“Freebie” coral not looking great - ID assistance

Kingman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this coral as a “freebie” from LFS but I’m not certain what it is and they didn’t know either - I’ve leaning towards it being a Bernardpora/microgoni but I’m hoping someone with more experience than me can confirm. It opened up decently the second day I had it, but has only opened minimally for short periods of time in the two weeks since then. Currently sitting at 50 par with low flow. Not sure if it needs more time to adjust or different light/flow and would appreciate any ID assistance or other advice to give it the best shot at turning around. Thanks!

In my QT tank with a Florida Ricordea that is thriving and growing.

Nitrates: 4-5ppm
P04: 0.03
Alk: 7.5
PH: 8.1
Salinity: 1.025

IMG_0477.jpeg IMG_0517.jpeg

OP
OP
Kingman

Kingman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless those polyps extend a ways, looks like an encrusting pavona to me. I'd start with double the light. Maybe could be a retracted goni? Also would need more light.
Thanks - did a little digging and it looks like that could be it for sure. Didn’t even consider sps…they had it sitting with the clearance zoas in low par with minimal PE. Do you think I should I ease it up to 100par or move it up quickly to get it closer to where it should be quickly?

Upvote 0

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do it straight away, not super high lighting and already bleached, but you've probably got time to step it up once or twice to more gradually acclimate it.

Upvote 0

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like dieing Goniopora to me. I had a frag that didn’t exactly that after a day. Started looking just like yours. Overnight the flesh peeled off and polyps fell off and looked just like the second pic

First pic the entire coral is covered in darkish color flesh with polyps all over. Second pic almost 90% of flesh is gone, and polyps look missing.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back