36g Shallow AIO

Stephanie11

Fragaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Just if you do the black out I would skim wet as to try to get the dissolved crap out of there. Some people drill or have a small hole on the bottom of their skimmer cup, then run that to a bigger collection cup like a 5 gal bucket. Idea is if something dies you need to export the remains. If you skim wet just make sure you keep an eye on salinity it will go down.

OP
OP
J

jabeuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Just if you do the black out I would skim wet as to try to get the dissolved crap out of there. Some people drill or have a small hole on the bottom of their skimmer cup, then run that to a bigger collection cup like a 5 gal bucket. Idea is if something dies you need to export the remains. If you skim wet just make sure you keep an eye on salinity it will go down.
Ooh thanks for the tips Stephanie.
I think I will eventually drill a drain on my skimmer cup regardless, I'm always scared of it overflowing in the case it starts to act up.

OP
OP
J

jabeuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds nice! Are you going to do a shallow tank again?
And I work for SantaMonica. :)

-Y
I want to do shallow again. This one is 13" high, might do something up to 16" or so. I like how it looks, but most of all it's easier to work in haha.

I might try one of the HOB scrubbers one of these days if I don't get my nutrients under control.

SantaMonicaHelp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 16" sounds good!! Are you going to keep both of the tanks next year? or move the current one into the new tank?
Also, we have HOG not HOB :) Let us know if you need any help! Good luck on your nutrients control! :thumb:

-Y

OP
OP
J

jabeuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 16" sounds good!! Are you going to keep both of the tanks next year? or move the current one into the new tank?
Also, we have HOG not HOB :) Let us know if you need any help! Good luck on your nutrients control! :thumb:

-Y
Both!

And yes HOG haha. I was pretty sure I typed that lol.
What size do you recommend for my tank? If anything, I was thinking of giving the 'drop in' model a try.

New York Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got in the convo alittle late but I always wanted to do a shallow tank i really like the set up!

SantaMonicaHelp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both!

And yes HOG haha. I was pretty sure I typed that lol.
What size do you recommend for my tank? If anything, I was thinking of giving the 'drop in' model a try.

You can go to this link and find one that suits the best to your tank. The drop-in is usually for small tanks. I will recommend the HOG 1 for trying it out, because this one works on most of the tanks. :)
Which one

OP
OP
J

jabeuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wide angle gopro shot
QF5YjQth.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back