2 Part Dosing Question Lost 2 brains and Elegance Coral not happy

Wichbeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fairly new to the hobby. I think I have an issue with stabilizing my ALK. I’ve been working on setting up my BRS 2 Part Doser. this is where I'm at. Dosing CAL at 72 ml during the day and that’s been stable at 410. Currently I’ve dosed ALK at 200 ml at night. Trying to maintain 8 dk. I'd be ok with 7 but its dropped below 6dk . So I'd like a little wiggle room. Testing every two days at 6:30 am and I’m finding that I drop about 1dk every two days. So I manually add 200 ml at that time and then adjust the timer to dose more ALK and retest two days later and repeat.

Does all this seem reasonable? I’m losing my Elegance coral and I’ve lost both Open brain corals.

125g Mixed Reef.
Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0, PO4 0, Alk 7, Cal 410, Mag 1275, PH 8.2

2 Yellow Tangs, Valentino Puffer, 3 Blue/green Chromis, 2 Snowflake Clowns, Melanurus Wrasse, Bi Color Angel, Blood red Fire Shrimp, Scarlet Shrimp, Sand sifting star fish, Assorted snails

Small cluster of Birds nest, Frog Spawn Coral, Xina, Kenya tree, Zoas, Candy canes, Hammer coral, Elegance coral, GSP

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt you lost corals due to the alk, but I can't rule it out.

That said your plan to get to a good daily dose seems fine.

I'd personally match the calcium to the determined alk dose until the calcium actually seemed to be rising too high (since it is much slower to respond to over or under dosing, you are likely underdosing it and just do not see the effects yet).

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 110 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 85 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 41 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 13 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.6%
Back