Stands: How Tall is Too Tall and How Short is Too Short???

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thinking about building a stand to hold two tanks. Current design has the larger tank 43" off the ground and the smaller tank 18" off the ground. . . Will the top tank be too high (I'm 5'10") and or will the bottom tank be too low?

How tall is too tall and how short is too short. . . in your opinion?

aquaman67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to need an MS Paint drawing on this.

I can’t visualize how tall the top of the top tank will be.

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cabinet is 40 tall and tank 26 or 27. Need a step ladder to reach bottom. It’s not easy but doable. Oh i also have canopy.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built my 12" deep lagoon on a 32" stand. To allow for seated and top down viewing.

To me, my tank dimensions and the position from which it will be viewed are what determin stand dimensions. At the same time you have to consider space for skimmers and sumps/equipment within the stand. Regardless, with cabinets and tables I believe most people start at 32" and give or take their way to perfection for them.

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m going to need an MS Paint drawing on this.

I can’t visualize how tall the top of the top tank will be.
Some unnecessary details. . . Looking at a cinderblock and 2X4 stand w/ only HOB filtration:

1714530870433.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thinking about building a stand to hold two tanks. Current design has the larger tank 43" off the ground and the smaller tank 18" off the ground. . . Will the top tank be too high (I'm 5'10") and or will the bottom tank be too low?

Ive had 29, 34", 41" and current 36". Its a matter of preferred height at the tank with consideration to reach within the tank from the top,

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also: do you have a cat? Lol figured that out when my boyfriend got one a few months ago. He wont jump on the taller cabinets, but will on the smaller! Knocked my lighting mounts off.

twnturbo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a built in set up & stand is 40 '' off the ground for a 180 peninsula ,btw if anyone needs a brand new in the box waterbox stand /cabinet black 180 gal cheap in LA area hmu

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No cats for us, but definitely something to consider when building a stand/tank!!!
Yes lol. Never had a cat jusr dogs so I never thought of it until Church(our cat) decided he likes to watch the fish from the top of the tank

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know offhand how tall my stand is, it’s the standard aqueon 48” stand with a 75g on top. And I really wish I went custom and got something taller. Always viewing at an angle, and if I want to see anything in the rear at the top I need so squat or bend over. Really wish I could just walk by and see everything.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a built in set up & stand is 40 '' off the ground for a 180 peninsula ,btw if anyone needs a brand new in the box waterbox stand /cabinet black 180 gal cheap in LA area hmu
What are the dimensions for that... You can PM me. I may know someone that may need one.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Than (Tidal Gardens) was talking about having two levels of tanks. He visited a coral farmer that did that because of space. I think he mentioned the ones lower were clean and the ones above were dirty... so there is that.
But I think it really comes down to how you personally are going to view and enjoy the tank.
Unless you are just a tank hoarder... then why are you even asking :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally like a taller stand. I'm 6'0" hate having to bend over to look in the tank or squat to see things higher up in the tank. I want the tops of my tanks to be at my forehead level. I don't care about the inconvenience of getting on a step ladder to reach in once in a while, I care about viewing the tank from a position of comfort.

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bigger issue is a stand that tall would have a high center of gravity. I wouldnt build over 36" without also making the stand wider than the tank itself.

Peter Houde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When I built mine a long time ago I made it very short (27 inches) based on room aesthetics and the minimum height needed to fit all the necessary gear into it. Aesthetically, I much prefer it this way. On the other hand, it's like a new compact car in which there isn't even enough room under the hood to change your own oil filter. I didn't take into account that I might someday have to replace the sump, pump, or chiller, etc., and that it might be difficult to find replacements with similar dimensions. Fortunately, even after nearly 30 years I still haven't had to. I also didn't take into account that the sump was too fragile to pull on to use the roll-out drawer on which it is mounted for top access. Consequently, the sump is very difficult to reach into. (The skimmer that was built into the sump was worthless from the get-go, so I use a HOB skimmer.) Apart from the aesthetics, the downside of a tall stand is that you need a ladder to be able to reach into the bottom of the tank. I don't know about you, but that is something I have to do every week if for no other reason, of which there are many, than to vacuum the sand bed.

NeedAReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it depends I do not like to have to get out a step stool to reach into the tank etc. so I like lower tanks that are bigger depth and wider but that means I can have a bit taller of a stand.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 27 22.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 86 71.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back