Whats wrong with my zoas?? Pics inside!

Reef_a_holiks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im having an issue with some of my zoas well kinda most of them, that dont seem to want to open or sometimes not fully open. Here are some pics of some, what you guys think

Water quality seems to be on point, 460 cal, 0 phos, 0 Nitrates, 8.2 PH, 11 Alk
Filtration: Aquaclear 70 & Cpr Bakpak skimmer with mini refugium mod.
40 gallon breeder with Reef radiance Dm-155e led fixture hanging 14 inches above the water

What you guys think ?

TriggerThis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think back to what you did or change/ added to the tank just before it started happening.

Could be a contaminant in the water off your hands that they're reacting to.
Also 11alk does seen especially high, but if you decide to lower it. , don't do more than one point a day.
Also inspect them very closely and make sure theirs no pests in the colonies making them close or a fish constantly nipping at them.

OP
OP
Reef_a_holiks

Reef_a_holiks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think back to what you did or change/ added to the tank just before it started happening.

Could be a contaminant in the water off your hands that they're reacting to.
Also 11alk does seen especially high, but if you decide to lower it. , don't do more than one point a day.
Also inspect them very closely and make sure theirs no pests in the colonies making them close or a fish constantly nipping at them.

Ive been looking latley for pest for about 2 weeks now and nothing. weird thing is some zoas are doing well. but most are like the pics. ive had 11Alk even when they were thriving so i know its not Alk, Alk hasnt changed. cant really think of anything thats been changed. I also never put my bear hands in , i use arm length nitrile gloves. Only thing i can think of is to much or to lil light. I sometimes think maybe to much light , cause the first 2 hours of the lights turning on they do seem to open up then once it hits like the 4 hour mark they get like the pics above. but then again the stems do seem a lil extended . im just so confused

OP
OP
Reef_a_holiks

Reef_a_holiks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump! also when do zoas start to open after lowering light intensity? should they open right away when they are comfortable with the light intensity ?

PRomero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not your alkalinity, I keep mine at around 12dkh.

How much flow do you have? I've found that zoas for the most part like medium to high flow.

Your lights may be too bright, lower the whites and blues by half and see how the corals respond, if no responce its either bacterial or pest problem.

If bacterial, a one day treatment of chemiclean on my tank helped me a lot. It's up to you if you want to try it. Your skimmer will go crazy for a week or two after treatment but it really cleaned my tank so it was worthwhile for me.

You can also dip each coral in furan 2 (google "zoapox furan 2" and click the zoaid website for instructions).

Good luck.

OP
OP
Reef_a_holiks

Reef_a_holiks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not your alkalinity, I keep mine at around 12dkh.

How much flow do you have? I've found that zoas for the most part like medium to high flow.

Your lights may be too bright, lower the whites and blues by half and see how the corals respond, if no responce its either bacterial or pest problem.

If bacterial, a one day treatment of chemiclean on my tank helped me a lot. It's up to you if you want to try it. Your skimmer will go crazy for a week or two after treatment but it really cleaned my tank so it was worthwhile for me.

You can also dip each coral in furan 2 (google "zoapox furan 2" and click the zoaid website for instructions).

Good luck.

they have low to medium flow. ive lowered my lights to half the amount ive had them before already so far no help. currently running 50 percent blues and 25 percent whites. for sure no pest problems, i haven't seen anything lately been checking them out lately at night and day during the week and cant find anything. bacterial? what you mean by it can be bacterial? this is could be the issue never heard of it. can you explain? i usually dip zoas in furan 2 when they only have zoa pox.

Thanks so much for the reply no one else seems to respond or help.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're Zoa's that's what's wrong-lol. They pick en choose who they thrive for without discrimination! No matter what you do the lil buggers can and will make you sorry you were ever born. They lie! They cheat you out of $100.00 and and they will kick you when your down. You give them everything you got and more, yet it wont be enough. They are Zoa's!!

Just my experience-lol!! Hope you have better luck :)

PRomero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what it does or how it works but chemiclean helped me. I love zoas and I hate seeing them die off so this is why I'm sharing what worked for me. It's up to you if you want to try it. I experiment a lot so it wasn't a problem for me, good luck.

rastafan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on chemiclean. Its a personal preference though. I do it once every 2 or 3 mos, even without any algae problem, i just like it coz it makes my sand glow white again lol.

and yes, it makes the skimmer crazy and out of tune for a couple of days..

I don't know what it does or how it works but chemiclean helped me. I love zoas and I hate seeing them die off so this is why I'm sharing what worked for me. It's up to you if you want to try it. I experiment a lot so it wasn't a problem for me, good luck.

PRomero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used recomended dosage initially, but am considering doing 1/2 dosage every 2-3 months as part of a maintenence.

rastafan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use the recommended dosage/gallon but i believe you can do less. So far, its a safe product to use at least in my system. Just follow the 48 hours and water change %, and i think it should be fine..lots of flow also as much as possible within that 48 hours for best results.

OP
OP
Reef_a_holiks

Reef_a_holiks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much guys for the replies. i just bought some chemiclean and dosed the tank, lets see what happens. How long after did you start noticing improvement or change? also do i keep my skimmer running ?

PRomero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, keep skimmer running but you may need to adjust. Also, some microbubbles will be everywhere in your display because of the skimmer going crazy. I noticed a difference the very next day for me.

OP
OP
Reef_a_holiks

Reef_a_holiks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, keep skimmer running but you may need to adjust. Also, some microbubbles will be everywhere in your display because of the skimmer going crazy. I noticed a difference the very next day for me.
my lights just turned on so lets see how they do today. Skimmer is going nuts, full of micro bubbles in thank also, but its temporarily so i dont mind it . lets wait and see.

Thanks again PRomero

OP
OP
Reef_a_holiks

Reef_a_holiks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem at all, share before and after pics :)

so far not much change, i do see a lil improvement but very minimal in the zoas. :/ hasnt even been 24 hours though so lets see what happens later on to tomorrow. if no change then i know its nothing bacterial.

PRomero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like everything reef related, you have to give things time, patience.... If the zoas are too far along damaged, it will take a few days or longer to fully recover. Most of my zoas started to close over, and now on week 2 after dosing thos same zoas look healthy but it took them 2 weeks to fully recover. You have to notice the small changes and not look for fully open/closed polyps

duke4130

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you do to you lately? 11dKH seem too high.

I am thinking the same thing.... What is your MAG at? You can't tell two (ALK, CAL) with out telling the third (MAG).... Those three together are the holy trinity of maintaining a reef system...LOL...

From my experience Z/P like the following:

ALK: 8.5-9 dkh

CAL: 430-450

MAG: 1320-1350

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back