Want To Be a “Basement Vendor”? My Tips…

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is a natural evolution for successful Reefers to want to try vending at shows (swaps). Though not all of us do, it can be a good way to offset the costs of reefing. I enjoy vending because I like seeing and meeting the Reefers, and sharing awesome coral. While I encourage others to do the same, there are a few considerations to keep in mind.

First, I only recommend vending if you actually enjoy having a lot of livestock to take care of. These are animals, and require our care and respect. Not every coral will sell, and you are responsible for transporting them back and forth safely when they don’t.

So, after you have properly filed for, and established your business…

There is a difference between those that do vending for fun, and those that depend on it for their livelihood. Make sure to respect those that made the jump as you navigate the pricing game. I’m not suggesting price fixing, but do consider the playing field you are on.

Also, remember to have fun! The minute vending becomes “work”, it’s just another job. We all got into reefing for a reason, and keeping things fun and fresh keeps that passion alive.

Selling livestock online is another animal in itself that I do not participate in. But the tips above still hold true.

These are just a few of my suggestions. If you are a vendor, feel free to add your comments or suggestions as well! Happy Reefing!

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is a natural evolution for successful Reefers to want to try vending at shows (swaps). Though not all of us do, it can be a good way to offset the costs of reefing. I enjoy vending because I like seeing and meeting the Reefers, and sharing awesome coral. While I encourage others to do the same, there are a few considerations to keep in mind.

First, I only recommend vending if you actually enjoy having a lot of livestock to take care of. These are animals, and require our care and respect. Not every coral will sell, and you are responsible for transporting them back and forth safely when they don’t.

So, after you have properly filed for, and established your business…

There is a difference between those that do vending for fun, and those that depend on it for their livelihood. Make sure to respect those that made the jump as you navigate the pricing game. I’m not suggesting price fixing, but do consider the playing field you are on.

Also, remember to have fun! The minute vending becomes “work”, it’s just another job. We all got into reefing for a reason, and keeping things fun and fresh keeps that passion alive.

Selling livestock online is another animal in itself that I do not participate in. But the tips above still hold true.

These are just a few of my suggestions. If you are a vendor, feel free to add your comments or suggestions as well! Happy Reefing!
Perfect timing.

In 3 weeks is FFM. The biggest frag farming market in the country. 83 vendors this year.

Anyway, our local club will be there and I have a bunch of frags to sell. I have know idea how to price them.
Things like;
Red planet
Green slimer
Purple Stylo, big frags!
Hammer coral, 2 or 3 heads

How would you suggest I price? Do I check out other small vendors?
I will be donating 50% of the sales back to my club.

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect timing.

In 3 weeks is FFM. The biggest frag farming market in the country. 83 vendors this year.

Anyway, our local club will be there and I have a bunch of frags to sell. I have know idea how to price them.
Things like;
Red planet
Green slimer
Purple Stylo, big frags!
Hammer coral, 2 or 3 heads

How would you suggest I price? Do I check out other small vendors?
I will be donating 50% of the sales back to my club.
Pricing varies by location, but I started by looking at what the big names online charge, cut it in half, then maybe again. But it depends on availability and growth rate too. Also consider your costs like electricity, salt, water, etc. When I think about it, I’m not actually making any money, I’m just cashing in the investment I already have. Lol!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back