2-Part + Kalk

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone dose 2-part (calcium and alkalinity) via dosing pumps plus kalk via dosing pumps/reactor? I just picked up more Litermeter pumps and I was considering dosing kalk to increase the overall stability of my aquarium, particularly to help my pH remain stable. I will have to find a good balance between the 2-part and kalk because the kalk will also increase my alkalinity and calcium. I feel that this will give me overall better control of my parameters as I will be able to adjust my kalk doses to maintain the pH I'm looking for. My aquarium is in the basement, so keeping an elevated pH can be challenging.

I would like to hear feedback from others dosing all three. Thanks!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea over all (I do it) but I would forget about doing it to control pH. If your pH is really a problem, then this is not a solution.

The easiest way to integrate limewater into your routine will be to run it at full tilt (i.e. fully saturated lime water) connected to your ATO.

Say you have a 100 gallon system and your ATO adds five gallons of top-off water per week. Figuring with the Reef Chemistry Calculator, this five gallons will get you about a 40 ppm bump in calcium and 5 dKH (2 meq/L) of alkalinity every week. You should be able to back-compute these numbers (well, your own version of them) into your two-part regime pretty reasonably.

-Matt

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I considered doing this with the ATO but depending on the day evaporation can be different. It might end up being too much volume to deal with via the dosing pump, I have my two part dosing from 5-gallon buckets and I have room for one more, so that could potentially work. I like the idea of precise control vs the ATO. When I dosed limewater in the past via ATO I felt like I just had to keep dumping kalk in without any assurance of what the potency was.

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a fan of having kalk in my top off. Like you said, evaporation rates change, and you have the added possibility of nuking your tank if top off failed.
I dose saturated Kalk and vinegar on one of my modules (currently 350ml daily) and I'm dosing 75ml of B-ionic cal and alk. The parameters are very stable and I save a few $$ in two part.

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a fan of having kalk in my top off. Like you said, evaporation rates change, and you have the added possibility of nuking your tank if top off failed.
I dose saturated Kalk and vinegar on one of my modules (currently 350ml daily) and I'm dosing 75ml of B-ionic cal and alk. The parameters are very stable and I save a few $$ in two part.

What recipe do you follow for the saturated limewater? I have a 5-gallon bucket of kalk from BRS that I need to use up! Increasing the saturation with vinegar would help reduces the volume necessary. Right now I dose 250mL of A and B daily, which could probably be reduced some with dosing limewater + vinegar.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I considered doing this with the ATO but depending on the day evaporation can be different. It might end up being too much volume to deal with via the dosing pump, I have my two part dosing from 5-gallon buckets and I have room for one more, so that could potentially work. I like the idea of precise control vs the ATO. When I dosed limewater in the past via ATO I felt like I just had to keep dumping kalk in without any assurance of what the potency was.

That's why you figure it by the week.

Unless your house temperature varies widely every day (no HVAC?) the weekly will be very consistent, with small changes happening with the seasons (mostly when HVAC isn't running).

People overestimate what it takes to get water saturated with lime. Once you get it all wet, you are done. Don't do anything else (no stirring, no mixing!) but dose the clear solution.

If you want to dose with more confidence, check out a kalk reactor. I like the ultimate simplicity of the Tunze 5074 reactor, personally....had mine running for several years now without issue.

Whether you use a reactor or not, you can also verify the "strength" of you limewater with a pH test. Limewater should test at about 12, within the accuracy of your test.

I don't think you'll need more that that pump...I dose a 100 gallon system using an Aqualifter (<3gph) and that's not even a stretch. If it does turn out to be too much, Aqualifters are cheap and there are other options.

I hope this helps! :)

-Matt

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What recipe do you follow for the saturated limewater? I have a 5-gallon bucket of kalk from BRS that I need to use up! Increasing the saturation with vinegar would help reduces the volume necessary. Right now I dose 250mL of A and B daily, which could probably be reduced some with dosing limewater + vinegar.

It only takes about 6 grams of lime to saturate a gallon of water, IIRC.

5 gallons of lime is a lifetime supply unless you are a farmer and using it in the garden! You better share because potency will decline with age. :)

If you don't mind losing the pH boost altogether (I didn't mind) vinegar is a great addition to kalk. You could completely replace your two part, if you wanted to.

This is a great read on kalkwasser, including details on using vinegar with it: http://www.reefscapes.net/articles/breefcase/kalkwasser.html (I really wish the R2R app handled links and BBCODE more intelligently.)

-Matt

Last edited:

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I use a large heaping TBSP of Mrs. Wadges pickling lime per gallon, and 2 ml of vinegar per gallon. I'm not sure how much more potent this gets by adding more vinegar?? Never tried it.

ryecoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so i was just following along. Im doing the same thing. 2-part dosing Cal&Alk plus Magnesium on the 3rd doser and i use a Kalk Reactor. I put 5 Tsp of Kalk everyweek. if i were to put vinegar to saturate the lime water, where would i put it? Instead of dumping it into my reservoir? Here were my parameters before Doser and Kalk reactor.

Cal - 420
Alk - 8 Dkh
Ph- 7.8

1 week After installing Doser & Kalk reactor (1 ml Calc & 1 ml Alk per hour)

Cal - 500
Alk - 10dkh
Ph- Fluctuates from 7.9 - 8.1
Mag - 1320

ryecoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396130074.621214.jpg

this is how i set up my doser and Kalk reactor. only a 10 gal sump for my 50 gal. I use a 15 gallon Rubber mate tub for RO/DI water
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396130158.694347.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396130174.912739.jpg

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my Frag/Grow-out tank (100gal stock tank) I use Kalk in my ATO with vinegar and 2-part. ATO handled via a Osmolator, 2-part dosed via BRS peristaltic pumps managed via an Apex.

I max out the Kalk in the ATO (40 gallon brute with excess Kalk in bottom) The 2-part is increased as needed to manage growth. Stocked with lots of SPS, in addition to the Kalk/ATO, it currently uses 220ml/day 2-part.

ryecoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently got an Apex Labgrade controller but im still trying to figure out how to program the float switches for ATO/Kalk Reactor.

ryecoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get unlimited amounts of these 1 gallon jugs from work. Is this the Type of vinegar i can use?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396131287.887419.jpg

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 128 42.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 106 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.7%
Back