The magic of Easter and springtime: Has any new life happened in your reef tank lately?

Has any new life happened in your reef tank lately?

• New life has happened in my reef tank recently.

Votes: 69 50.0%
  • New life has happened in my tank, but not recently.

Votes: 20 14.5%
  • New life hasn’t happened in my tank.

Votes: 40 29.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 6.5%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The magic of Easter and springtime: Has any new life happened in your reef tank lately?

Along with the recent celebration of Easter, Spring has happened or is happening. For many of us it suggests all types of new life. What about your aquarium – has any new life happened in your reef tank lately? Whether it is the sight of eggs, fry darting around, tiny rock flower anemones, natural additions to your cleanup crew, and much more, there are many ways new life happens in our tanks. This may also include the process of fragging where we were able to successfully transform one creature into multiple. Please let us know about the new life that is happening in your tanks and consider sharing pictures of these new creatures!

Jen1234_Fry.jpeg

Photo by @Jen1234; Black Damsel Fish fry

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tidalgardens.com

TidalGardensBanner1.jpeg

“The goal of Tidal Gardens is to offer the highest quality corals to those seeking a piece of that world without destroying it. We hope to instill a deep appreciation for the natural reefs and help develop a self-sustaining hobby that no longer requires the collection of fish and corals.”

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank was vastly different but seahorse fry have been born in my tank. I raised them by setting up a small plastic golfish bowl as a kreisel nursery inside the display tank where the adult seahorses lived. That way I could add live baby brine shrimp in a density that the seahorse fry got enough to eat. When the babies ate their fill, then I flushed their nursery clean into the display and the oversized skimmer cleaned the display. I raised 16 out of 25 seahorse fry into 4-5 month old juveniles that were trained onto mysis shrimp.

Last edited:

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
realized my trochus snails reproduced as i woke up to a few very small trochus snails that i haven't noticed previously

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my cleaner shrimp just had babies last week, and I found an asterina starfish (more like a "Y" fish as it only has 3 arms) that appeared despite no new additions to the tank for months.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not new life but new development?

I have a unique rainbow Goni that is growing and encrusting but doesn’t usually extend. Sometimes it does. Usually it doesnt. I can’t figure it out. I’ve tried many many different feeding methods and products but none have had any reaction or success.

Well…I have been using a new product for 2 days and noticed late at night on Easter, about a hour after feeding my with the newest food, the goni DID extend a few polyps, but the new development is…one of them is a bright purple! I was shocked and think it’s awesome! The coral already is unique and has great colors but now it has a NEW color and I hope I get more of these mixed in as it grows

Attachments

• 41FA1C28-551F-4F07-8DE4-AE5C8D9A0E8D.jpeg
    41FA1C28-551F-4F07-8DE4-AE5C8D9A0E8D.jpeg
    160 KB · Views: 30

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Along with the recent celebration of Easter, Spring has happened or is happening. For many of us it suggests all types of new life. What about your aquarium – has any new life happened in your reef tank lately? Whether it is the sight of eggs, fry darting around, tiny rock flower anemones, natural additions to your cleanup crew, and much more, there are many ways new life happens in our tanks. This may also include the process of fragging where we were able to successfully transform one creature into multiple. Please let us know about the new life that is happening in your tanks and consider sharing pictures of these new creatures!

Jen1234_Fry.jpeg

Photo by @Jen1234; Black Damsel Fish fry

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tidalgardens.com

TidalGardensBanner1.jpeg

“The goal of Tidal Gardens is to offer the highest quality corals to those seeking a piece of that world without destroying it. We hope to instill a deep appreciation for the natural reefs and help develop a self-sustaining hobby that no longer requires the collection of fish and corals.”

Limpets returning in force,

I only added 10 limpets to my tank once three years ago and i never saw them again.

Just a week or two ago i noticed them everywhere in my sump, inside my skimmer, and even inside my filter socks. It has been a pleasant surprise!

Later days,

B-Kind

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added around 12 fish to my 340 gallon, and I only saw 1 of the 12 die. The rest are doing great and reinvigorating the tank with new movement. To me, losing only one fish out of a dozen is amazing and almost miraculous! It's amazing to see tiny fish come out and swim against the gentle giants of my tang gang. So scared at first to come out of their hidey holes and now they almost don't care if a giant 12" fish swims by. :)

javajaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose "other" because all those eggs need a basket and that's where I'm at - dreaming of water, fish, and SPS while I stare at piles of plumbing, dry rock and unopened boxes of gear.

:D

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My large leptoseris colony had died during a tank crash a couple months ago, but recently I've found these growing on the skeleton.
1712063889039.png

My hope is that these are budding polyps, given that they share the same coloration as the mother colony.

Other than that, any new life that has popped up in the tank has been in the form of cyano and aiptasia, so certainly not anything I'm thrilled about.

Manpeckz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Zoanthid that is taking off and one of my tuxedo urchins let some love potion into the water column right after a water change yesterday :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back