2-part and kalk?

Singlefin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running kalk in my ATO for a couple months now. Manually adding calcium, alk and mag. I finally have my numbers where I want them. I just got a dosing pump and am trying to figure out my numbers. My question is, should I stop running kalk in my ATO? Kalk seems good but because its added with evaporation, would it be more accurate to go back to Rodi and dose with an auto dosing pump. Seems if I go back to Rodi I'm taking one variable and possibility for error out of the equation. Thanks.

OP
OP
Singlefin

Singlefin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been testing daily and it looks like I use 10ppm of calcium and 1dkh alk a day with kalk in my ATO. I think I also lose about 3/4g in evaporation a day.

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take the kalk off unless your 2 part consumption was so high that it was spiking your ph. With 1 dkh and 10 ppm a day, you should not need 2 methods. Also, what product are you using for 2 part? I've always used the Randy's 2 part which I buy from BRS, using this product has a nice benefit in that BRS has a great calculator to use with it.

OP
OP
Singlefin

Singlefin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Ill stop the kalk as soon as this bucket is done. Probably a couple days. I'm using the BRS recipe but not getting my calcium and alk from them. I found a cheaper source and BRS kills me on the shipping. I've been using it to manually to bring my numbers up, which have always been low before I started, and I finally have them where I want them. Automating it will make it a lot easier. Thanks.

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm drip dosing kalk now I plan on doing that till consumption becomes to high then Ill add my 2 part dosers into the mix!
Kalk can be dangerous but also it's a great way to replenish ur cal and alk in equal parts it also helps lower po4 and my sps never looked better then when I use kalk not suer why but sps seem to love it! Also it is super cheap much cheaper then / part

o-t-c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use vinegared (oversaturated) kalk and 2 part for whatever the kalk can't handle. I think kalk has many advantages over 2 part, but I can't handle my consumption with just kalk. I strongly prefer using kalk as my first line in Ca/Alk maintenence.

OP
OP
Singlefin

Singlefin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Would be nice to get it dialed in and not have to test so often.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 35 49.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back