2 part dosing question...

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can someone help me understand how dosing 2-part works. I figured it was basically like adding to supplement ca, mg, and Alk (like you add a certain amount based on your parameter readings), but today I read Kent's instructions for their nano dosing system and they provide a dosage based on tank/system size rather than params. Do you dose 2-part based on tank size or parameter readings?

ChristopherKriens

Unknown Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank size doesn't play much of a role, the major factor will be how quickly the elements are taken up by your calcifying critters. It could be the same for a 29 gallon and a 90.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tank size doesn't play much of a role, the major factor will be how quickly the elements are taken up by your calcifying critters. It could be the same for a 29 gallon and a 90.

That's what I thought. Kent's instructions were "add x amount for x gallons" and I was just thinking that didn't make sense.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agreed. I always start at dosing next to nothing and increase as needed to maintain parameters. Those Kent directions are terrible.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed from Kent to Seachem Reef Fusion because of the bad directions. Reef fusion tells you exactly how much you'll be adding to the tank.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your instinct (or prior reading) was correct - dose according to your tests.

Use the Reef Calculator to plug in your test results and know the correct amount to dose.

IMO it is nicer to start with Brightwell or another supplement which gives you complete and correct usage instructions.

-Matt

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most companies guidlines are for dosing per aquarium size to bring levels to correct parameters. But the problem is without testing you could already be too high or too low or maybe you could be spot on. So you need to test first and then if you are low you can add the recommened dose to bring levels up. Then wait a few days to see what your tank has consumed and then use the reef calculater to setup a dosing regiment.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 110 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 85 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 41 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 13 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.6%
Back