28 Gallon Deep Blue Rimless SPS Tank

childress5tyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

After ~3 years off from the hobby I have had an itching to get back in and start a new reef tank. I wanted to start this thread to organize my thoughts and to track my progress throughout the life of this reef. Now through May I will be organizing the startup and planning out the structure, etc. I will not be putting water into the tank until May because this is my anticipated move month, so I'd rather not start it up and have to tear it back down 5 months later. As mentioned in the title, the aquarium will be a 28 gallon Deep Blue rimless aquarium with a focus on SPS coral. My tentative plan is to have the following:
-6 acropora colonies (Considering: Red Planet Acro, Strawberry Shortcake Acro, PC Rainbow Acro, and MANY more; need to brush up on the new acro names out there)
-3 millepora colonies (Undecided, need to familiarize myself with the different milleporas out there)
-3 encrusting montipora colonies (Considering: JF Aquaman Monti, Rainbow Monti, and Sunset Monti)
-2 plating montipora colonies (Considering: Sunburst Monti Cap and a Grafted Monti Cap)
-4 undecided colonies (potentially a stag, pocillopora, bird’s nest, stylopora, etc).
Aside from the SPS coral, I would like for the showpiece of the reef to be a nice 4-5" maxima clam. Regarding fish, currently I only plan to add two designer clowns (possibly onyx clowns). Below is a list of the equipment that I have either decided on or am debating:

- Light: AI Prime Hydra 26 HD
- Sump: ICECAP 15
- Skimmer: Reef Octopus 110SSS
- Return Pump: SICHE 1.5
- Powerhead: 1x MP10 Vortech Pump
- Salt: Undecided (Considering RSCP, but am afraid of the high alkalinity, looking into other options)
- ATO: Tunze Nano Osmolator
- Dosing: Auto Dosing B-Ionic Ca/kH/Mag and Phytoplankton (Undecided on dosing pump, not wanting to spend an insane amount on one)

I'm wanting my tank to be fairly clean and simple; not a ton of rock, but just enough to allow the coral to grow and cover, but also giving enough free space for them to grow. I've considered purchasing the dry, man-made rock and curing it in a friend’s tank over the next few months or spending the extra money to buy live, cured rock. I’ve also been doing a lot of browsing regarding bare-bottom tanks. Given the fact that I plan to have ~18 4-6” colonies in such a small tank, I plan to utilize every square inch that I possibly can (growing colonies on the walls, bottom glass, and overflow). I’ve not completely decided on this decision yet however I’ve seen a lot of cool reefs out there that are persuading me to lean that way. Additionally, with no sand I’ll be able to maximize flow without causing debris to fly around.

These are my thoughts regarding the reef so far, please feel free to comment on any suggestions, questions, or comments that you may have. I'm looking forward to this build and hope you get some enjoyment by following along

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
childress5tyler

childress5tyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice, honestly I'm leaning towards going with the HD considering the amount of SPS coral that I plan to have and want to utilize the total wattage. Both look amazing, I'd just rather not limit myself with the regular PRIME.

I have the AI Hydra 52 and i like it a lot. I wish i had the HD though, so I'd go that way if i were you.

OP
OP
childress5tyler

childress5tyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing a fair amount of research tonight regarding dosing. When I was in the hobby before I only ran a GEO 612 calcium reactor and was able to sustain my reef sufficiently. Now that I'll be doing a 28 gallon, I believe that a Ca reactor will be overkill given the size of the aquarium and the amount of room in the tank. I'm considering three options: manually dosing 2 part (cheapest), dosing kalkwasser into the ATO water reservoir (possibly the riskiest), or buying a doser to dose Ca, Alk, and Mag (most expensive). I understand that the last two options would be the easiest overall, but the third would probably be the most effective. Given the amount of SPS colonies that I plan to have, which do you think is the best option? Kalk or a dosing pump to dose the three essential elements?

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing a fair amount of research tonight regarding dosing. When I was in the hobby before I only ran a GEO 612 calcium reactor and was able to sustain my reef sufficiently. Now that I'll be doing a 28 gallon, I believe that a Ca reactor will be overkill given the size of the aquarium and the amount of room in the tank. I'm considering three options: manually dosing 2 part (cheapest), dosing kalkwasser into the ATO water reservoir (possibly the riskiest), or buying a doser to dose Ca, Alk, and Mag (most expensive). I understand that the last two options would be the easiest overall, but the third would probably be the most effective. Given the amount of SPS colonies that I plan to have, which do you think is the best option? Kalk or a dosing pump to dose the three essential elements?

You can buy a doser relatively cheap like this one (85.00) Jebao Programmable Auto Dosing Pump DP-4 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014KKCILE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_r.WEyb2A7JTN6 and dose a 2 part and add a Magnesium of your choice. I use the jebao and have succefully for a year, no complaints.

OP
OP
childress5tyler

childress5tyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy a doser relatively cheap like this one (85.00) Jebao Programmable Auto Dosing Pump DP-4 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014KKCILE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_r.WEyb2A7JTN6 and dose a 2 part and add a Magnesium of your choice. I use the jebao and have succefully for a year, no complaints.

I've seen the Jebao pumps on Amazon before, are they fairly good quality? I like the fact that it has 4 different dosing pumps; I could dose Ca, Alk, Mag, and I'm unsure about the fourth (possibly iodine, phytoplankton - open to other options, of course).

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I think so. Mine has been running strong for a year or so now with no issue. They even come with a couple extra motors in case one blows out on you. I dose Cal, Alk, Mag and you could put trace nutrients on the fourth. Or amino acids or something. I leave mine blank for emergencies, if I have a motor go out I can switch over to the unit I don't use temporarily.

OP
OP
childress5tyler

childress5tyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen the Jebao pumps on Amazon before, are they fairly good quality? I like the fact that it has 4 different dosing pumps; I could dose Ca, Alk, Mag, and I'm unsure about the fourth (possibly iodine, phytoplankton - open to other options, of course).
I just watched a few Youtube videos on this dosing pump and am impressed! Hopefully this is fairly good quality.

BMMMW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its decent quality, but dialing in accuracy for a small tank is very hard. Just be prepared for the fact it may be almost impossible to dial in.

OP
OP
childress5tyler

childress5tyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its decent quality, but dialing in accuracy for a small tank is very hard. Just be prepared for the fact it may be almost impossible to dial in.

I understand that the smaller the water volume the more susceptible you are to parameter changes in water chemistry but can you elaborate more on the difficulties of dialing it in? I would figure that when you have your water chemistry as you want it, and with a proper ato system, your parameters should remain relatively stable. The only need to change dosage would be when you add additional corals and/or when you are noticing more growth in sps colonies.

BMMMW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really get what you pay for in my opinion. Search forums for most used and popular units. Eshoppes, GHL, you can also do BRS dosers with timers.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Other.

Back