220 Gallon Complete Redo

Phantom7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, i recently purchased a 220 Gallon aquarium that needed resealed for $150. After reading a lot online, i decided to completely dismantle the tank. We broke the top frame in the process of moving it, and it didn't come with a bottom one, So we need new frames (72 x 24, $150) We need to build a stand ($?) and the internal overflows are missing a piece so maybe new overflows ($?)
I'm asking for any advice in my... not so smart endeavor. Thank you in advance.

OP
OP
Phantom7

Phantom7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a lot of work, personally i hate to say it, i would buy a new 220 and build a stand with wood
I know. i'm already around $300 in and would hate to cancel, but i'm not sure. I'm 17 and make money on 'odd jobs' so buying new isn't really an option..

ThatPhillyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know. i'm already around $300 in and would hate to cancel, but i'm not sure. I'm 17 and make money on 'odd jobs' so buying new isn't really an option..
I understand, I would try and save, save, save. I would personally wait however long it takes to do it right then wrong.

I had this exact scenario with a used 110. I went the cheap way and in 1 month i needed to buy a new tank.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rebuilding a tank that big is huge task, but it can be done. Worse case scenario you will have a huge reptile tank. Take your time and break it down if you have the space. Clean the glass perfectly. Maybe get a small 5, 10, gallon glass tank and break it down first and rebuild it. Use the cheapest silicone you can find. Do it a few times until you feel comfortable. Then, try the big one. I'd water test it for at least a month outside if not two. It might take you a year to get it done, but it would be worth it in the long run. Who knows, you might become the next Felix Bordon. Keep asking questions on here. There are lots of people that love to help and teach.

OP
OP
Phantom7

Phantom7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand, I would try and save, save, save. I would personally wait however long it takes to do it right then wrong.

I had this exact scenario with a used 110. I went the cheap way and in 1 month i needed to buy a new tank.
i'm not sure. Assuming i put it together right, i'm using Momentive RTV-103 so it should last fairly long?
sand the edges, slap some silicon on it corner brace it and hope all goes well. looking at injection silicon though, looks more 'efficent'. It's my first time with disassembling an aquarium fully, one could tell by the amount of small chips along the edge :/ wish there was more documentation on it. I've been filming the journey when it isn't too much to manage angling a phone and a 150 lb pane of glass at once.

Anyways, going back towards the topic, I have successfully resealed a 125 (after 3 tries, and a very very thick seam.) We used GE the first time round, then some ASI sealant. both popped the seam within a month. I got 4 tubes of RTV 108 (i think 108) and used every last bit of them. (over kill i know, i was just tired of having to throw my oscars out the window into a bucket and draining a tank while also vaccuming up the other half the water on my floor.)

Trying to make sure i do it right the first time around this time, taking apart this aquarium was extremely painful and hard lol.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm not sure. Assuming i put it together right, i'm using Momentive RTV-103 so it should last fairly long?
sand the edges, slap some silicon on it corner brace it and hope all goes well. looking at injection silicon though, looks more 'efficent'. It's my first time with disassembling an aquarium fully, one could tell by the amount of small chips along the edge :/ wish there was more documentation on it. I've been filming the journey when it isn't too much to manage angling a phone and a 150 lb pane of glass at once.

Anyways, going back towards the topic, I have successfully resealed a 125 (after 3 tries, and a very very thick seam.) We used GE the first time round, then some ASI sealant. both popped the seam within a month. I got 4 tubes of RTV 108 (i think 108) and used every last bit of them. (over kill i know, i was just tired of having to throw my oscars out the window into a bucket and draining a tank while also vaccuming up the other half the water on my floor.)

Trying to make sure i do it right the first time around this time, taking apart this aquarium was extremely painful and hard lol.
Keep it up. Everyone has to learn some where. Is there a glass shop near you? Maybe they would take an apprentice for a little bit.

OP
OP
Phantom7

Phantom7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rebuilding a tank that big is huge task, but it can be done. Worse case scenario you will have a huge reptile tank. Take your time and break it down if you have the space. Clean the glass perfectly. Maybe get a small 5, 10, gallon glass tank and break it down first and rebuild it. Use the cheapest silicone you can find. Do it a few times until you feel comfortable. Then, try the big one. I'd water test it for at least a month outside if not two. It might take you a year to get it done, but it would be worth it in the long run. Who knows, you might become the next Felix Bordon. Keep asking questions on here. There are lots of people that love to help and teach.
Thanks for the advice. I can't tell you how many blades i've gone through trying to get off this residue! i have 200 more coming tomorrow lol. The tank is broke down in a spare room, Frame is off after many blood sweat and tears (plastic is sharp as hell!) Not sure how i feel about using the cheapest silicon, hasn't worked in the past for me. (see post above)

Check this guy's channel out. He can show you some cheaper methods.
I watch him often! It seems most of his detailed assembly/disassembly are for tanks much smaller, and don't go into the fine details sadly. Tried messaging him too the other day lol.

