180 gallon corner reef ready tank, questions about upgrades

Legonch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got an older 180 rr with the corner overflows. I have some concerns regarding. First, the drains will only allow 1 inch in each overflow. Also, the returns can only be 3/4 inch.

I will have my sump, and return pump in the baesment. I have a reeflo hammerhead/barracuda pump, that will flow a lot of water.

First question, will two 1 inch drains handle this pump flowing 5000 gph, with around 15 feet of head?
Secondly, will 3/4 inch returns allow sufficient return flow back into the tank? From what im reading, these returns and drains seem to be on the small side of things.

Tank will be a mixed reef, more sps than others. So I do need lots of flow. I plan on adding two mp40s on each side for flow inside tank.

With that information, do I need to add a different overflow that would handle more water, i.e. synergy reef, set up as a bean animal? Or will this tank be okay as is?

Im sure I left out lots of details, so please feel free to ask to clarify. Thank you in advance for any ideas and advice.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well u can make all the returns into drains and then run the returns over the top of the tank

OP
OP
Legonch

Legonch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought about making a herbie overflow in each corner overflow. Running returns over the back. Not crazy about returns over the back but that may be the easiest setup. Also thought about drilling tank and make a bean animal overflow. Use two of the drilled holes in corner as returns and plug the other holes off.

Would that work?

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it would just make sure ur not drilling tempered glass

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 139 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 112 34.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back