Keeping the rocks in place: Did you add aquascape support in your tank?

Did you add aquascape support in your tank?

• I currently have aquascape support in my tank.

Votes: 54 27.8%
  • I don’t currently have aquascape support in my tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 7.7%
  • I haven’t had aquascape support in my tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 37 19.1%
  • I haven’t had aquascape support in my tank and have no plans to use it in the future.

Votes: 83 42.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%

• Total voters

thrillreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current tank I cemented the main LR structures with Aquastik epoxy before any corals or fish. Directly on the tank bottom. Then added sand after. Have had zero issues with rocks moving or shifting. Will do this method again

lmfbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a plopper. I just plop the rocks on the sand and stack. I do make sure to stack them so they aren’t likely to tumble.
experience GIF
On the sand is wild. How brave! Do you worry a fish will dig a hole under them?

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found if systems are maintained long enough aquascaping will need to be moved around and corals moved or removed. Drilling rock and using pipe or rods allows for sturdy aquascaping that can be moved or adjusted as needed. This video was done with dry rock but maricultured live rock can be done with a drill bit extension and keeping the rock submerged in aged saltwater.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the sand is wild. How brave! Do you worry a fish will dig a hole under them?
No, I don’t have any gobies or burrowing fish. But some of them make little caves sometimes. After a while, the coral becomes the glue anyway. But everyone’s situation is different, and results may vary. Here’s my sps tank, where the coral have encrusted the rocks after five years. The rocks are also stacked in the middle of the tank to allow flow around all sides. I have removed the sand from this tank though, because it is black sand that is magnetic.
869B7AF2-D244-453B-8780-AA01A312F28B.jpeg

B&CinB.C.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished the aquascape for our new tank and was wondering about the egg crate when I saw it on here a few days ago. I don't like the idea of putting the rock on the bare glass . If you use the egg crate can the sand be cleaned? What about fish that bury in the sand ? I have been thinking about putting a thin layer of sand down and putting the rocks on top , (they're glued together with Aquaforest Stone Fix and are quite stable) , and then putting the rest of the sand in after.

Attachments

• Aquascape in tank video.mp4
    17.6 MB
Last edited:

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used so much at this point that my rock scape might as well be made of superglue. My hope is that eventually enough coral taking over will help hold everything together.

Last edited:

ieatbugman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stacked without support and am kinda wishing i had. But then again i have changed the rockwork twice so im not to upset at my lack of planning. This was also my first saltwater tank and i had no idea what to expect

Shaina Carey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine perching on one another. I did not glue them or anything to make it easy to take out and scrub algae if it forms.

lmfbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I don’t have any gobies or burrowing fish. But some of them make little caves sometimes. After a while, the coral becomes the glue anyway. But everyone’s situation is different, and results may vary. Here’s my sps tank, where the coral have encrusted the rocks after five years. The rocks are also stacked in the middle of the tank to allow flow around all sides. I have removed the sand from this tank though, because it is black sand that is magnetic.
869B7AF2-D244-453B-8780-AA01A312F28B.jpeg
Oh basically you've used slow setting natural glue, I see!

Beautiful tank, by the way.

In my previous tank I used acrylic dowels drilled through the rock. This one I've used marco cement to join the rocks. I actually kind of regret how large I've made each structure, honestly.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Back 17-18 years ago when I was setting up a new 240 I decided I didn't want the rock sitting on the bottom in sand and wanted some circulation under the rock.
So I picked up a 1" thick slab of acrylic and drilled many 3/8" holes in it and and added 3/8 x 3"-6" acrylic dowels, creating the space off the bottom I wanted.
It's not anything fancy but when I went to a new 240 I used it again.

TinnysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marcorocks cement with flat foundation pieces have made a huge difference. I also like creating "islands" that can be separated or pushed together to look like one structure. If I ever had to take rocks out, the pieces will be solid and I won't have to worry about breaking corals and crashing rocks.

Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 6.21.12 AM.png

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built 3 tall angled towers that I could rearrange as needed in my 24g AIO cube.
20230924_170715.jpg
To prevent them from falling over (due to flow, sand sifters, or me) I superglued horizontal legs to the bases from pvc pipe. So far, so good.

Last edited:

Richsoar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a new build two years ago which got interrupted by a whole house remodel. My plan was and still is to support the base rocks on pvc tripods. The reason for this is to give the snails and other burrowing creatures a clearer path through the substrate under the scape.

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 3 large stacks are all supported via 1/2inch acrylic rod in addition to the E-marco 400 to make things look more coherent like they are solid. The ledge on the right is also rubble placed in a frame and then cast with e-400 to create a deeper sand bed and a short ledge (which I find common in natural reefs).
1000007088.jpg

1000007091.jpg

1000007093.jpg

1000006219.jpg

Attachments

• 1000007086.jpg
    1000007086.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 1000007095.jpg
    1000007095.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 2

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 94 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back