30 gallon to 100 gallon.... What to know?

Red2143

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If someone was considering a big upgrade what are some considerations that might not be obvious?

In the obvious category, more cost more maintenance time, larger water changes.. What else?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting and flow basically.. water changes are water changes and you gotta do it no matter what if you want a healthy tank.. I went from a 60gal cube to a 300 and lighting was the biggest factor.. I’d say my display runs me about $200 a month for everything.. according to my apex it’s $54 a month in electricity and the rest is chemicals, salt and di resin.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If someone was considering a big upgrade what are some considerations that might not be obvious?

In the obvious category, more cost more maintenance time, larger water changes.. What else?
1) maintenance time - it just takes longer
2) maintenance cost - it's bigger and uses more salt for water changes, also any additives will cost more as well
3) maintenance equipment - you'll need larger containers for water changes, heaters, pump and so on
4) Lighting - more space, more light, plan accordingly
5) flow - same as lighting, more space means more flow, and you'll need to upgrade pumps. A single nero 3 would work fine on a 30g, but you're going to need multiple larger pumps on 100g tank
6) it just takes longer to make corrections - don't ask me why but a 10g change on a 30g can eliminate allot of issues, but doing a 30g change on 100g doesn't seem to have the same effect when removing algae and what not.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back