1-1/2" pvc to 1" bulkhead

Afish70

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new setup and I have some 1-1/2" pvc pipe i want to use, the bad thing is i have to make it fit in 1" bulkheads, How do I do this correctly? This is my 1st time plumbing a tank.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new setup and I have some 1-1/2" pvc pipe i want to use, the bad thing is i have to make it fit in 1" bulkheads, How do I do this correctly? This is my 1st time plumbing a tank.
If you need to ask how to connect a 1.5” by 1” reducing bushing, I suggest you buy 1” pvc for your 1” bulkhead.

The 1” bulkhead limits your flow no matter what size pipe you use. If you want more flow, then go with two 1” bulkheads and then use your 1.5” pvc pipe.

PS. For redundancy sake, two 1 bulkhead connections at different levels provides a back up when a snail plugs up a bulkhead drain and refugium overflows display tank.

Last edited:

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use a reducing busing like this

The 1.5in PVC would go in one one, and you would likely need a few inches of 1in PVC to go between the bussing and the bulkhead - that's assuming the bulkhead is Slip

You could also us a reducing elbow as well like this - again, assuming the bulkhead is slip

its actually a really good idea to run oversized pipe to your bulkhead - it provides you more throughput to the outlets due to less friction and allows you utilize more of you pumps output capability.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Afish70

Afish70

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use a reducing busing like this

The 1.5in PVC would go in one one, and you would likely need a few inches of 1in PVC to go between the bussing and the bulkhead - that's assuming the bulkhead is Slip

You could also us a reducing elbow as well like this - again, assuming the bulkhead is slip

its actually a really good idea to run oversized pipe to your bulkhead - it also you to get more throughput to the outlets due te less friction and allows you utilize more of you pumps output capability
Thank you very much. i figured i needed to use a short piece of 1" but was thinking there was a way to use a reducer bushing and it would fit in the 1" bulkhead.

OP
OP
Afish70

Afish70

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you need to ask how to connect a 1.5” by 1” reducing bushing, I suggest you buy 1” pvc for your 1” bulkhead.

The 1” bulkhead limits your flow no matter what size pipe you use. If you want more flow, then go with two 1” bulkheads and then use your 1.5” pvc pipe.

PS. For redundancy sake, two 1 bulkhead connections at different levels provides a back up when a snail plugs up a bulkhead drain and refugium overflows display tank.
The tank came drilled for 1" bulkhead for drains and 3/4" for returns so i cant really do anything but this.

I have planned to do 2 drains. 1 will be about 1" below the wier and the other will be 6" lower than that. Lower one of course being the primary drain.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank came drilled for 1" bulkhead for drains and 3/4" for returns so i cant really do anything but this.

I have planned to do 2 drains. 1 will be about 1" below the wier and the other will be 6" lower than that. Lower one of course being the primary drain.
With that in mind, run your 1.5“ pipe from sump to display with ample room at display overflow box to allow for a second backup drain.

However, even though an 1.5” diameter will flow more than than two 1” diameters, the use of one larger pipe is a “single point” failure, which is not redundancy.

In time, biofouling will reduce diameter of all pipes in our marine ecosystems. Don’t let a snail plug up your drain and wet your floor. Instead, run your wet overflow and your dry overflow with independent 1” pipe. In that way, your back up overflow with drain stays dry with no biofouling.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back