Find your geeky bliss...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, pretty much a totally crazy weekend!

Seems like the longer we're around, the more insane it gets every time we have a sale...I always said I'd never want to be "that guy" who is a hardcore reefer, then starts a company, and gets "too busy" to do the things he likes to do- like interacting with fellow reef geeks...Well, some days, I must admit, it feels like I've become "that guy..." I mean, there literally aren't enough hours in the day sometimes to do everything that you want. Between setting up orders, taking orders, answering customer questions, dealing with personnel needs, and all of the other minutiae of running a company, it CAN get a little hectic. I guess it's a good problem to have. But I think it's a problem nonetheless. Self help gurus will tell you that not being able to do the things you want to do is a function of "poor time management" or "not being kind to yourself", or...whatever!

anthony-robbins1.jpg

"Scott- you could unleash unimaginable personal power by managing your time better!" Shut up, dork.

Anyways, I'm happy to be here to interact with you cool people- as you're what it's all about. In the mad frenzy of a busy sales weekend, I remembered to acknowledge the things that really make me love this hobby- an exercise we should all do from time to time. And one of the things I enjoy ruminating on is the fact that we as reefers are into the most obscure stuff! Think about it. If you've entertained the idea of playing with, say, propagating Indophyllia- there's probably some reefer out there who's not only had the idea, but who's but out a propagation system just for that purpose in her basement! Want to breed rotifers and create an automatic feeder? There are actually "experts" on that. Creating a system for sponges? "Mr. LE", Steve Tyree himself, literally wrote the book on that a decade ago! I mean, there are so many cool things that you can do in the hobby, and so many cool resources at our disposal! Our "tribe" has insanely good knowledge of many, many things, ranging from the basic to the downright obscure.

That's totally cool.

cryptic-sponge-refugia.jpg

Sponges, huh? You're not alone in this geeky endeavour!

Continuous-Culture.jpg

To some folks, a bucket of phytoplankton in culture is Nirvana. Gotta love these people!

Thanks to the internet and the general geekiness of hobbyists worldwide, this stuff doesn't stay obscure that long. We talk, brag, share, assist, and just generally let the information we've gleaned percolate into our culture, which enriches us all. And it's fun to get into these seemingly obscure things, isn't it?

Lately, I've been getting really back into my long term love affair (sounds sordid, doesn't it?) with macroalage. I used to play with all different types, but just kinda ran out of time and resources to keep going. Well, flash forward a few years and I have a 16,000 gallon saltwater facility with all kinds of toys to play with! So, when the opportunity came up to acquire some cool macros algae from an awesome propagator and curate the collection I've been dreaming of for over a decade, I jumped on it. So, much to the chagrin of some of my colleagues, on any given day you'll find me doling over my little section of one of our raceways, packed with little containers of macro algae of all sorts. In a edition to a geeky "cottage industry", it's been just fun doing something that I sort of lost track of over the years...the fun and excitement of doing something that's interesting, "new", and weekly obsessive is a sublime delight for the reefer!

IMG_0749.jpg

It may be just a clump of algae to you....

Okay, so the point of all of this rambling is quite simple: If you have one of those geeky and obscure obsessions, indulge yourself and play! Do the geeky stuff to your heart's content...and remember to share your passion for it with other reefers. It's the kind of stuff that makes things really fun. The kind of stuff that makes a hobby more than just a pleasant diversion...It becomes a lifelong obsession- a rich and rewarding passion. Find your geeky bliss.

Fish-Pipefish-Banded -  Mar17.jpg

Perhaps you want to breed 'em. And why not?

Of course, in the opinion of my warehouse employees, I'm just "the owner coming out from the office, playing with his algae collection, stealing our nets, and getting in the way."

Sigh.

What geeky hobby obsession do YOU indulge in?

Stay tuned for lots more of the usual absurdity from yours truly.

Stay Wet

Scott Fellman
Unique Corals

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im obsessed with Plecos!!!!! And limpets I know it sounds weird but I have a whole 10 gallon filled with them!

acolotto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe not that different but i love going to LFS and buying corals that do not look good or are dying on the cheap and see if i can bring them back from the cusp of death. Have gotten a couple half skeleton lobos to come back and some bleached sticks to color up nicely, even though it takes forever its fun to see the coral start bouncing back and also to save the coral is an awesome in itself. Then if im able to recover the coral i usually sell to local hobbyists or throw in my DT.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im obsessed with Plecos!!!!! And limpets I know it sounds weird but I have a whole 10 gallon filled with them!
Haha come to think of it, I ended up with some rock from my favorite LFS with some aiptasia on it....which for some reason my poor copperband never took...but it seems to have brought in a couple million of those limpets o_O

Mine is definitely Seahorses & Macro Algae
That's BEAUTIFUL, Finz!

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could have my aquarium over here. I hate going once a week to check on things when I should be enjoying and monitoring it more closely. I'm beginning to realize that my dream fish, such as the pictilis anthias, may not be an option when I have my dad feeding them. Maybe I could invest in an autofeeder...it's still gonna be iffy, though. Any ideas? "Geeky bliss"...I just love anthias but I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep them. Just so y'all know, not so big on the lyretails, though the Bartletts are fairly good-looking.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back