OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK! The Tunze osmolator is really great. I've never had an ATO before and I'm really liking not having to stress over keeping up with my top-off all day. I put a pic in of it in the sump.

The Tunze 9004 Skimmer came in yesterday and last night I had a heck of a time installing it. Let's see.... First: it fit in the sump (which is why I picked this model and brand) but the water level cant be high enough for it to function properly without risking a flood in the event of a power outage. SO... it went into the DT :( . I'm getting it in place and I knock my led light into the tank! UHG. Thankfully, this morning they work so that's a bullet dodged. Back to the skimmer.... I plug the darn thing in and it doesn't even turn on. Back out of the tank it comes so I can take the darn thing apart. Low and behold, the motor and propeller arnt even assembled. They look like it got all knocked around during shipping or something. Now, reassembled and put back in place, it's running......Super Wet! It's turned all the way down but is still just filling up with tank water. Not only that but the tank is full of micro bubbles and the clowns are scared of this strange bubble-making machine in their home! I'm really disappointed and sad and just frustrated. Suppsedly the bubbles and crazy running will stop when it breaks in. So we shall see.

I'm planning on getting an old tank, taking it apart and creating my own custom sump. Of course that depends entirely on the responsiveness of these people on CL and whether or not they respond to my emails.

Enjoy the photos. No my tank isn't cloudy it's those stupid bubbles. :(

Attachments

• P9160289.jpg
    P9160289.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 170
  • P9160291.jpg
    P9160291.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 170
  • P9160292.jpg
    P9160292.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 148
  • P9160293.jpg
    P9160293.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 144
  • P9160294.jpg
    P9160294.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 129
OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to the LFS yesterday and couldn't find much that I wanted for sale. Luckily the guy who works there I super nice and unable to defend against puppy dog eyes lol. I got him to frag some pieces out of their main display tank for me and keep them until tomorrow to let the heal over some before I take them home. I got 3 frags coming in. I'll get the proper names for them when I go and post pics of the mother colony and the frags tomorrow. Super excited for that! I talked to a guy about some acrylic for a custom sump. He's selling the stuf on CL so I'm hoping for a good price. I'm going to call him tomorrow and ask for his quote since he didn't call me back today. Wish me luck! I have the worst luck with people being flakey on CL.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my babies today! They started healing up really well over the last two days at the store. I have pictures of the parent colonies and the frags that I bought while in their tanks. They are acclimating now, so I can get pics of them in my tank later when they open up.
I got a Hollywood Sunner Chalice, Red Montipora, and a very nice single head Duncan. These are cellphone pics so please excuse the poor quality.

By the way. I tried to get him to frag that "gold hammer" (which is really pink and everybody I crazy for saying it's gold), but he wanted too much for it. Ah well, there is always Christmas. These are all in the store's display, so they aren't going anywhere. ;)

Attachments

• Duncan A.jpg
    Duncan A.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 145
  • Duncan b.jpg
    Duncan b.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 139
  • Hollywood Stunner Chalice A.jpg
    Hollywood Stunner Chalice A.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 122
  • Hollywood Sunner Chalice B.jpg
    Hollywood Sunner Chalice B.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the Montipora. So nice!

Attachments

• Red Montipora A.jpg
    Red Montipora A.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 138
  • Red Montipora B.jpg
    Red Montipora B.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 132
OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geeze, Im just talking to myself here. I said from the beginning that this wasn't some fancy pants tank with all the trimmings, but I love it. It's going to be beautiful in a few months when things start growing out. I even ordered acrylic from a guy on CL, he's going to cut it for me and I'm going to build a custom sump myself. Just $75. Not too shabby.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess in the spirit of keeping a tank journal i'll keep updating this. No pics tonight though. I got my acrylic, but I'm scared to try and put it together on my own. I'm going to try and enlist some club members to help me out if they will.
I've been having an issue with my corals lately. It started after a water change. They just looked stressed, and still do, though they are getting better slowly. I already posted in the chemistry forum and got some insight into it. All my water levels tested completely normal. I had my LFS test my water with every test they have and they tested THEIR water (which I buy to do water changes and top-offs) again everything tested normal. The only difference was their alk was at 9 and mine is at 11. I still don't get what's up with that, even after talking to Randy about it, but I guess it will be ok. I'll just give my coral time and do smaller water changes for now.
I also bought a new cast member for my Big Bang Theory tank. Howard the male Bangaii Cardinal. He's doing ok. I've had him for 2 days now and he tried to eat twice but spit the pellets back out. I'll try some Mysis tomorrow. He drip acclimated for 2 hours because the LFS keeps their tanks at a really low salinity. Bernadette and maybe Raj will come next week if they still have some cardinals at the store.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 19 32.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 37.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 6.8%
Back