40 Breeder Mixed Reef (SPS and Polyp Focused)

ViktorVaughn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up my 40 gallon breeder back on September 3, 2013 putting it at a little over 8 months old. I initially had started a 15 gallon tank in early July 2013 after years of freshwater planted tanks and quickly realized that the size was not going to be nearly enough for the corals and fish I wanted to keep. After a couple months of kicking around the idea of starting a new tank, Petco had a $1/per gallon sale so I jumped on the 40 breeder and transferred everything over. I just wish Petco carried larger tanks than the 55 (hate 55's dimensions) as I am already planning an upgrade within a year or so. My initial equipment consisted of a 2 light coral life T5 light, Reef Octopus BH1000 Hang on Back Skimmer, 3 Hydor Koralia Powerheads (600, 425, 240), and a 150 w heater. The light was the first to go, I quickly realized it wasn't sufficient for keeping coral other than some mushrooms and zoanthids. I upgraded to my current 4 bulb Aquatic Life T5 fixture.

I hated the way all the equipment looked in the tank, between the heater, 3 powerheads, and 2 pumps for my phosban reactor and hang on refugium, it was incredibly distracting and ugly to look at. Wish I would have thought of drilling my tank before I filled it to avoid just this problem and starting it with a sump. Since I did not have the foresight to start with a sump, I had to go the external hang on overflow route. So far, my initial concerns and fears associated with the problems that can arise from HOB overflows are non-existent. I have the CPR CS50 (300 gph) overflow which is different than the traditional U-Tube HOB overflows. It utilizes an air pump to draw the water up over the lip of the over chamber and also start the siphon back up if a power failure were to occur. I have tried simulated numerous power outages and different problems but have yet to get it to fail in the 3 months of operation.

Equipment and Parameters
Light: Aquatic Life T5 4 bulb fixture (ATI Blue Plus x2, ATI Aquablue Special, KZ fiji purple)
Water Movement: Vortech MP10, return flow @ around 300 gph
Filtration: ~50 lbs live rock, Reef Octopus BH1000, Phosban 150 reactor (50 grams changed monthly)

SG-1.026
Temp-77-78 Fahrenheit
pH-8.0-8.2
Alkalinity- 8.7
Calcium- 450 ppm
Magnesium- 1350 ppm
Nitrate/Phosphate- 0 ppm/0.01-0.02 ppm

Progression Pictures and random coral shots

9/21/2013
92113_1.jpg

4/22/2013
2014-04-22_183552.jpg

10/22/2013
2013-10-22_194243.jpg

5/02/2014
2014-05-02_200801.jpg

Random Coral Shots

2014-04-26_160355.jpg

Guess I'll have to add more pictures a little later I am getting error messages.

jason g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice progression everything looks good. I noticed you have an urchin, does it knock your corals off the rocks?

OP
OP
V

ViktorVaughn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jason. My urchin was quite the bulldozer, he would knock anything over that wasn't secured extremely well. I recently traded him back into the LFS for some store credit. He was quite the character and pretty amusing at times, just way too destructive. I would always come home from work to find him with Zoanthid frags, hermit crabs, turbo snails, and even my algae clip on his back. Quite amazing how strong it was, he would pick up and knock rocks off of my archways that were easily twice the size of him. It really started getting annoying when he would somehow break up the reef epoxy that would be securing everything in place. I most likely could have dealt with all his little quirks if he ate nuisance algae better, it seemed like the only thing he really liked was my coralline algae.

morgan175

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 about to drill here soon. Figure that's the way to go. Are you happy with your lights or do you wish you went led. How is the skimmer doing for you.

Do like the way your tank looks.

OP
OP
V

ViktorVaughn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 about to drill here soon. Figure that's the way to go. Are you happy with your lights or do you wish you went led. How is the skimmer doing for you.

Do like the way your tank looks.

Definitely the way to go, wish I would have drilled 1st and just started with a sump. When I started the 40 breeder up, I had about 3 months of Saltwater experience and thought the whole sump and plumbing was too complicated and unnecessary. I was wrong on both counts, plumbing was really easy and I love the extra water volume I gained with the equipment hiding factor being my favorite aspect. I did landscaping a long time ago and did quite a bit of irrigation/sprinkler work so everything was relatively easy.

