300 gallon oasis build in AZ

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for airfoils and surfboards/paddleboards/kayaks Z doesnt need to be too big. X doesnt exist - its the hot-wire that is under tension.

That dude talks funny. ;)

Will watch the full video later when I get home. Thanks!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for airfoils and surfboards/paddleboards/kayaks Z doesnt need to be too big. X doesnt exist - its the hot-wire that is under tension.

I’m sorry, I got my axes all confused for a moment. Please don’t ask me how. So, in terms of x and y being horizontal and z being vertical, the deflection along the y axis would be a function of the distance, weight and rate of speed of the item moving up and down the z axis as it moves and stops along the y axis. Hence, based on speed and vibration, the farther away the item moves up the z axis gets the more deflection one would encounter. As a result, I fail to understand how increasing the rigidity of the material used along the y axis would always result in the same deflection. Then again, I’m not an engineer. ;)

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I’m sorry, I got my axes all confused for a moment. Please don’t ask me how. So, in terms of x and y being horizontal and z being vertical, the deflection along the y axis would be a function of the distance, weight and rate of speed of the item moving up and down the z axis as it moves and stops along the y axis. Hence, based on speed and vibration, the farther away the item moves up the z axis gets the more deflection one would encounter. As a result, I fail to understand how increasing the rigidity of the material used along the y axis would always result in the same deflection. Then again, I’m not an engineer. ;)
there will be a hot wire between the two z axis each 'tower' will be pulled towards the other. Not sure what were talking about. All I know is that its way more ridged in the direction I'll need it to be.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there will be a hot wire between the two z axis each 'tower' will be pulled towards the other. Not sure what were talking about. All I know is that its way more ridged in the direction I'll need it to be.

No idea how I missed your post yesterday morning. Must have snuck by in my notifications.

I’m all confustrated. Lol

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
and... SPBLAMMMED... :D @Lost in the Sauce
IMG_6504.JPG

Last edited:

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything new to report, Sal?

Hope all your projects are going well!

OP
OP
1ocean

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got two nudibranch last week. Here is a pic of one on the front glass
The patio addition has been taking all my free time.
nudibranch 2.-4.jpg

OP
OP
1ocean

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well the 300 is now 1 year 1 month old and I suspect that the dry rock I used is leaching PO4..Last week green hair algae started taking hold on some of the rocks. I also added 3 Kessil A 360X to the 4 Radion Gen 5 xr30 blues I have on the tank. Running Kessil at full blue 50% and Radion on LPS setting at 40%. Kessils on from 9 to 9 and Radions on from now noon to 6 for last few months. I just unplugged the Radions to cut white light to see if green and now some red algae dies. I am thinking of removing 2 Radions and running the 300 with 3 kessils and 2 Radions. Since I am running the Radions at 40% since anything more is too bright. I have lots of snails and two lettuce nudi's. Going to add a bio ball reactor very soon to help. Anyone have ideas? input? While I have my coffee...The 2 Radions if I remove them will be used for the frag tanks I am going to make from cutting my old 140 (72x20x22) in half and making two frag tanks by adding an acylic to the top of one half ,which will then be the new bottom....

OP
OP
1ocean

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah coffee is brewing and it is raining here.. It has been 8 days since I did the Radion/Kessil light change and as of last night 90% of the red spot algae is gone and the green turf algae has lost alot of its dark green color and what ever is left (maybe about 50%) is very pale greenish white. The snails seem to eat it faster now.. It has also been 7 days since I been dosing Brightwell Razor.. I was a little apprehensive to follow the directions and add what they said so I just stuck to 5ml/50gallons each day. I also did three 40 gallon water changes during this time with my idea to switch to Brightwell salt. I am guessing all three things added to the algae disappearing, Today going to work on tank and take some readings. Fish and corals and Mrs 1ocean zoa gardens are doing great...ah coffee is done..

OP
OP
1ocean

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and the Brightwell Razor product really worked along with the water changes I did last week, The 300 is bare bottom except for 20 pounds in far right back corner for the 2 wrasses. The tank is cleared of the bottom of the tank brown/tan algae and most of the turf algae that was starting is 80% gone. Also I did not have to clean the acylic in over a week so far..I only did 1/2 the recommended dose on the bottle. I was afraid of killing off corals ...

lazyreefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi neighbor! Located in chandler as well (ocotillo & cooper) awesome job with with your tank! Hope to be joining the 300+ gallon soon. Currently I have a shallow (60x36x16) tank but blondie (my blond naso) grew from less than 2 to over 8 inches now. Need to upgrade to a larger tank before the tang police come for me :).

Did you build your 300 yourself or did you buy it from a vendor? I can’t decide if I should go with acrylic or glass tank. I am scared of scratching the acrylic tank but at the same time not sure how I will be able to move the heavy glass tank. How has your experience been with acrylic?

OP
OP
1ocean

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi neighbor! Located in chandler as well (ocotillo & cooper) awesome job with with your tank! Hope to be joining the 300+ gallon soon. Currently I have a shallow (60x36x16) tank but blondie (my blond naso) grew from less than 2 to over 8 inches now. Need to upgrade to a larger tank before the tang police come for me :).

Did you build your 300 yourself or did you buy it from a vendor? I can’t decide if I should go with acrylic or glass tank. I am scared of scratching the acrylic tank but at the same time not sure how I will be able to move the heavy glass tank. How has your experience been with acrylic?
Hey Lazyreefer1, I had my 300 built to my request but I built my own 72x24x18 sump, and have built a few for freinds/clients... I am also building things like ato/alk and dosing containers. Just cut two prototypes out that will be 5 gallons for ato(rodi) top off and kalk for my 300. My 300 is 3/4 inch acylic top,bottom and sides, the back is 1 inch. I am thinking of doing a 600 or more next and built it here on site. I like acylic, this is my second one. Glass is nice but too heavy once you get over 250 and I am afraid if a seam lets go you have a flood. I use mr clean magic erasers with no chemicals added to them but now I found no name same material for way cheaper. I am also bare bottom with only 20 pounds of sand far back right corner for my wrasses. So when I clean that area, I push the sand away from the acrylic before I clean it. So far no scratches. I have not been able to get to a AZ frag meeting for a few months now but plan to get to one soon.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Lazyreefer1, I had my 300 built to my request but I built my own 72x24x18 sump, and have built a few for freinds/clients... I am also building things like ato/alk and dosing containers. Just cut two prototypes out that will be 5 gallons for ato(rodi) top off and kalk for my 300. My 300 is 3/4 inch acylic top,bottom and sides, the back is 1 inch. I am thinking of doing a 600 or more next and built it here on site. I like acylic, this is my second one. Glass is nice but too heavy once you get over 250 and I am afraid if a seam lets go you have a flood. I use mr clean magic erasers with no chemicals added to them but now I found no name same material for way cheaper. I am also bare bottom with only 20 pounds of sand far back right corner for my wrasses. So when I clean that area, I push the sand away from the acrylic before I clean it. So far no scratches. I have not been able to get to a AZ frag meeting for a few months now but plan to get to one soon.
I don’t recall seeing any pics of your sump. Can you post some when you get a chance?

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I spent last weekend and this Wednesday, building and priming 3 doors for the bottom of the 300 cabinet. They will be on barn door track system.
tiny little photo! nothing for all of us to see! ;)

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 37 63.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back