225 gallon FOWLR

sharkman07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally making a build thread for my 225 gallon fowlr tank, that has been established for a year now. The current stock list is-
2 Clarkii clownfish
Niger Triggerfish
Zebra morey eel
Foxface
Queen Angelfish
Coral Beauty Angelfish
Any Fish suggestions?
Would love to add a harlequin tusk, would that be ok with my current stock list?

IMG_1060.jpeg

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For that tank size a harlequin will be fine but make sure to keep the queen from bothering it when it's newly introduced since they don't handle stress well initially

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres no ugly harlequin tusk to say the least but ones from australia handle acclimation a lot better based on the fact that I've lost an indo one fairly suddenly despite quarantine and never an australian one (could be due to initial size or how they're handled)

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is that tank in the basement?
I have a 200 P FOWLR room divider but was dreaming of a huge DIY plywood tank in the basement man cave. but that sounds like a lot of money and work..haha maybe some day.

I hear the aussie tusks are nicer looking than the indo ones. but you're gonna pay for it. there prob. collected and handled better too. so might be cheaper in the long run.
some say they can be nasty or say there model citizens.

might want to make to make more cave ans arches to all the fish have sleeping caves. but its a fine balance between that and open room form swimming.

love the queens been a dream fish of mine for 20 years now. maybe some day.

how about a puffer?

OP
OP
sharkman07

sharkman07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info, yes the tank is in the basement. It has sump made out of a spare 55 gallon tank. The skimmer is a aqua c EV-240 and the return pump is rated for 1800 gph. The rock inside the tank currently is diy aragocrete rock that I made, so it is pretty eady to get and i am defintly considering adding more rock as i get more fish. I have considered a puffer but I dont think I want something that big in there. Any recommendations for a easy to care for tang that I could add?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info, yes the tank is in the basement. It has sump made out of a spare 55 gallon tank. The skimmer is a aqua c EV-240 and the return pump is rated for 1800 gph. The rock inside the tank currently is diy aragocrete rock that I made, so it is pretty eady to get and i am defintly considering adding more rock as i get more fish. I have considered a puffer but I dont think I want something that big in there. Any recommendations for a easy to care for tang that I could add?
nice I had a Aqua C ev- 240 back in the day, they where the top skimmer.

lots of options for Tangs. any of the smaller ot med. sized one work work.
some call tangs ick magnets so there that.
I like yellows you can get them captive breed now.
purples
Kole

always wanted a power blue too. what do you like?

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! What dimensions did you go with? Plan on doing another fowlr around this size in the future

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! What dimensions did you go with? Plan on doing another fowlr around this size in the future
I know you did not ask me but I'll chime in anyway...haha
I went with an IM 200p for my FOWLR and it was the best bang for you buck out there that I found.

if you can or want to make your own stand I would have gone with glass cages 300 gal.

OP
OP
sharkman07

sharkman07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the yellow tangs but dont really want to spend $200 on one. My favorite tang is the Orange Shoulder tang how hardy are those? Would one work in my tank? The dimensions are L-72 W-24 H-29.

Last edited:

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love orange shoulder tangs.

Harlequin tusks are stunning, but they can eat shrimp, snails, and crabs.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally making a build thread for my 225 gallon fowlr tank, that has been established for a year now. The current stock list is-
2 Clarkii clownfish
Niger Triggerfish
Zebra morey eel
Foxface
Queen Angelfish
Coral Beauty Angelfish
Any Fish suggestions?
Would love to add a harlequin tusk, would that be ok with my current stock list?

IMG_1060.jpeg
Love the eel in there!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 177 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.9%
Back