Please help me beat this infection

Atomikk

Rare Coral Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, now that I think about it, I have gotten some polyps that will have this algae looking stuff grow over them and cause them to close up. When I see it, I just scrape it off with a finger nail. It can be green or brownish in color... almost like cyano but not cyano.

Does that sound like it?

:(
Laurie

Yup that is it. I have that type of 'fungus'.

OP
OP
I

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it Laurie. It scrapes off, but that doesn't solve the problem. It comes back in a few hours.

Atomikk - that QT would work great. I did not remove all zoas from my display, just the ones that had shown symptoms of the fungus and any that were near those colonies. For some reason it really seemed to target orange and green zoas, not sure if thats a coincidence or not. I used about 1.5 cups RO water brought to tank temp, and matched PH, with 1 packet of Furan-2. I did the dip for 15-20 min. I did not dip twice a day, rather once a day and i let the zoas rest in the QT for 2 days between dips for a total of 2 dips in a week. I contimplated a 3rd, but since i saw some positive results i held off on that 3rd dip and ended up not needing it.

follow3 - Furan-2 is effective against a wide variety of gram positive and gram negative baterial diseases. It comes in a capsule and packet form, i used the packet form. Both have the same dosage instructions - 1 packet/capsule in 10 gal of water. You can find it at most LFS or online.

Let me know how your treatments go!!

Miles

Atomikk

Rare Coral Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Miles, thanks for you input. It really helps.

I ended up dipping almost all of my zoas/palys. I still have to dip the rest. I ended up placing some aragonite into a 5 gal tub. Put some fresh RO/DI water into it, and let it sit. The aragonite buffers the water to a good pH. I take that water, and I put it into a mixing container. In there, I emptied 2 capsules of Furan 2 and 1 pouch of this. I did 20 minute dips, and then a quick rinse in a smaller bucket. Then off to the QT with moderate flow.

Tonight I have to finish off with the rest of the colonies (attached to bigger rocks).

OP
OP
I

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a good attack plan. Take some pics if you can and keep us updated.

Good luck!

Atomikk

Rare Coral Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, here is one of the infected paly rocks. This is whay my infestation looks like..

P1010075.jpg

Atomikk

Rare Coral Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you waited 1 or 2 days before reapplying? Right now I have a 5gal bucket with 3gals of water, and 2caps of Furan 2 and 1 pouch of that Fungal medication. Do you think that is enough for a dip, or is it too little?

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think that is enough Atomikk....One cap of that stuff is enough to treat 10gs So I would say that is good to go.....

Atomikk

Rare Coral Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, just worried, because all of my zoas/palys are showing the same symptoms. I did have to dip two giant rocks with amazing zoas. I hope it won't have adverse effects.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The meds shouldn't have a issue on your zoas.....See as how it is tank water that you are dipping them in they can stay in there for the 20 minutes and be fine. One thing to think about also is have another bucket to rinse your rocks off before you put them back in your tank. Even though there is no proof that Furan2 will adversely effect anything in your tank it is just a precaution so that way there isn't a chance of it from the start.....

Atomikk

Rare Coral Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what I did with the two rocks in question. I rinsed them with RO water, then with QT water, and then back into the DT.

OP
OP
I

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your dip sounds good. I dipped in 1.5 cups RO water with the entire packet of Furan2 for around 15min, then rinsed in tank water, and into the QT. I waited 2 days between dips.

redsonja

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just used the Furan-2 dip to save the colony in my icon, I was so glad to find that article on zoaid. I've lost several colonies in the past from this stuff, all I knew to try back then were RO dips and trying to remove the "slime" from the polyps. I dipped them once a day, 20 minutes, in RO with one capsule of the Furan-2, three days in a row. I lost a few polyps that were looking really bad before I could find the Furan-2 but the rest look better. The entire colony looks better than when I first got it so I suspect it was all stressed. I'm so glad I could save them because they were not cheap and I've not seen anything else like them anywhere so far!

I got Furan-2 from the local Pet Supermarket, neither PetCo nor PetSmart had it locally or online. :( I bought enough to keep on hand for future aquisitions though.

-Sonja

OP
OP
I

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sonja, great story. I'm glad you had success as well.

I'm so glad that Furan-2 works on more than just zoa pox. This will be a great help to so many of us that love our zoas! Did you find that the infection started out of the blue or did the frag have it when you rec'd it? For me, i think it was the introduction of 1 frag of wild zoas, but i can't be for certain. I have had this same thing in the past start up out of the blue with no new additions. Sadly i lost them all back then because this treatment wasn't known.

BTW sweet zoas! Got a larger pic?

Miles

redsonja

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you find that the infection started out of the blue or did the frag have it when you rec'd it?

I don't know for sure, as I got those and some green from another source about the same time. I do suspect them though as the greens are in the same QT and haven't gotten sick. I'm watching too, them you can be sure!
BTW sweet zoas! Got a larger pic?

Miles

Thanks! I like them a lot, even though my husband says "They just blend into the coralline, I can't see them!" :hammer:

I'll put some pix on the eye candy thread in a few minutes, have to remember my photobucket password first though. :)

-Sonja

Atomikk

Rare Coral Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, i am dipping them again today. This time, i am going to leave them for 20-25 min.

Lets hope for the best, as they were not looking great today.

OP
OP
I

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't look better right away. Mine lost almost all their color, and didn't open up for a day or so.

redsonja

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't look better right away. Mine lost almost all their color, and didn't open up for a day or so.

That was my experience too, the first two times I dipped them. But after three dips they started to open up again and look better.

Hoping for the best for 'em Atomikk!

-Sonja

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 151 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back