15gal SPS dominated nano

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty inspirational actually. I only test in the beginning of a tanks life. Once corals take off, I just keep up with water changes only. I test water change water for salinity, that's it. I'll test for ph and alkalinity when I start a new bag of salt. After that, I get pretty lazy.

CoralManz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to point out...5 months. I thought it was pretty crazy. Loving the growth.
Love seeing growth shots like this
This
14055479615_57b995d2b7_b.jpg

To this
15199807417_a35da8b16a_b.jpg

OP
OP
SCMatt

SCMatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. Been a while. Still alive and kicking, having a bit of a brown algae issue recently. I think I need to do more WCs. Currently moving the location of my RO filter (offsite not at home) so I've pushed the WCs longer than I usually like to until the filter gets back up running and tested. No real huge growth to be honest. I think again a byproduct of my WC schedule getting wonky. Monti cap has almost overtaken the sunset Milli under it, but that milli I don't think has even grown an inch since I glued it to the rock so it's a bit disappointing.

Still would like to upgrade the entire system, but with Canon releasing a new camera I kind of want that instead. Which would kill any upgrade plans almost indefinitely for the near future. We'll see what happens!

Don't normally do this, but here is a shot of the nasty tank that needs cleaning. Might as well be honest about it right?? You can see the coral still looks great, just gotta nix that algae. Still surprised even missing some WCs in a tank this small that a full SPS tank can be doing this well.
28679830413_6d343e64a3_h.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks good!

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this tank,i literally joined just because of this tank. How's the tank holding up ? Also,what do you think the biggest struggle for a tank this size to sustain so many sps ?

OP
OP
SCMatt

SCMatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. The biggest problems I've had is salinity swings if my ATO doesn't work properly or the float gets stuck for whatever reason, stuff like that. Which seems to cause a few of the SPS branches to almost split their skin like a STN. Once I get salinity back stable and correct they always grow back like normal. Had it happen on the Cali Tort and Slimer. Also nutrient issues, see Algae above. Just a little food can really bump up the levels quite fast so you really have to stay on top of water changes. And I'm only running it with 2 clowns but they can produce quite a bit of waste. Basically just keeping on top of your general levels I'd say. It's important in any tank, but a tank this small with no sump it can swing and go bad much faster.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree 110% on the ato situation,ive been having problems with mine sticking even after letting it soak in vinegar over night. Which ato do you run ?

I've never heard of the skin splitting,thats super odd. But thankfully everything recovered smoothly. I had a 2 gallon crammed with about 20 sps pieces and never had a problem with nutrients (even with heavy feedings and a neon goby) but with salt,Aquavitro Salinity to be exact. Even when i used RSCP salt and alk was thru the roof my growth was awesome,but with Aquavitro everything went pale then brown then RTN'd within 2 weeks.

Sebastian Costin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see that the ATO sensor is exposed directly on aquarium water/flow/biofilm and this may be the reason of failure.
Simply create a protection case from a transparent drug vial.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 50 25.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back