This is true…not all puffers are porcupine fish but all porcupine fish are puffers. Because if it can huff and puff and blow up like a balloon it is a puffer in unofficial terms lol!

Last edited:

Dave Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Blue Spotted Toby Puffer in my 70 gallon reef tank. I have a fair amount of mixed corals and a Kole Tang, a Coral Beauty Angel, a Violet Dottyback, 3 PJ Cardinals, a Percula Clownfish, a skunk cleaner shrimp and some assorted snails and a pincushion urchin. I have had the puffer for about 6 months. I do have a couple of leather toadstools with long tentacles that look like they were eaten and a couple of zoas that got damaged. I have not seen anything eating them so I don't really know if it was the puffer or the coral beauty or the Urchin or something else??? Most of my corals are and other inhabitants are fine. Since I got the puffer, my cleaner shrimp hides more, where he used to be front and center. The puffer loves me and follows me around the room which is cool. He bites me when I put my hands in the tank, which is not cool.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back