“Impulse buy” feat Starfish

Pop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am new to the hobby and my tank has been cycled for week or two now and I already have fishes in my tank. So I went to a fish store and saw this star fish on sale.

I WAS LIKE OMG I NEED IT.
without thinking I got it..

It was called fischer Starfish ? I’m might not be spelling it right? I let it acclimate for 1 hour using drip method and put him in my tank. He seems fine but he is hiding in the corner on the top of the tank. Does anybody know what kind of diet he has ?

OP
OP
Pop

Pop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think star fish are scavengers and idk how mature of a take they need but I would think they need need a pretty stable one idk if I would of gotten one only being cycle week or 2
Yeah.. Should i return it? He seems fine right now but I don’t want him to get stressed out.

jordan10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ummmm I would probably just let it go and see how it does ya never know I have a red throny star and he use to hang at the surface when I first put him in now he's fine. U might be ok. Just research what u get next time.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know a lot about that starfish but if it cant eat nori or something simple it will probably starve

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i let my tank mature for about a year before i added a non brittlestar, and just like everyone on here said, it was fine for a few months, then one day just kinda stopped moving. legs started breaking down. and i felt super crappy. i'm not sure what a fischer starfish is, but i doubt it lasts long. i'd return it

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much “on sale” are we talking? If it was fairly cheap, I’d just say over-feed the tank a bit, and hope for the best. It may actually love the “dirty” stage if you experience that with your tank

OP
OP
Pop

Pop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much “on sale” are we talking? If it was fairly cheap, I’d just say over-feed the tank a bit, and hope for the best. It may actually love the “dirty” stage if you experience that with your tank
It was like 5 dollars pretty cheap

OP
OP
Pop

Pop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

F11420EE-2113-40EE-92BA-CEBFBF3F18D6.jpeg 0E053CC5-B8BE-45BE-96A8-6F867FF5810C.jpeg

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most starfish are meat eaters (scavengers), and need to be fed. I'd suggest feeding clams. Buy clams from your fish monger and freeze them. Now easy to open up and pull out the meat. Cut that up maybe into 4 - 8 pieces, dependent on size. Thaw and feed a piece every couple of days. Use forceps to get it close to it's mouth....it will "smell" the food and should take it.

OP
OP
Pop

Pop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most starfish are meat eaters (scavengers), and need to be fed. I'd suggest feeding clams. Buy clams from your fish monger and freeze them. Now easy to open up and pull out the meat. Cut that up maybe into 4 - 8 pieces, dependent on size. Thaw and feed a piece every couple of days. Use forceps to get it close to it's mouth....it will "smell" the food and should take it.
Would pieces of shrimps works ?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, shrimp will work....and better yet, variety of meaty stuff is the best.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back