OP
OP
InsaneClownFish

InsaneClownFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent taste, love the stand panels! This build is inspiration for my own build. Following!
Thank you, I’m getting excited for it. I’m really taking my time with the paneling. The tank won’t be here until probably the end of January, so it gives me ample to pay attention to the details with this build. Today I did a bit more of the finish work with some DAP plastic wood to fill in spots.

Thanks for tagging along!

OP
OP
InsaneClownFish

InsaneClownFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First coat of metallic white gold on. I thinned the paint last night and ragged it on. Today I did a slightly less thinned coat with a tight nap roller. I’ll wet sand then apply a final coat, wet sand again, then do a couple of coats of poly.
IMG_7924.jpeg
IMG_7940.jpeg

Last edited:

Fossilman06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m hoping to have a chance later today to work on the stand- here’s the inspiration.
cube stand.jpeg
That stand is awesome. I also am starting a cube build with a focus on LPS. I've been throwing around the idea on Tslot frame and back and forth on the sheathing/panels. Looking at this design and your stand build, it looks like those panels will slide out/detach for access to sump. Is that correct?

OP
OP
InsaneClownFish

InsaneClownFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That stand is awesome. I also am starting a cube build with a focus on LPS. I've been throwing around the idea on Tslot frame and back and forth on the sheathing/panels. Looking at this design and your stand build, it looks like those panels will slide out/detach for access to sump. Is that correct?
The stand will be corrosion treated steel. These panels will literally sit on the outside of the stand frame. I’m going to put handles toward the top so I can just lift them away to access the sump.
The back panels will sit with the point to the wall. The other three panels can lift away for three sided access.

Fossilman06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stand will be corrosion treated steel. These panels will literally sit on the outside of the stand frame. I’m going to put handles toward the top so I can just lift them away to access the sump.
The back panels will sit with the point to the wall. The other three panels can lift away for three sided access.
You fabricating the steel frame also? How are you treating? Coating?

OP
OP
InsaneClownFish

InsaneClownFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You fabricating the steel frame also? How are you treating? Coating?
CDA is building the steel stand. They offer a 5yr warranty if you use their steel stand and deck. They treat it with a rust resistant primer which is supposed to be equivalent or better to powder coating. I had this treatment on my last stand from them and it looks very similar to white powder coating.

Fossilman06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been really good with taking my time on this. 4 coats of metallic white gold paint wet sanded between coats- 400,600,600,1500

First coat of poly on- glass
The pictures don’t do it justice.
*plz excuse my disaster of a workspace rn
IMG_8036.jpeg
IMG_8053.jpeg
IMG_8066.jpeg
IMG_8050.jpeg
The metallic gold is going to pop. How far off the wall you coming out when you place it?

OP
OP
InsaneClownFish

InsaneClownFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took some time tonight to wet sand the stand again and apply a second coat of poly. I had a handful of air bubble to work out because the garage is too cold, so before the second coat I set up a space heater. The second coat already looks more even.

What could be more exciting than cleaning old sand?? Tonight’s project- started rinsing out all the really nice Seachem calcium carbonate I had from my old softie reef.
IMG_8076.jpeg
IMG_8079.jpeg

Korrupt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get the IM? That’s a great tank. I almost went for it on the 50% off sale- it was so tempting
Hey sorry just saw this. Yes it’s the IM 112 but I snagged it used off Facebook for a few hundred. Have been running the ATI Stratton light I grabbed on Black Friday. Holy crap is it awesome. The stand looks phenomenal also btw.
000E9E44-CAC8-41FC-B014-229551C12140.jpeg

OP
OP
InsaneClownFish

InsaneClownFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up my original cube tank I had on loan to a fellow reefer. I used this on my 8ft build 15yrs ago as a show fuge. I’m considering adding it to the new tank as a show fuge and backing off the bio reactor media amount.

Now my head is filled with thoughts of how to integrate it :cool:
IMG_8297.jpeg
IMG_8298.jpeg

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 17 23.0%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back