33 ppt = 1.026 sg???

johnf3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

For the past couple years I’ve only been using my good old refractometer and calibrating it with 35ppt solution to measure my salinity in tanks and when mixing water. It has always worked well for me and is my standard for mixing water. Well recently I purchased the Hanna marine salinity tester and once I’ve calibrated it with its 35ppt solution it says all of my water is 33-33.5. The same water shows a perfect 1.026 on my refractometers. I called Hanna and they sent an essay on the differences between conductive and refractive salinity measurement, I get that there will always be a bit of discrepancy seeing that they are measuring salinity in two totally different ways. I’m just curious if I should try to raise all of my tanks and new water closer to 34/35 on the Hanna tester or just stick it out with my refractometer and use the Hanna knowing it is reading 2 below my refract? All tank inhabitants seem to be fine so I’m leaning towards just leaving as is but wanted to get someone else’s opinion as 33 ppt seems like it’s just about too low

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would just go by the refractometer. I don’t trust Hanna anymore, at least for the salinity checker. I had one fail just after only 1 year. I now use tropic Marin’s hydrometer

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly pick one method and stick to it. If it is wrong at least you are going to be consistently wrong.

I use this:
1715107082285.jpeg

No calibration required.

When I do my ICP test the lab measures salinity and it is inline with my method so good enough for me.

Good luck,

OP
OP
johnf3

johnf3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the insight guys! I’ll have to check out this tropic Marin hydrometer

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Hanna marine salinity testers and found that it's critical to calibrate fairly often. That being said, they are super easy to use and very accurate when callibrated accuratly.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 169 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back