180 Display plus 250 Sump Build

DARTMOOR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so still new to the hobby but here goes my first build. I purchased a 75 gallon reef tank on craigslist with some fish near dead corals back in April and have caught the bug to go bigger and bigger after watching the tank come back to life.

I'll try to spare you guys the boring back stories- blah blah blah same as before but in short here goes: Purchased a 180 gallon Marineland this past weekend for my new tank. I also picked up an 8'x4'x18" acrylic tank for the sump (oh yea MONSTER SUMP) Basic plan as it currently stands is to have the main 180 display in the dining room, and turn a room in the basement directly below into the fish/sump room.

Still new at this and still fresh full of ideas so any advice much appreciated. I plan on taking my time on this build so if there's water in the tank by February I will be pleasantly surprised.

photo 1.jpg
photo 2.jpg

OP
OP
DARTMOOR

DARTMOOR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
photo 3.jpg

Well the picture is sideways from my phone but starting to build the stand. 2x2 tube steel frame. I'm also using 1/4" plywood on top not necessarily for support since its 1/4" and practically just thick paper but just to get the extra 1/4" of height to get the stand to 40.25" above the floor for the bottom of the tank. Hoping the 1/4" will have a little bit of play in it to help the tank level out instead of using foam... read on a thread Marineland advises against foam.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
congratulations on the new purchase! It looks to me like that alcove was built for your tank :) your plan sounds completely awesome - what have you thought about keeping in the display tank? your sump sounds perfect for a gigantic refugium!

OP
OP
DARTMOOR

DARTMOOR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely going with the refugium, along with the biggest skimmer I can afford, and I want to section of an area for mangroves just because I can.

Not sure what I want in the display yet, I'm leaning towards SPS dominant tank though but as far as fish I'm not sure yet. But I have time!

reggaedrummin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think some bracing is in order in the stand... I'm not sure if I'm reading the sketch right but it looks like you're planning to leave the front completely open and cross brace the back? I'd consider bracing the middle in both the front and back, and you can just corner brace the corners to keep it true. While I have seen some steel left completely open, 6 feet is a wide span and I'd suggest the conservative approach. As far as stocking goes, I'm a big fan of anthias. In a reef of your size, you could keep a whole school of them and enjoy watching them morph.

OP
OP
DARTMOOR

DARTMOOR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think some bracing is in order in the stand... I'm not sure if I'm reading the sketch right but it looks like you're planning to leave the front completely open and cross brace the back? I'd consider bracing the middle in both the front and back, and you can just corner brace the corners to keep it true. While I have seen some steel left completely open, 6 feet is a wide span and I'd suggest the conservative approach. As far as stocking goes, I'm a big fan of anthias. In a reef of your size, you could keep a whole school of them and enjoy watching them morph.

I do appreciate the advice. I had the bracing in the original sketch and after consulting with some of in-house frame experts for heavy equipment we ended up removing all bracing. This thing should be more than strong enough.

OP
OP
DARTMOOR

DARTMOOR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also thanks for the advice on the anthias. I have never been a big fan of them but after researching their "morphing" behavior I will definitely have to get a few in the thank.

OP
OP
DARTMOOR

DARTMOOR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
weld.jpg
stand grind.jpg
stand frame.jpg

I've been MIA and busy traveling the past few weeks but here are the latest updates. Stand is complete as of last night and the epoxy paint is drying. Should be in place by tomorrow evening.

OP
OP
DARTMOOR

DARTMOOR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay back on track, since my last post the stand for the 8' x 4' 250 gallon sump has been completed.

I have also started the fabrication on an exhaust hood which will be suspended over the sump to extract the moisture and heat from the sump/fish room. This hood will also serve as a light housing for the refugium and mangroves in the sump.

OP
OP
DARTMOOR

DARTMOOR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank in place.jpg
plumbing hole.jpg

Tank is in place on the stand and the holes have been cut for the drain and supply line plumbing running to the fish room below.

OP
OP
DARTMOOR

DARTMOOR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
basement 1.jpg
basement 2.jpg

Since these pictures were taken last I have almost completed wiring in the sump room with enough outlets for a the all pumps and Apex System. The next step will be to coat the floors in an apoxy paint, and start the sheet rock for the walls.

OP
OP
DARTMOOR

DARTMOOR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hood lights.jpg

After countless hours trying to make up my mind I've decided to go with the old trusty T5's for the mangrove and refugium macro algae grow lights.

Pictured is the light installation phase

OP
OP
DARTMOOR

DARTMOOR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
moon install 1.jpg

And of course how can you have a massive mangrove sump and refugium without a bit of moonlighting at night. Installing LEDs for the moonlight affect.

OP
OP
DARTMOOR

DARTMOOR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
polish 1.jpg
photo 4.jpg

This is the sump hood nearly completed after a fresh brush polish. I still need to finish wiring the T5's and LED's and then it will be 100% and ready to hang once I finish the fish room in the basement, and plum the sump in of course. For now, it's just a really cool paper weight.

zach_discus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank. I'm a half way through my structural engineering degree and have my Wabo welding certs (machinist by trade). I would add at least one cross brace on the back and a center support front and rear. Static force will not be a problem., but with 3/4 ton of moving water. That stands going to collapse laterally after the first couple waves.

OP
OP
DARTMOOR

DARTMOOR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what I keep hearing, I convinced now. I'm going to add a back brace. Will cut one to length and bolt it on this week. Thanks for the tips.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 133 42.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back