OP
OP
Phantom7

Phantom7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1613450140312.png

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. I can't tell you how many blades i've gone through trying to get off this residue! i have 200 more coming tomorrow lol. The tank is broke down in a spare room, Frame is off after many blood sweat and tears (plastic is sharp as hell!) Not sure how i feel about using the cheapest silicon, hasn't worked in the past for me. (see post above)

I watch him often! It seems most of his detailed assembly/disassembly are for tanks much smaller, and don't go into the fine details sadly. Tried messaging him too the other day lol.
Yeah. You already have the experience. Just need to build on it. For a stand, you could always go the cheap route and use cinder blocks and 2x4s. It's not pretty, but it works and would cost you under a 100 bucks and is stupid easy. Hard to mess them up.

OP
OP
Phantom7

Phantom7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. You already have the experience. Just need to build on it. For a stand, you could always go the cheap route and use cinder blocks and 2x4s. It's not pretty, but it works and would cost you under a 100 bucks and is stupid easy. Hard to mess them up.
yeah, especially with current price of lumber. it's insane. in reference to your apprenticeship post, i doubt i'd be 'hired' being 17. Far too much liability if i were to be injured. i'm having a hard time getting a job at a grocery store let alone a glass shop.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, especially with current price of lumber. it's insane. in reference to your apprenticeship post, i doubt i'd be 'hired' being 17. Far too much liability if i were to be injured. i'm having a hard time getting a job at a grocery store let alone a glass shop.
Just got to find the right one. You would be surprised. Glass work is a trade. Never hurts to try. Worse case scenario they say no. Minimally they might be willing to help you out for a few bucks. It would have to be a small privately owned shop. The hardest part is finding one.

OP
OP
Phantom7

Phantom7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got to find the right one. You would be surprised. Glass work is a trade. Never hurts to try. Worse case scenario they say no. Minimally they might be willing to help you out for a few bucks. It would have to be a small privately owned shop. The hardest part is finding one.
I doubt these guys would help me for a few bucks, the other day i asked for a quote on glass (220g sizes) just incase i shattered one in the process of disassembly. to say the least, i could buy probably 2 1/2 new 220 setups for the price they want.

Brad_95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say definitely go for it, I just finished resealing my 180g tank (inner seal, not structural) but I’ve also built another tank from the ground up. Definitely take your time, invest in good right angle jigs, use those little rubber spacers that people put on the bottom of furniture, in between the glass panels. I’ve learned that that is the easiest and one of the best ways to ensure the correct spacing. Get yourself some Momentive RTV-100 series silicone for the seal and take your time and just breathe while doing it. As long as your right angle jigs are torqued on and are true square, it’ll be a breeze.

I’m also in the process of building my own stand for my 180 and it’s definitely a process, but for me it’s been a fun one. I can’t stress it enough, just go slow and take your time. It’s a great learning experience you can utilize later down the road for some really wild DIY ideas.

Brad_95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if you’re still having trouble removing residue, I used a small wire brush attached to my drill and just carefully went over all of the edges, it’s amazing how much crap that it got up. Really saves you some time and energy.

OP
OP
Phantom7

Phantom7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say definitely go for it, I just finished resealing my 180g tank (inner seal, not structural) but I’ve also built another tank from the ground up. Definitely take your time, invest in good right angle jigs, use those little rubber spacers that people put on the bottom of furniture, in between the glass panels. I’ve learned that that is the easiest and one of the best ways to ensure the correct spacing. Get yourself some Momentive RTV-100 series silicone for the seal and take your time and just breathe while doing it. As long as your right angle jigs are torqued on and are true square, it’ll be a breeze.

I’m also in the process of building my own stand for my 180 and it’s definitely a process, but for me it’s been a fun one. I can’t stress it enough, just go slow and take your time. It’s a great learning experience you can utilize later down the road for some really wild DIY ideas.
I definitely agree on the last part! I don't think i'll forget our method of taking apart the glass without chipping it (once we found it out lol) I got 4 bottles of RTV 103, and i got some cheap corner clamps from harbor freight (so cheap one is missing a part ;Facepalm) I've read up on the 'assembly' process for the structural seals, and read that tanks this size will simply squeeze the bottom structural silicon out. I'm not looking forward to having like 5 people trying todo separate jobs while sealing it up!
(bolded so hopefully someone skimming over this stuff will see it and post a reply regarding it)

In response to your wirebrush idea, i might have to give this a try. It seems that acetone isn't doing much, even after letting it 'soak' for a couple minutes.

Brad_95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely agree on the last part! I don't think i'll forget our method of taking apart the glass without chipping it (once we found it out lol) I got 4 bottles of RTV 103, and i got some cheap corner clamps from harbor freight (so cheap one is missing a part ;Facepalm) I've read up on the 'assembly' process for the structural seals, and read that tanks this size will simply squeeze the bottom structural silicon out. I'm not looking forward to having like 5 people trying todo separate jobs while sealing it up!
(bolded so hopefully someone skimming over this stuff will see it and post a reply regarding it)
I’ll have to find the specific silicone beads I used but most major aquarium manufacturers use the same exact process.

OP
OP
Phantom7

Phantom7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll have to find the specific silicone beads I used but most major aquarium manufacturers use the same exact process.
yeah, i've watched Custom Aquariums putting together some tanks, coverage isn't amazing though.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 94 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back