OP
Dendrobates

Dendrobates

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such appreciated! Hopefully I can get the hang of this camera and improve the quality.

Davescrews, you wouldn't happen to be a dart frogger would you? I'm Derek Benson on dendroboard and we may have met some years ago in Lawrence at a frog meet up. Reefs now, huh?

oiliaN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hows your Fuge doing? I'm just starting mine and after a lot of research ended up with a $60 LED bar. What light did you use? because if your fuge is doing well, and by the looks of your amazing display tank it is, then I'm going to return mine and grab what you bought. Assuming its cheaper.

OP
OP
Dendrobates

Dendrobates

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with one of the $20-$25 PAR 30 5K LEDs from home depot in a ceramic fixture that's mounted in my stand. My refugium is now a brick of chaeto that gets trimmed monthly. Overall I'm very satisfied with performance and definitely cost!

davescrews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought that was probably you, good to see you here! I haven't had a reef at home for 10 years or so, but have been employed by the industry in one form or another for the last 22 years. Send me a pm when you get a chance, I have a frog related question for you, thanks.

Such appreciated! Hopefully I can get the hang of this camera and improve the quality.

Davescrews, you wouldn't happen to be a dart frogger would you? I'm Derek Benson on dendroboard and we may have met some years ago in Lawrence at a frog meet up. Reefs now, huh?

OP
OP
Dendrobates

Dendrobates

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reef hit the 9 month mark within the last few days and I have started going a slightly different direction with it. I started a new job and my free time has been drastically reduced, but I'm atleast doing regular maintenance on the aquarium. Tired of the cluttered sand bed and seeing some awesome tanks with extremely pristine coral free sand beds made me want to try it with my own, with exceptions of course!

While my initial goal was a well balanced mixed reef, I really started to veer off towards the LPS corals and primarily Euphyllia and the like. I have some SPS and soft corals in the tank, but I've really tried to create a lagoon type of reef to better suit a particular species group of coral instead of getting some corals that do very well while others suffer in subpar niches. I think that's the direction our hobby should be moving, instead of the "one of everything" mentality, more of a biotope or "species" aquarium.

Working on an Acanthastrea lordhowensis garden with a few Micromussa thrown into the mix.

Going along with the garden theme, I started grouping my chalices, with a Favites and Goniastrea thrown in. Gel filter, because why not?

This is on of the exceptions to the naked sand bed, a green and maroon Trachyphyllia.

Also, if there are any Fungia experts out there to lend me some advice on this coral, I would appreciate it. I've had it for about 2 weeks now and it's not really changed in its condition. I've got it on the sandbed of a 24" tall aquarium and the radion is suspended 9" over the top of the aquarium. I've read that about 80% of a Fungia's well being depends on food and only 20% is dependant upon photosynthesizing light. I've started feeding chopped krill, real ocean eggs, reef crack, or marine pellets to the plate once every 3 days to see if I can coax an improvement. Any other advice? Normal parameters temp 79 F, nitrate 0ppm, phophate >.10ppm, Ca 460ppm, Alk 9.5 dKH, I haven't tested Magnesium, but I'm hoping it's replenished with weekly 10% H2O changes.

Fungia eating a chunk of krill

To avoid ending on a bad note, here's an overall picture after 10 tubes of gel super glue and most of the corals off the sand bed or up on the frag rack.

OP
OP
Dendrobates

Dendrobates

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the holidays out of the way, I figured it's time for another update on the reef. There's a few new coral additions, some growth pictures, and my amazing girlfriend was gracious enough to buy me a reef related christmas gift!

Apex Jr.

I've been tinkering with this for the past few days and trying to find asolid location for everything as well as get the hang of Fusion. Randoreefer has been an asset for fielding my questions on the set up. The first step was to destroy the area around the reef.

This was the easy part...

So far, I'm only half way there and tomorrow I'll be calibrating the pH probe and adding the PM1 module to the assembly. Keeping with the equipment theme, I got part of an RODI system from TurkeyTy a few months back and another part at christmas. That was the breaking point and I felt compelled to assemle a 5 stage chloramine RO/DI unit.

Parts pile:

And the unit with brand new filters

Alright, on to the fun stuff, livestock! I've been thinking over the past few months that my tank appears a bit empty with so few fish, especially since my clons have faithfully hosted the bubble tip anemone. Enter McCosker's flasher wrasse...

Here's a dump of new coral and a few full tank shots to wrap it up, enjoy!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back