2x MP40 or 2x Reefwave 45?

anthony1222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I have a 4 foot 75 gallon FOWLR tank in desperate need for flow. Planning on keeping euphyllia and some sps MAYBE Acros down the line. I heard gyres are really great for LPS but I’m not sure about SPS. Also I’m alsonot sure if I’m willing to clean my gyres every month. The Reefwaves cost $330 on Amazon and the MP40s cost $350 on BRS. Which type of wavemaker would be more beneficial for a mixed reef?

Planning to put SPS on the top of my scape and euphyllia on the bottom

IMG_4480.jpeg IMG_4347.jpeg IMG_4282.jpeg IMG_4280.jpeg

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gyre style pumps will generally be easier to reduce dead spots with but all the ones ive ever owned were not my favorites as far as maintenance is concerned.

Vortechs on the other hand I absolutely adore with ease of maintenance and no cords in the aquarium. This is the lowest price ive seen in a long time so i would jump on it easily over any other option you might consider.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used Vortech and cheap gyres and if you think you may not be willing/able to keep up with maintenance then I’d definitely go with Vortechs.

Vortechs are the best pumps when it comes to cleaning, especially if you get a spare wetside.

OP
OP
anthony1222

anthony1222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gyre style pumps will generally be easier to reduce dead spots with but all the ones ive ever owned were not my favorites as far as maintenance is concerned.

Vortechs on the other hand I absolutely adore with ease of maintenance and no cords in the aquarium. This is the lowest price ive seen in a long time so i would jump on it easily over any other option you might consider.
If I did clean it often would the gyres be better than the normal style wavemakers?

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with the vortechs. You can find used ones on the market forum for around 200$ ive gotten 2 of mine on here and another on fb marketplace for 150. Just keep an eye out for the good deals. A couple extra wet sides makes cleaning easy with little to no downtime. I run my 3 in a 4' 120gal peninsula that's sps dominant.

Falc!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CD4767C5-3B5F-4B6C-8EA5-D3993BF7AC97.jpeg
I’m sure I have more flow than I probably need but I have both on my 4ft tank….1 reefwave 45 and 4 mp40s…. Plan on adding a 2nd reefwave on opposite side of my current reefwave…. But no I do not run them full blast, well I do for a few mins a couple times a day to shake up the detritus

So I vote for both

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I did clean it often would the gyres be better than the normal style wavemakers?
Better is not exactly the right wording, just the flow is significantly more widespread in a flat line than say other pumps on the market. That gives it the advantage of being able to flow into more areas than the typical cone shape that other pumps create making you need less pumps depending on aquascaping and positioning.
I would argue that doesn't matter much if you were planning on doing 2 of either pump in your sized aquarium though and would only matter at 6+ feet or if you were planning on only buying 1 pump in total ime.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back