0.7 Phosphates, time for GFO?

reef guy 56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No gold doesn’t corrode in seawater. You can Google it platinum and gold. Do not corrode in seawater.

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, but that is not what you actually said, what I was replying to was your statement that a 50% water change would bring the OP’s po4 lvl down to 0.35 which wouldn’t be the case….maybe a few 50% water changes would start to see a reduction.
Seems to be a strange point to hang on to. The measurement he's getting is phosphate in the water column. My response is in that context as well. No matter the method they use, they will have to deal with leaching until they are at a level they desire. 0.7PPM is indicative of a tank that hasn't received appropriate water changes (for the size or equipment being used). Water changes are pretty fool proof, especially for mid-size and smaller tanks. Unsure of OP's tank size.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None us have actually studied marine biology so for all we know, iodine and strontium levels could actually be the problem.
Most don't have a problem being high rather they are low.

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None us have actually studied marine biology so for all we know, iodine and strontium levels could actually be the problem.
Our reference point is the coral reefs where these corals come from. Don't need a marine biology degree to match natural seawater. Many trace elements have been studied and their biological functions are known (to a degree). Other trace elements present have no currently known biological function. I'd recommend some more research.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, but that is not what you actually said, what I was replying to was your statement that a 50% water change would bring the OP’s po4 lvl down to 0.35 which wouldn’t be the case….maybe a few 50% water changes would start to see a reduction.

There is a water change calculator ....

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As title says, I’ve been having Phopshates creep up and up with no luck on making it stop. Time for GFO? My sps are starting to lose a bit of color but still are growing and have good PE. Dosing nitrates as well and trying to get them above 10

Alk: 6 (raising slowly to about 9.5)
Calc: 410
Mag: 1455
PO4 0.7 (not 0.07)
NO3 6.0

All tested using Hannah testers
Can you tell us a little about the tank? What methods do you currently use to export phosphate?

Not GFO
Lanthanum chloride?
Carbon dosing?
Refugium?

I'm not an expert by any means, but pictures would also help those that are

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow okay lots to go through here

It’s a 4 year old 50 gal AIO Waterbox
FWIW, my response to my interpretation of the original question would be:
Yes, GFO seems like a reasonable method to lower phosphates (IMO).

I'd say try it and monitor via testing.
*I'm not sure what the dangers are of dropping PO4 TOO quickly so just be cautious (((your corals have acclimated to this over 4 years so???)))

Like some others have stated, I've struggled more with the opposite problem but have used GFO as a kind of brief maintenance tool a couple of times and it worked way more quickly than I expected,,, but that was when I was approaching more like 0.20 ppm (in case that even matters)

BigMonkeyBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As title says, I’ve been having Phopshates creep up and up with no luck on making it stop. Time for GFO? My sps are starting to lose a bit of color but still are growing and have good PE. Dosing nitrates as well and trying to get them above 10

Alk: 6 (raising slowly to about 9.5)
Calc: 410
Mag: 1455
PO4 0.7 (not 0.07)
NO3 6.0

All tested using Hannah testers
I might say at an Alk of 6-dKH the corals might lose color or melt.

PO4 at 0.7 is not super high. I would head in the direction of trying to lower it.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to be a strange point to hang on to. The measurement he's getting is phosphate in the water column. My response is in that context as well. No matter the method they use, they will have to deal with leaching until they are at a level they desire. 0.7PPM is indicative of a tank that hasn't received appropriate water changes (for the size or equipment being used). Water changes are pretty fool proof, especially for mid-size and smaller tanks. Unsure of OP's tank size.
The point I was hanging on to was the point you made, not what you meant to say or should have said.

You said if the op did a 50% water change the po4 lvl would drop to 50% which is not the case, you then corrected yourself, which was good for those that may have followed your first statement and not got the results you claimed they should have gotten.

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The point I was hanging on to was the point you made, not what you meant to say or should have said.

You said if the op did a 50% water change the po4 lvl would drop to 50% which is not the case, you then corrected yourself, which was good for those that may have followed your first statement and not got the results you claimed they should have gotten.
You're still ignoring the whole point that the water is what is being tested and changed. Leaching phosphates doesn't change the fact that 50% of the phosphates that showed on the test (i.e. level in the water) were removed. That's fact, regardless of where the equilibrium is met and what leaches after the fact. You can only manage what you can measure.

You're arguing semantics here, and it's really unnecessary. We are both correct.

Scooters Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does trace elements do besides color?
Trace elements are essential for biological functions within the coral and its symbionts.
Example:
Iron promotes photosynthetic activity in algae, both for zooxanthellae in the corals and macro algae.

It’s a deep rabbit hole but worth the dig. It’s fascinating stuff and trace elements are absolutely necessary and important.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are keeping acros. Trace absolutely matters. Trace matters for all corals. Not to be a jerk, but you really need to gain some experience before making recommendations. I'd recommend listening and learning, then applying and experiencing before making recommendations.
Completely OT but do they though? The actual scientific proof for that is fairly lackluster.

Counterpoint: 2-3 decades ago we were keeping thriving reef tanks without so much as a thought of trace elements and no way to replenish them if you don’t count water changes…which isn’t a feasible way to maintain them in anything but the smallest of systems.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 28 36.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 31.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back