4 yr old clownfish suddenly aggressive towards each other, video attached

konatown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These were my first clowns, had them close to 4 years now. They’ve been paired since day one and typically always healthy and happy

Lately, they seem to be super aggressive towards each other, constantly throughout the day. They head butt, push each other around, and chase each other. It’s literally non stop. It seems to be the smaller male darting at her and being the most aggressive.

Is this mating behavior? (I have not seen this from them before, and they have been my only pair) They have not laid eggs that I’ve seen. It’s been a couple of weeks of this aggression. It’s hard to catch them in the video because they stop when I walk up to the tank, but there’s a little bit of it in there.

See video attached, sorry for dirty glass and some aiptasia.

YouTube Video

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see nothing of concern.
Maybe preparing for spawn.
Agressive clowns is when the female grabs the male with her mouth and toss him back and forth, or pins him in a rock.

Mine do that sometimes, seems to be pre-spawn for my guys, but also could be just coincidence.

Spawn would be on a rock and one, at all times will both protect it, pick out the bad ones, and fan with tail.

IMG_1639.jpeg

OP
OP
konatown

konatown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see nothing of concern.
Maybe preparing for spawn.
Agressive clowns is when the female grabs the male with her mouth and toss him back and forth, or pins him in a rock.

Mine do that sometimes, seems to be pre-spawn for my guys, but also could be just coincidence.

Spawn would be on a rock and one, at all times will both protect it, pick out the bad ones, and fan with tail.

IMG_1639.jpeg
Thanks. I don’t see any biting, but the male did have a white dot on his face for a couple days. I’m more wondering if it’s stress related. The video I posted is not anywhere near the amount of actual aggression they show to each other, which is all day, for a couple weeks now.

Again, no biting, no other wounds, and everyone is happy during feeding. I’m thinking it has something to do with mating, but I just wanted to make sure, because I feel like it looks a little stressful, the way they are constantly at each other.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your tailspot is cute in the background!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 56 74.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back