40 gallon breeder lights

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was trying to find the best way to light a 40-gallon breeder for coral growth at decent pricing. Currently was looking at Current USA Orbit Marine LED Aquarium Light but the bars are only about 4 inches each so think I would need 2 for the coverage. What I would prefer is either 1 light that can cover the entire tank or multiples that would work within the same price range. Clip-on lights, hanging, bar, etc just trying to stick to LEDs over anything else.

OP
OP
Ruzoko

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it’s more money but it will grow coral, coral is money right?? Haha
That is true xD i could start with 1 and get a 2nd later, just know few of my corals def need more light given 1 month and they barely grown at all @.@

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Atm have 5 tiny frags xD couple favia, birds nest, leather, and a montipora. Only 1 seeming to show major growth is that leather, rest barely grown at all
Hmm when the sps and lps start getting upset but the softies thrive then the nutrients might be too high or the light intensity too low…just a guess tho, shot in the dark if you will but double check your phosphate and nitrate uptake make sure one isn’t taking off

OP
OP
Ruzoko

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm when the sps and lps start getting upset but the softies thrive then the nutrients might be too high or the light intensity too low…just a guess tho, shot in the dark if you will but double check your phosphate and nitrate uptake make sure one isn’t taking off
Prob what it is, been having a battle with my phosphate -,- but i cant seem to keep any macroalgae alive, cheato just keeps dying on me. Im looking at getting some grape caulerpa since my 125 has had it growing np for a month now but chaeto with it kept dyin too lol. Id use that but sadly recent ich outbreak has that tank starting its 45 day wait.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prob what it is, been having a battle with my phosphate -,- but i cant seem to keep any macroalgae alive, cheato just keeps dying on me. Im looking at getting some grape caulerpa since my 125 has had it growing np for a month now but chaeto with it kept dyin too lol. Id use that but sadly recent ich outbreak has that tank starting its 45 day wait.
Macro can be tricky like that, for some it’s the tank out competing the macro or the minor elements the macro uses being depleted.

OP
OP
Ruzoko

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Macro can be tricky like that, for some it’s the tank out competing the macro or the minor elements the macro uses being depleted.
yeah its all kinds of weird ~.~ if i cant get it growing ill have to just up the water changes or get some media for the phosphate/nitrate. Was debating a carbon media reactor as a last resort if cant get an algae to survive.

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Atm have 5 tiny frags xD couple favia, birds nest, leather, and a montipora. Only 1 seeming to show major growth is that leather, rest barely grown at all
your list has corals that need better lights.. the birds nest and monti need a bit better lighting.. The leather can almost be grown in the dark. well not really but.. close.. Favia are iffy.. how old was your tank? I have a 40 B with a pair of the AI HD Primes. stuff grows really well, all softies and a couple favia.. all growing after about 2 months in the tank.

OP
OP
Ruzoko

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your list has corals that need better lights.. the birds nest and monti need a bit better lighting.. The leather can almost be grown in the dark. well not really but.. close.. Favia are iffy.. how old was your tank? I have a 40 B with a pair of the AI HD Primes. stuff grows really well, all softies and a couple favia.. all growing after about 2 months in the tank.
Tank is running 3 1/2 years now but only now started with corals, changed from canister filter -> sump + HoB sump for bit extra live rock and gives place to let new fish chill. Definitely seems partly a lighting issue then, the ones I got were just recommended from amazon but it lists no par values etc just that its full spectrum with control, has day -> night cycle with full blue. Bought tank used so got the lights the previous owner of the tank had which he said they did well.

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is running 3 1/2 years now but only now started with corals, changed from canister filter -> sump + HoB sump for bit extra live rock and gives place to let new fish chill. Definitely seems partly a lighting issue then, the ones I got were just recommended from amazon but it lists no par values etc just that its full spectrum with control, has day -> night cycle with full blue. Bought tank used so got the lights the previous owner of the tank had which he said they did well.
well, you need some controllability.. full spectrum is probably not what you want either.. You want to be able to reduce the red and green spectrum some.. tend towards the blue. You might get away with it for a time but your corals will do better pushing into the blues. I wont push any particular products but, Amazon usually will not have what you want.. One of the Japanese black boxes will work though they are considered iffy. If money is a problem .. they will work.. there is another one mentioned that I looked up.. it might be the new black box.. super cheap.. lower power. forget the name, it may have been mentioned in this thread earlier.. ummm.. Smatfarm LED??? I guess I prefer something with a better reputation.. and proven to grow corals..

fuelman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is a nice light here check into this ^^^. or if your looking for a cheaper option this one works good but doesn't have all the control options.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

On sale.... Just on/off but hey good price.
Won't find better for $230..

OP
OP
Ruzoko

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is a nice light here check into this ^^^. or if your looking for a cheaper option this one works good but doesn't have all the control options.
I do like the viparspectra but lack spot to hang it since my ceilings are elevated xD. But was definitely looking at this or the AI primes. Really wanna do a 1 buy and be done vs have to replace at a later date with better @.@.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 111 77.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 7.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 20 13.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back