327 gallon build. Wish me luck.

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing tank, love how the piano white stand goes with all apple devices lol. Are you gonna put the euro brace back on the sump rim though? it might bow down the road if you leave it like that.

Best of Luck!

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cork is definitely good, but it will soak up and prolong the affect of any spills. Rubber is a bit better, if you can stagger rubber supports so that some air circulates, then leaks are a much lower. Rubber costs more though I think. If you didnt waterproof the stand beneath the cork/sump I would be worried about rot since the cork will eventually get damp and rot the stand beneath it.

OP
OP
F

firemedix911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing tank, love how the piano white stand goes with all apple devices lol. Are you gonna put the euro brace back on the sump rim though? it might bow down the road if you leave it like that.

Best of Luck!

I don't think I'm gonna need the Eurobrace due to amount of baffles the sump has. Being a very long sump it also helps to spread the amount of water around instead of concentrating the level and all the pressure in the center of the sum. I already leak tested the sump and filled it all the way to the edge with no bowing whatsoever. It had way more water than it'll normally hold. Your concern is valid but I should be good there.

Cork is definitely good, but it will soak up and prolong the affect of any spills. Rubber is a bit better, if you can stagger rubber supports so that some air circulates, then leaks are a much lower. Rubber costs more though I think. If you didnt waterproof the stand beneath the cork/sump I would be worried about rot since the cork will eventually get damp and rot the stand beneath it.

I understand your concern. Lucky the stand is fully plated on and impermeable material so there should be no issues with spills.

Thanks for the complements guys. I'm just waiting on the overflow to get built which should be sometime next week to start the plumbing. I'll update here as I make progress.

OP
OP
F

firemedix911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More updates!!!
So photobucket finally ame around
freak5.gif
So here are the updates. Missing a couple of pics but I've been gign to bed around 2-3 in the morning the last couple of days.

So I got part of my overflow built. this thing is a beast of an overflow. Matt did a very good job at it. Low profile yet it should be very efficient.

Witht he overflow ready for measuring and drilling things are getting real so it was time to call in the reinforcements.

So jonny went by the house on monday true to his word, in the middle of a storm and under tornado warning.
xyxthumbs.gif
Way to come thru buddy. Again I know I've said it a million times but thanks again.

After much discusion we agreed on placing some plywood inside the stand. This would serve multiple purpuses . I'll help keep noise at a minimun as my tank and all it's equipment will be sitting in my livingroom in close distance to my TV. I'll also allow me to suport the pipping for the overflow and return, and ultimately will make it that much easier to run all cables and install all electronics. We also install 3 2x4's to provide extra suport for the bottom of the tank.

Jonny had to pose for that one. LOL.

Finished product

OP
OP
F

firemedix911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then we went to work on the canopy. I've been banging my head ever since I had the stand built bc of my light placement. The wife refused to get a tall canopy
blown.gif
so I had to somewhere some how come up with the best way to install my Hydras 52 as high as I could within the confine of the cabinet. I thought of cutting rectangles the size of the light on the canopy and just mount the light trhu the top held by brace. jonny got my idea and thought of a genius way of acomplishing the same and even gain some clearance in the process while also allowing for more open air in the canopy for ventilation and evaporation. Here's what we ended up with I really liked how it came out.
Here's the designing phase lol.

Implementing the plan. No pressure by the way cutting into that brand new awesome looking canopy. LOL.

Finished product.

With that setting theres no way the light can accidentally fall into the water as it is held pretty tight by the frame. It also allows for easy movement of the lights once mounted. It frees sooo much space inside the canopy that it'll make it much easier to work in the tank. Not that I ever expected a 30 by 30 tank to be easy to work on.
rof****.gif

Everything is now painted and looks pretty good I must say. But that's one men's opinion. lol.

On wednesday it was time to work on the water station. The 225 gallon tank and the 100 gallon RO I picked will sit on the side of the house with 1/4" RO lines runing to and from it. That side of the house has the lowest exposure to sun as it faces east. I'm using 1" PVC pipe fromn the insdie of the house to the tanks to hide the 1/4" RO lines as well as to protect them from sun exposure and algae. Picked up some HEAVYYYY 16x16x4" bricks and made a small pad to place the tanks and suport them. A tank brace will go on the 225 gallon tank.
Here's what I've got so far.

along with that I made a total 140 gallon water change to the rocks I have curing, my QT tank and my 90 gallon current DT. I almost couldnt ghet out of bed this morning to go to work.
So Eddie Soler if you read this I'm sorry I haven't started the frag thread I promise I will do it today. lol.

With that said. Now all he pressure is on Matt to finish the overflow. I'm hopping to leak test next week. Or at least that's the goal.
I also managed to yet again
uhoh3.gif
get some more sticks. LOL. I've said it, I'm an adict. Thnks for letting me share.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just an observation, but with the light cooling fins being covered like that you might run into some heating issue... the fans are set to blow the air out the sides of the cooling fins. Could you maybe use a piece of wood half that size to hold the lights in place but still allow proper cooling?

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

firemedix911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about that. I'm gonna test it the way it is. If heat is an issue then I can just place some strips on the inside of the frame to lift up the ifxture 1/4" and that'd be enough to expose the fins and the fan.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sweet build going on!

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming along nicely! :)

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice looking. I see a great reef tank in your near future. :)
I prob sound like a fortune cookie or something.
I'm in the process of getting a big tank. Move day is gonna be a stressful one for me.
-d

OP
OP
F

firemedix911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice looking. I see a great reef tank in your near future. :)
I prob sound like a fortune cookie or something.
I'm in the process of getting a big tank. Move day is gonna be a stressful one for me.
-d
Uff moving a big tank is painful. Good luck my brother.

Coming along nicely! :)

This is gonna be crazy dude! Following along.

Looks good bro look forward to this one! What's your plans for rockwork?
Thanks for the complement fellas.
Rock work will consists of around 460 pounds of rock. 80% nice shaped hatian, the rest s a mix of large dead corals, pukani and some pukani slabs. It should be interesting to say the least we it comes to aquascaping it. It seems so far off right now though. LOL. Cant wait till im there.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back