2 part dosing question

BluTang85

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I’ve been using 2 part for about 6 months now. I’m pretty dead on with Dosing 11 ml from both alk and cal. Now I’ve read a few articles stating they dos alk and cal at different times due to a chemical reaction, or at different areas of the tank. Anyone else heard this? Also in thinking about dosing kalk as well to help ph, it’s in my basement which usually contains higher co2. Anyone out there run 2 part and add kalk to help ph.

Alk-9.0
Cal-435
Ph ranges 7.8-8

Tanggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using 2 part for about 6 months now. I’m pretty dead on with Dosing 11 ml from both alk and cal. Now I’ve read a few articles stating they dos alk and cal at different times due to a chemical reaction, or at different areas of the tank. Anyone else heard this? Also in thinking about dosing kalk as well to help ph, it’s in my basement which usually contains higher co2. Anyone out there run 2 part and add kalk to help ph.

Alk-9.0
Cal-435
Ph ranges 7.8-8
Yes alk and calcium should be dosed apart. If they are dosed together they will precipitate out.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So dose at seperate times or seperate locations
it shouldn't really matter. are you using a dosing pump as many of them will run at separate times anyways. just dose in an area with some flow and you will be fine.

you just cant mix them together and then dose them.

cheers

OP
OP
BluTang85

BluTang85

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
it shouldn't really matter. are you using a dosing pump as many of them will run at separate times anyways. just dose in an area with some flow and you will be fine.

you just cant mix them together and then dos them.

cheers
I’m using an apex dos and on seperate pumps. Is it better to dos at night with alk I heard it helps keep ph up at night

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using an apex dos and on seperate pumps. Is it better to dos at night with alk I heard it helps keep ph up at night

That's a recipe for big swings, which corals hate.

Dose evenly throughout the day, dose Cal 10 minutes after alk. Space your doses evenly. pH is nice, and can make a difference for big, heavy stocked, large tanks. which means it'll make very little difference for you at your stage.

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to dose Alk, 18.6ml of Triton over 30 mins once a day. I measured my dKh at around 13:30 daily and it was always stable. I recently added an Alkatronic (great piece of kit with fabulous customer service) and noted that the dKh jumped by nearly 0.3 when the dosing occurred. I now dose 12 doses a day and the dKh is level throughout the day and corals are much happier.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to dose Alk, 18.6ml of Triton over 30 mins once a day. I measured my dKh at around 13:30 daily and it was always stable. I recently added an Alkatronic (great piece of kit with fabulous customer service) and noted that the dKh jumped by nearly 0.3 when the dosing occurred. I now dose 12 doses a day and the dKh is level throughout the day and corals are much happier.

Exactly. And some people would consider a jump of 0.3 in a half hour a potential emergency.

I dose 24x per day. Julian Sprung doses every 10 minutes. This is why calcium reactors are superior, they never stop dosing, it's a continuous drip, 24/7

Last edited:

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 31 15.2%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 48 23.5%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 117 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back