10g IM Nuvo working towards sps dominant

Trahs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 gallon IM tank originally purchased in 2014. Been running this time for probably 7 years. Many changes over those years the tank’s currently in a major overhaul and moving in the right direction.

Currently running a AI Prime Sol
Hydor return pump 185gph I think, over 7 years old so I think its time for a replacement.
Hydor koralia 240gph, attempted to replace with jebao sow-3 but cant adjust low enough. Hoping to get a Nero 3 at some point or a dc return pump with wave function.
Filter media shelf running filter floss and chemi blue.
cobalt heater.

current stock is an oscellaris clown thats probably 5 years old.
Green clown goby new addition.
Forrest fire digi
Ponape birds nest
Burning banana stylo
Green toadstool
Acan lord cut from a random colony.
Captain jack-esque paly’s.

Trying to get the flow and light settings down and started testing daily since yesterday when I saw phosphates were through the roof with nitrates as well. Put on jebao sow-3 earlier and unleashed any dead spot in the tank from the beginning of time. Come to realize that the tank just doesn’t have great flow I am either way too much or not enough and have tons of stagnant area.

will continue to update over time,
Thanks for looking.
Heres some photos ive had from over the years.
6B8448B5-4B56-4552-AF5F-DC57637F2DA7.jpeg
746A9340-EAF0-425F-84DF-ECFB9F757A39.jpeg
8C8245D9-1037-43FD-8F0B-C900A69C9D46.jpeg
59942820-3453-4907-A56B-518DAB643EA9.jpeg
E0D06593-B194-44B6-AAD7-CDCD6FF33A01.jpeg
44F405FD-B469-46C4-B7F8-B094C4B343F3.jpeg

Kaisentlaia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! I'll keep an eye on this thread :)

Be careful with those speckled zoas on the bottom left rock. I have them too and they tend to become invasive especially in higher light. I had to scrape them away from my main rock because they were smothering my other zoas.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm going to keep any eye on this one too and maybe pirate some of your ideas. My Nuvo 10 has been running for the last 2 years as an anemone/clown tank. The anemones are getting an upgrade soon, and I am going to move the 10g on to the desk in my home office (I work from home 4 days a week).

I've been kicking around ideas of what to do with it, and I keep coming back to SPS. The current aquascape would be perfect for it once all the anemones are out, and at 2 years, it's VERY well seasoned. I've been collecting some nice sticks for a different tank upgrade, so I already have some to choose from.

Some suggestions on things I upgraded in my Nuvo 10 that might help you...

I upgraded the return pump to a Jebao DCP-1200 which is roughly the same flow as the MightyJet 326 (but half the price). I added a VCA drop adapter, locline 1/2" to dual 1/4" Y adapter and a pair of 1/4" VCA random flow generators. With this setup, I can run the pump on max flow and not blast anything.

I also recently added a Jebao MLW-5 wavemaker and, while I've figured out some flow settings that don't absolutely batter the anemones, it's still a little too much flow, IMO, for the 10g. Even though it's pretty small the anemone guard I have on mine almost doubles the size of it and limits placement. It was the lowest flow, controllable wavemaker out there (I tried them all) as of last year...

BUT

...Jebao just released a new one this year that's even smaller! I just ordered one from AliExpress, so I won't get it for a month, but the ELW-3m has taken the title of lowest flow, controllable wavemaker. The dimensions seem tiny too, so I'll be excited to try it out when it gets here. Without a need for an anemone guard my placement options should be MUCH more open.

I only plan on having an ATO and a single dosing pump (I have a spare anyway) running TM All for Reef, and I'm running a Prime HD with upgraded LEDs via LUXEngine.

I've got a Candy Stripe pistol shrimp in there that will be staying, along with some Scarlet Reef Hermits and snails. I plan to add a matched pair (I hope) of Yasha Gobies, a Clown Goby of some sort and a Possum Wrasse.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 47 45.6%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 33 32.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back