11 gal Nano AIO

new tank after many years out of the hobby. 11 gal AIO first day of cycle.

72398961661__5C8AF531-00C4-4A2D-A91F-492BC2526D72.jpeg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Congratulations on the new adventure! It looks like you are off to a good start!

OP
OP
leumek

leumek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 weeks into the cycle. ammonia already spiked and so did the Nitrates. looks like everything is headed the right direction. however my salinity went up to 1.028, I have been topping off with RODI but not sure why is not going back to how it was (1.026). As of now I'm using Brightwell aquatics Microbacter Start XLM and Microbacter Quick Cycl

Salinity - 1.028
PH - 8.0
ALK - 8.3 dKH
Ammonia - 1 ppm
Nitrate - 30 ppm
Nitrite - 1 ppm

OP
OP
leumek

leumek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I like the rocks aqua scape. What are your plans for the tank
thank you!, I want it colorful and with nice movement, want to try som GSPs and pulsing Xenias to start I guess and a couple lil fish. not sure what fish exactly tho. recommendations are most welcome.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulsing Xenia grows fast and can take over the tank. If you proceed, put it on its own small rock not touching anything else

Smaller goby would be a good choice

And a nice torch could be a centerpiece coral adding color and movement

OP
OP
leumek

leumek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulsing Xenia grows fast and can take over the tank. If you proceed, put it on its own small rock not touching anything else

Smaller goby would be a good choice

And a nice torch could be a centerpiece coral adding color and movement
thank you! Ill look into the torch, the Xenia, is a request from the kiddo so it will have to go in the tank :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: as well as a shrimp. thanks again!

OP
OP
leumek

leumek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank finally finish cycling, however I have a question regarding flow. I currently have 1 Sicce Voyager Nano steam pump rated for 270 G/ph. my tank volume is 11 gal. question is. is it enough flow or too much flow? the tank return pump moves up too 211 G/ph. should I remove the Sicce and get an adjustable flow power head? (Nero 3??)or just keep the return pump?

OP
OP
leumek

leumek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its been a bit over a month, the tank is doing great, Ive added 2 clowns and a purple fire fish.however the nitrate is sitting at 15-20 ppm. I know thats acceptable but id like to be a bit lower. any pointers? my PO4 is at 0.03 for most part,ALK 8.5 on average, PH at 8.0, Salinity at 35 PPT, Ammonia 0.0 ppm, temperature 76.6- 77.3 (depending of time of the day). Ive only noticed a tiny bit of algae but the CUC seems to be doing its work. just really want to lower the nitrates. am I stressing it too much?

Attachments

• IMG_5216.jpeg
    IMG_5216.jpeg
    172.3 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
leumek

leumek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its been 2 months since I set up the tank and everything seems to be going great. not much algae, had some brown algae for about 2 weeks but it went away pretty quickly. now seeing very minimal green algae on the tank but nothing crazy.

PH: 8.0
ALK: 8.3-8.7
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 15- trying to lower it, with no success.
PO4: 0-0.03
Calcium: 450-480
Temp: 78
Salinity: 1.026

Attachments

• IMG_5239.jpeg
    IMG_5239.jpeg
    185.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5238.jpeg
    IMG_5238.jpeg
    179.2 KB · Views: 49

AZRC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! I would look into different foods and maybe even mechanical filtration to see if anything can be done for nitrate reduction.

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great to see the progress! Your parameters are fine, I don’t think your nitrate level is too concerning. You should easily be able to get it down to 5-10ppm with weekly water changes. You may see green algae start to flare up soon. If and when you do, let it run its course. It should eventually peter out as well.

OP
OP
leumek

leumek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! I would look into different foods and maybe even mechanical filtration to see if anything can be done for nitrate reduction.
Im currently feeding misys once a day, and very little, I was doing twice one misys and the second pellets but down to only one. as far as filtration, Im running a sponge filter, Poly filter, Carbon and a Skimmer.

OP
OP
leumek

leumek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to see the progress! Your parameters are fine, I don’t think your nitrate level is too concerning. You should easily be able to get it down to 5-10ppm with weekly water changes. You may see green algae start to flare up soon. If and when you do, let it run its course. It should eventually peter out as well.
thank you, yes im doing weekly 10-15% water change some green came in in the glass but after the water change from last week it hasn't come back.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back