OP
OP
ProjectAnemone

ProjectAnemone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i see the knife, what is your cutting procedure/process?

I have a dedicated propagation table that is always set up. Pic in post #3 of this tread.

• Fill the 10g ½ way with tank water and add an air stone, along with one of my Avast Marine media reactors containing carbon.
  • Remove the nems to be cut from their baskets and put them in one of the holding trays (with tank water)
  • Set the nem to be cut on the cutting board and let it deflate/relax, some take a few minutes, some deflate in seconds.
  • Spread the nem out as flat as possible, and part the tentacles down the cut line
  • Then cut. One clean cut right through the mouth. I use the knife shown in the pic. Its sharp, long and provides a clean cut. I’m thinking of transitioning to a ceramic blade soon.
  • Place the bifurcated nem in the small tub and rinse the 1/2s before placing them in the 10g
  • Let the cut nems sit in the 10g for 45 mins before returning them to the baskets in the tub.
I keep them in the 10g with carbon for 45 mins as they put out a lot of slime and nematocysts in to the water. I didn't realize how much, untill I did a bunch of cuts and placed the nems back in the main prop tub, then watched the SW acclimated fresh water mollies (for algae control and food) start to turn white, swim like they were drunk, and die. The idea for the mollies, was that they breed like crazy, and the babies would swim through the baskests providing a revolving source of nem food. It didn't work.

coralreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you add iodine/Lugosi in the 10 gallon to keep the cut nems from getting a bacterial infection? Just curious. I use Lugosi in the water when I cut mini carpets. Can't be sure it helps but I haven't lost one yet[emoji3]

OP
OP
ProjectAnemone

ProjectAnemone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont use lugols or any other meds. Maybe I should. On a side note, I'm picking up three new morphs this week.

OP
OP
ProjectAnemone

ProjectAnemone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crappy cellphone pics. But here's the three new guys.

IMG_9253_zpsbf399f2f.jpg

IMG_9254_zpsb3d72b9c.jpg

FullSizeRender_zpse1089606.jpg

OP
OP
ProjectAnemone

ProjectAnemone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm done collecting broodstock, now I just want to see how well I can propagate them. When I get to 200+ I will enter the market place in some way. I'm thinking of group buys to reef clubs, supplier to the LFS in the area and limited individual sale via the web.

coralreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the pics. I used to have a couple dozen BTA and would sell the splits, but I didn't prop them. Now I have 2 BTA and 27 mini carpets :)
I would like to have several different morphs of BTA too so I'll be following along.

gtbarsi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is really cool!

Some questions about the propagation system.
What are you using for a bio filter?
I think I saw some power heads in the fiberglass tank, am I correct? If not what are you using for flow?
What are you using for a return pump in your in tank sump where does it go, how much flow?
I see you have carbon for the 10 gallon tank you use when splitting the nems, what about the main propagation system?
Are you using any other medias?

What if any new food source are you using or decided to use?

OP
OP
ProjectAnemone

ProjectAnemone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is really cool!

Some questions about the propagation system.
What are you using for a bio filter?

I have two Avast Marine reactors that run in series, carbon to bio-pellets.

I think I saw some power heads in the fiberglass tank, am I correct? If not what are you using for flow?

The tub is approx
120"x24"x12" and has two Jebao pumps at one end that create a wave. There is also a Mag 7 at the other end of the tub. It does not look like a lot of flow, ‘till you see the clowns fighting the wave as they swim.

What are you using for a return pump in your in tank sump where does it go, how much flow?

The sump is a 20g that sits in the tub ( http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu278/Leishman/IMG_6539_zps25023439.jpg ) surface water flows in via holes drilled in the side of the 20g. The sump holds an Avast Marine CS-2 skimmer that outflows (through carbon) to the main tub. Flow through the sump is slow, just the outflow of the skimmer which is fed by an old MJ900.

I see you have carbon for the 10 gallon tank you use when splitting the nems, what about the main propagation system?

Skimmer outflows through carbon, and there are reactors that run in series, carbon to bio-pellets.

Are you using any other medias?

I have two Avast Marine reactors that run in series, carbon to bio-pellets.

What if any new food source are you using or decided to use?

PE Mysis and raw table shrimp.

http://vid655.photobucket.com/albums/uu278/Leishman/Mobile Uploads/IMG_9065_zps1c225b4a.mp4

I hope to get a lot done this weekend between my son's hockey games. The wife is out of town, so that always equals more tank time.

Last edited:

CRW Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is pretty awesome!!! I have 8 sunbursts that i am trying to naturally keep and propagate but this is def inspiration!!! Ill be following along closely

OP
OP
ProjectAnemone

ProjectAnemone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is pretty awesome!!! I have 8 sunbursts that i am trying to naturally keep and propagate but this is def inspiration!!! Ill be following along closely

After that comment your PM box will be full before the end of the day!

Post a pic, I would love to see that.

Last edited:

CRW Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol bah ha ya im sure happens every time i say something about them. Unfortunately i dont ship and I dont sell :p However a good pal of mine Gonzo Coral Frags usually has a few.

Are you going to be getting a sunburst? :p

OP
OP
ProjectAnemone

ProjectAnemone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now using my old AIO w/carbon in the back chamber.

IMG_9393_zps46ea4e30.jpg

Used it today and it worked better than the old rig.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 64 34.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back