180 gallon tank build question about weight on floors

FreshSaltyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

In the middle of putting together my 180 gallon tank. I'm getting ready to bring it all into the house from the garage. I have Lifeproof waterproof Vinyl planks on a cement slab throughout the entire house, so the stand and of course tank will sit on top of this. Obviously this is a bunch of weight to sit on these floors. Is there something I can put underneath the stand to help prevent any damage to the flooring? OR am I worrying about nothing because either the weight is distributed throughout and it won't cause much of an issue or is it just part of the hobby to accept that the planks will get dented with all the weight?

Also, off subject but about 3 month ago I bought live rock from a guy directly out of his FISH ONLY tank. I immediately put it in salt water barrels in my garage and it has been there ever since however I couldn't control the temps well sometimes the water got as high as 85-86 degrees. These rocks are still in barrels and I went to smell them today and they don't smell like anything literally not one scent of anything. The other barrel has a very very faint fresh saltwater smell.
I just took a Master test kit (yes I know not the best but all I had on me right now) to check Ammonia levels and after the required 5 minute way I think a reading of about 0.25ppm or less is in there. I attached 2 pics of the results 1 in the sun with the sun to my back and the other in the shade. Can anyone help me if the rock is good to go into the new tank?

Thanks!

Mike

PXL_20230925_205704454.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg PXL_20230925_205715345.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't hesitate to use your rock. I woild get some new maricultured live rock just to be sure to get some of the organisms we can't easily get elsewhere

As far as weight figure 8.3 lbs per gallon, ~500 lbs for tank and stand = ~2000 lbs. ~2000 ÷ ~9 sqft (esymatrd footprint of stand) ~ 220 lbs per square foot. Not enough for me to worry about on a concrete slab.

I like API's pH, alk and calcium test kits but thier ammonia test kit leaves something to be desired (in the interest of full disclosure it's been years since I've tested any of my tanks for ammonia).

OP
OP
F

FreshSaltyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

In the middle of putting together my 180 gallon tank. I'm getting ready to bring it all into the house from the garage. I have Lifeproof waterproof Vinyl planks on a cement slab throughout the entire house, so the stand and of course tank will sit on top of this. Obviously this is a bunch of weight to sit on these floors. Is there something I can put underneath the stand to help prevent any damage to the flooring? OR am I worrying about nothing because either the weight is distributed throughout and it won't cause much of an issue or is it just part of the hobby to accept that the planks will get dented with all the weight?

Also, off subject but about 3 month ago I bought live rock from a guy directly out of his FISH ONLY tank. I immediately put it in salt water barrels in my garage and it has been there ever since however I couldn't control the temps well sometimes the water got as high as 85-86 degrees. These rocks are still in barrels and I went to smell them today and they don't smell like anything literally not one scent of anything. The other barrel has a very very faint fresh saltwater smell.
I just took a Master test kit (yes I know not the best but all I had on me right now) to check Ammonia levels and after the required 5 minute way I think a reading of about 0.25ppm or less is in there. I attached 2 pics of the results 1 in the sun with the sun to my back and the other in the shade. Can anyone help me if the rock is good to go into the new tank?

Thanks!

Mike

PXL_20230925_205704454.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg PXL_20230925_205715345.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

I wouldn't hesitate to use your rock. I woild get some new maricultured live rock just to be sure to get some of the organisms we can't easily get elsewhere

As far as weight figure 8.3 lbs per gallon, ~500 lbs for tank and stand = ~2000 lbs. ~2000 ÷ ~9 sqft (esymatrd footprint of stand) ~ 220 lbs per square foot. Not enough for me to worry about on a concrete slab.

I like API's pH, alk and calcium test kits but thier ammonia test kit leaves something to be desired (in the interest of full disclosure it's been years since I've tested any of my tanks for ammonia).
I'm not worried about the slab. I'm worried about the flooring on the slab lol. Since it's vinyl water proof flooring will that tank weight make a indent on the flooring boards or is there something I can put underneath to protect the floors?
Also, don't forget the 180+/- lbs. of live rock in the tank too.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are different types of vynal flooring, some softer than others. I guess, and as I have no clue about your flooring, it's just a guess, if your stand has feet on the bottom that will concentrate the weight on small areas you will end up having dents. How well th vynal will rebound once the tank is moved is anybody's guess. If your stand has a layer of plywood on the bottom or has a continuous foot of 2x4 around it I would guess it wouldn't cause any compression. An experiment you could do is stack 5 buckets of water and see if that causes any compression. If you want to go ahead and be safe you could get a sheet of 3/4" plywood cut to several inches longer and wider than your stand and that would distribute the wieght more irregardless of how the bottom of your stand is configured.

FWIW, 180 lbs of rock is diplacing roughly 75-80 lbs of water. Considering the error margin not having exact numbers there' not much difference overall.

OP
OP
F

FreshSaltyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are different types of vynal flooring, some softer than others. I guess, and as I have no clue about your flooring, it's just a guess, if your stand has feet on the bottom that will concentrate the weight on small areas you will end up having dents. How well th vynal will rebound once the tank is moved is anybody's guess. If your stand has a layer of plywood on the bottom or has a continuous foot of 2x4 around it I would guess it wouldn't cause any compression. An experiment you could do is stack 5 buckets of water and see if that causes any compression. If you want to go ahead and be safe you could get a sheet of 3/4" plywood cut to several inches longer and wider than your stand and that would distribute the wieght more irregardless of how the bottom of your stand is configured.

FWIW, 180 lbs of rock is diplacing roughly 75-80 lbs of water. Considering the error margin not having exact numbers there' not much difference overall.
So I have the Floorer brand LVP which uses a SPC core which is suppose to be able to handle 500 lb. Per plank from the quick research I did. My stand is uses the 2x4 all the way around. Do I still need to put 3/4" plywood and if so is it a certain type or ? And can I just cut it to the same size as the bottom without it sticking out? Sounds like I should be ok?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are going to have to ask the manufacturer. However, most flooring is quite strong since the points on high heels can often 1000+ PSI.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have the Floorer brand LVP which uses a SPC core which is suppose to be able to handle 500 lb. Per plank from the quick research I did. My stand is uses the 2x4 all the way around. Do I still need to put 3/4" plywood and if so is it a certain type or ? And can I just cut it to the same size as the bottom without it sticking out? Sounds like I should be ok?

Simple answer, you're fine.

Sorry in advance but here is a pointed and not so nice comment - if you can't decide this for your self with the research you've done on what is a very simple and straight forward aspect of setting up a reef system I'd suggest you try a different hobby. You are going to encounter far, far more complex issues that will not be straight forward like this one.

OP
OP
F

FreshSaltyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info all. @Timfish no need for the apology. I was really looking for concurrence. Sometimes calling the flooring manufacturer and with them saying it's fine, you hear from others that's not the case. There are many scenarios that can play out so I was just putting feelers out there. I've been in the fish hobby for 20+ years, just nothing to this extent/size weight.
Thanks again!

OP
OP
F

FreshSaltyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info all. @Timfish no need for the apology. I was really looking for concurrence. Sometimes calling the flooring manufacturer and with them saying it's fine, you hear from others that's not the case. There are many scenarios that can play out so I was just putting feelers out there. I've been in the fish hobby for 20+ years, just nothing to this extent/size weight.
Thanks again!
Fyi I contacted the flooring company (Flooret) yesterday and they confirmed that my floors will be fine and they can support 250 lbs. Per sq. in. So all

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%

Back