2 fish

josephmiller736

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking at starting out with a 20 gallon saltwater tank here soon. I want a pair of clown fish for sure as well as one more type of fish, and 2 live coral. Maybe 3 coral. As well as 2-3 blue legged hermit crabs. Is that too much for a 20 gallon tank?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 clowns are fine. No more fish after that.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Above post isn't wrong. Clowns for all their glory through Disney are actually jerks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’m looking at starting out with a 20 gallon saltwater tank here soon. I want a pair of clown fish for sure as well as one more type of fish, and 2 live coral. Maybe 3 coral. As well as 2-3 blue legged hermit crabs. Is that too much for a 20 gallon tank?
If you want other fish in the tank, make the clowns the last addition as they are territorial, can get nasty and are sneaky with aggression.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum!
I agree you’d be capped on fish with 2 clowns. You might be able to get away with some sand dwelling fish like a yellow watchman goby, but that completely depends on the personality of the clownfish. My pair would destroy anything that goes near their tank.
As for the inverts, you can do way more. I’d be looking at at least 10 hermits if you want them to have any dent on algae and detritus (you also will want snails for similar purposes). Corals are really a matter of how much you are willing to spend on the tank. Once you get one you’ll find that there isn’t really ever a stopping point.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awe yall are clown haters! Lol I have a pair in each of my tanks. Not a tank without clowns if you ask me! OP get two babies (different sizes) since they are so dang cute when little :) but dont be fooled they turn nasty and bite when they are adults. Had one jump out of my tank just to bite me in the forehead once lol

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure that two or three corals is the right idea (especially if this means coral frags). To have coral, you'll need different (better, more expensive, brighter) lighting, and the associated algae issues that can come along with that. You'll also need a lot better control over water parameters (test kits, time, a bag or bucket to hold the hair that you pull out). Those things might be more worth it for something closer to a full blown reef tank.

Just thinking about cost-benefit analysis on adding a couple corals vs sticking with fish/inverts only.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 50 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 176 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.9%
Back