• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NEFFx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at stirrers since maintaining the pump on my ReefTek reactor was not fun especially when it’s hard to understand when it’s not working (runs 1 min 4x a day) with 4.5cups of Kalk for around 200g evap, 4-5g a day in the winter. Usually replaced every 2 months. It’s a lot of Kalk but my maintenance schedule on the 600g system is optimized for 2month minimum maintenance schedules.

So after my pump crapped out and I couldn’t find a replacement body for the old MP600. I decided to turn my planned ATO into a Kalk reactor.
I used a Quiteone 6000 I had laying around 1900gph. And some fittings. I run it for 2min 4x a day. Might drop that to 2x a day since my old reactor only held 2g and needed to be stirred more often.

There is open air to the reactor. However potency should be acceptable still at 1.5 tsp per Fresh gallon. Randy has a great article for those who haven’t explored this much.
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/

Also, since it’s in my filter room. This reduction in potency does reduce CO2 in the nearby area (likely useless but I’ll keep it here for comment) - noting that calcium hydroxide / Kalkwasser granules are what you use in the all to famous CO2 scrubbers.

IMG_4188.jpeg
IMG_4193.jpeg
IMG_4194.jpeg

Last edited:

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice

mikst

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, do you have a freshwater reservoir, that is pumped into the reactor that is filled with kalkwasser? And what is pushed out of the reactor is a clear solute?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back