As for the lights, I am so far very with the Aquatic Life fixture and T5's as a whole. I don't have any experience with LED's other than viewing my fish stores display tanks that are lit with them and the reading I have done on them. I do really like how customizable they are and the almost infinite lighting schemes they offer. Being able to ramp all the individual colors up and down at independent intensities is really cool and the interface via computer is another thing that seems pretty cool to me. My T5's put off a very pleasurable viewing color and I really like the low temperature compared to metals halides. If anything I might add some supplemental LED light in the form of a small strip light retrofitted into my T5 fixture. I have no buyers remorse on T5's and am very happy with the color and growth on corals I have gotten out of them thus far.

The tank I plan on upgrading to in the future is the Deep Sea Aquatic 110 which has a 5' length. I don't want to have to have 2 different length fixtures (2' and 3' T5) to cover that tank and don't think anyone makes a 5 foot fixture so I will probably go LED when I do get that tank.

OP
OP
V

ViktorVaughn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't seem to find the edit button for posts. Second paragraph, First sentence should say: I am so far very happy..........

fanandy8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What bulb combo are you running in your fixture? I'm going to be building a 40 breeder here soon and have a 4 bulb T5 fixture as well. Your colors look good so was just seeing to get an idea.

OP
OP
V

ViktorVaughn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 ATI Blue Plus, 1 ATI Aquablue Special, and 1 KZ Fiji Purple. The order from front to back is: Blue Plus, Fiji Purple, Aquablue Special, Blue Plus.

jason g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah so he didn't last to long in your tank, lol I also had an urchin in my 72g when I first started doing coral and it would knock everything down. My wife saw one recently at a LFS and wanted it, I was like no way. Lol

OP
OP
V

ViktorVaughn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I put up with his antics for about 6 months but I finally had enough after the last acropora got demolished by a chalice he decided to drop the acro onto. It was secured in a rock crevice with quite a bit of epoxy gluing it down. He fragged countless zoanthids, he would just rip 5-10 polyps off and carry them around for a week or more. He also knocked a thriving birdsnest from the top of my rockwork to the sandbed below which broke it into 3 pieces. I still felt bad taking him back even after all that, I would have liked him to live out his life in my tank but he just destroyed too much of my coral.

On another note, that live sale Your Reef put on the other night was great! I was able to pick up a couple zoanthids (rastas and red hornets) I've been searching around for the right price for a while. Also got some really cool space monster Palythoas and a Millepora that has some great coloration. I'll take some pictures when they arrive Thursday.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks great!

OP
OP
V

ViktorVaughn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great!

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Here are a few more pictures of some pretty cool Zoanthids I picked up this weekend. I think the first ones might be a Darth Maul morph of some sorts, perhaps Orange/Gold Mauls? The other two are just behind the possible Mauls in the first picture, definitely looking forward to watching them grow out.

2014-05-13_182609.jpg

2014-05-10_090903.jpg

Rock Anemone I grabbed a week or so ago, really cool colors

rsz_2014-05-12_182943.jpg

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Viktor,

tank looks great, love the scape. Good job switching to the overflow. I did the same thing starting out but unfortunately I also have mine in a stand that won't house a sump, so I'm stuck with HOB.

OP
OP
V

ViktorVaughn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the compliments on the tank, I appreciate it. In regards to the Aquascape, initially I really liked it and I still don't dislike it, there are just a few things I wish I would have done differently. The rockwork is basically about 30" long and varies from ~6-10" deep and as you can see from the pictures just consists of a bunch of arches and caves. I like arches and the caves look, I just wish I would have had a break in the rockwork and had two seperate clusters of rock islands. Currently the only fish I have that will swim everywhere, including through all the arches and caves are my 2 wrasse. They look like daredevils just flying through the dark caves at high speed.

I'll resize some pictures now and post them up. I will try to take a video when I feed this morning so you guys can see what I mean about my wrasse and my psycho cleaner shrimp. I swear he shows the most enthusiasm for feeding time than any other inhabitant in the tank, the fish don't know what to make of him at food time. Picked up some cool new frags from the YourReef sale a few weeks ago. What was listed as a Hawaiian Ice Millepora, Rasta and Red Hornet zoanthids, Space Monster and some pink and gold palythoas, plus a freebie zoanthid they threw in. The rastas and the Red Hornets were the last two to finally open up but now that they did, they look awesome!

OP
OP
V

ViktorVaughn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a video that starts right before the lights come on, than about 2 minutes of swimming plus 1 minute of them eating/shrimp spazzing out. Just watched the video and realized I forgot to mute Malcom in the Middle, knew I was forgetting something.

[video=youtube;Bj2UVJ_1k9A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj2UVJ_1k9A[/video]

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 45 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back