Please help me beat this infection

Atomikk

Rare Coral Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys think of this...

Since i dont have any skimming in the QT, do you think its wise to move the majority of the zoas/palys back into the DT?

So far, I only moved my precious ones.

Atomikk

Rare Coral Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, here is where I stand.

I moved most of my zoas into the DT. I placed them in line with strong current to rid itself of fungal tissue. I believe that most had an invisible film covering their head. Now I can see some shedding that film. I gave them all 2 dips, and will probably move all zoas into the DT by the end of the night. The zoas/palys that I placed into the DT are already opening, so I am hoping for the best.

OP
OP
I

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you rinse em well you'll be fine. I didn't skim my QT, rather i did weekly 100% WCs with water from my display.

Glad to hear you are seeing some positive results!!!

Atomikk

Rare Coral Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I waited until yesterday to redip them. Some zoas look good, some look worse. Its like this bubbly film is still there (transparent). I will have pics later on to show you all.

Some zoas are coming back, which is great. I might have to do a 4th dip in two days if things don't improve.

OP
OP
I

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what you are talking about, it looks like a clear bubble covering the polyp?

I've had that happen on several new zoas after dipping them. It will go away. I've never had it kill a polyp, or even attribute a polyp death to it.

Glad to hear you are seeing some positive results!

Atomikk

Rare Coral Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so thats a good sign? I have mosto f the zoas in higher flow (in line of a Seio 1100). How long would you give it for things to improve after the 3rd dip? 1-2 days?

BigBadZoaDaddy

Orange ya gonna Frag it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of some orange zoos where it started. These were in my tank for 3 years and i had grown them from 2 polyps. I had to throw the whole colony away. You can see the closed polyps do not look normal, 2 on the left and 2 at the bottom.

000_0037.jpg

I only made it to this post so I will read the rest in a min, but it is crazy coincidence that my BamBam that I had for about that long just did the samethin after I fraged em'!! OK rest of the reading sorry just couldn't belive it whe I saw the pic!

OP
OP
I

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so thats a good sign? I have mosto f the zoas in higher flow (in line of a Seio 1100). How long would you give it for things to improve after the 3rd dip? 1-2 days?

I think you should see them start opening up in 1-2 days. You should not see anymore of that fungus on the polyps at this point. Color takes about 2-3 weeks to come back IME.

OP
OP
I

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only made it to this post so I will read the rest in a min, but it is crazy coincidence that my BamBam that I had for about that long just did the samethin after I fraged em'!! OK rest of the reading sorry just couldn't belive it whe I saw the pic!

Yah its wierd huh. I see this same problem popping up more and more lately.

Luckily i was able to track down a couple different morphs of bam bams to replace my lost colony :D

100_0239.jpg

Last edited:

The Fragmaster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didnt realy move the "healthy ones" form your tank to your friends did you?

If you did you have more than likely infected his tank as well.
:(

Atomikk

Rare Coral Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didnt realy move the "healthy ones" form your tank to your friends did you?

If you did you have more than likely infected his tank as well.
:(

Was this directed towards me? If so, I would never ever do such a thing.

Actually, I am somewhat containing this type of bacteria. I wish we had a name for it. It is not the white fungus that we all dread. What is weird, is that i did get the white fungus after I dipped one zoa colony. Got rid of it after another dip.

Got to stock up on Furan.. this thing does work. Just got to keep it from re-emerging in the tank.

Atomikk

Rare Coral Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I think I am winning this battle. I just finished with the second dip. What I did was once the dip was done, I place them in tank water (in a container). With a turkey baster, I blew off the 'fungus'. What I think it is, is algae that is growing over the zoa. I ended up removing a lot of this algae, as the container was super dirty when I was done. The zoas started opening up almost immediately once in the display tank.

To try to remove this algae from regrowing, I am dosing kalk to remove phosphates from the water column. I am also running a Diatom Filter (Vortex XL), and a Phosban Reactor with Rowaphos.

OP
OP
I

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear it!

I'm currently battling something slightly different. The polyps are closing up and turning white, it starts out as a small dot (not zoapox) then the whole closed polyp turns white from the inside out. I'm done some furan-2 dips, but it doesn't appear to be slowing. If its not one thing is another huh!

Atomikk

Rare Coral Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I know.. i went through a lot in the last 5 months... Just recently my Vortex Diatom filter (that I was using the clean the water from any residual bacteria) sprung a leak from the motor casing. Now i have to ship it back... bummer.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back