5 months in to the hobby.

Alaska209

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title says I’m only 5 months in to the hobby, there’s been ups and downs but boy am I loving it. Just wanted to post some before and after pictures to show the progress, plus some struggles I’ve been facing.

I’ve been struggling with phosphate levels since the second month, the tank is a fluval 13.5 which I conduct a 10% water change weekly, filter sponge has been removed and replaced with filter floss in chamber 1 which is replace every 3 days. I have also cut back on feeding and scoured the tank looking for anything that may have died with no luck, I’ve been dealing with small amounts of GHA which I’ve been able to keep under control with general maintenance. Although everything looks good, I still would like to figure out what is causing the high levels of phosphate, any feedback is welcome.

Current Stock
- Ocellaris x2
- Hermit Crab x3
- Astrea Snail x1
- Turbo Snail x2
- Nassarius Snail x2

Parameters 5/5/2024
- Ammonia 0
- Nitrite 0
- Nitrate 1-2
- Phosphate .39
- PH 8.2
- Alkalinity 9.1
- Temp 78°
- Salinity 35

October Day 1

IMG_9573.jpeg

January
IMG_9968.jpeg

January
IMG_9991.jpeg

May 5th
IMG_1155.jpeg

May 5th

IMG_1160.jpeg

Last edited:

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title says I’m only 5 months in to the hobby, there’s been ups and downs but boy am I loving it. Just wanted to post some before and after pictures to show the progress, plus some struggles I’ve been facing.

I’ve been struggling with phosphate levels since the second month, the tank is a fluval 13.5 which I conduct a 10% water change weekly, filter sponge has been removed and replaced with filter floss in chamber 1 which is replace every 3 days. I have also cut back on feeding and scoured the tank looking for anything that may have died with no luck, I’ve been dealing with small amounts of GHA which I’ve been able to keep under control with general maintenance. Although everything looks good, I still would like to figure out what is causing the high levels of phosphate, any feedback is welcome.

Current Stock
- Ocellaris x2
- Hermit Crab x3
- Astrea Snail x1
- Turbo Snail x2
- Nassarius Snail x2

Parameters 5/5/2024
- Ammonia 0
- Nitrite 0
- Nitrate 1-2
- Phosphate .39
- PH 8.2
- Alkalinity 9.1
- Temp 78°
- Salinity 35

October Day 1

IMG_9573.jpeg

January
IMG_9968.jpeg

January
IMG_9991.jpeg

May 5th
IMG_1155.jpeg

May 5th

IMG_1160.jpeg
Uh youre only 5 months in the hobby and have SPS corals that look like that??? Wow thats a huge accomplishment! Beautiful tank!

OP
OP
A

Alaska209

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh youre only 5 months in the hobby and have SPS corals that look like that??? Wow thats a huge accomplishment! Beautiful tank!

Thanks! I got the frag from a local reefer who was also surprised as his did not look anything like this. Got lucky I guess.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I got the frag from a local reefer who was also surprised as his did not look anything like this. Got lucky I guess.
Thats crazy! But congrats on that tank. Looks like that coral has grown a lot!

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing a great job plenty of growth from your corals . Phosphate is a pain for most people but on the other hand if your reef is looking good coral wise why change anything. Only when I see something unhappy I test and resolve the problem hopefully. Don’t chase numbers if your reef is thriving. Phosphate binds to rocks sand . Put it this way you could get your phosphate down and everything in your tank looks unhappy. Every tank run different and what works for yu might not work for someone else. Enjoy your journey and again great job

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The phosphate might be leaching from the rocks, looks like you started with dry white rocks. You can look into using phosphate remover like rowa phos or liquid remover like phosphate-E.

Nitrate level is very low, too close to zero. Personally I would not cut back on feeding, the corals use the fish poop for food, and it will also help increase the nitrate which is too low now.

green algae is still very normal in a 5 months old tank, so don't worry about trying to get rid of it altogether

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Current Stock
- Ocellaris x2
- Hermit Crab x3
- Astrea Snail x1
- Turbo Snail x2
- Nassarius Snail x2

Parameters 5/5/2024
- Ammonia 0
- Nitrite 0
- Nitrate 1-2
- Phosphate .39
- PH 8.2
- Alkalinity 9.1
- Temp 78°
- Salinity 35

October Day 1

IMG_9573.jpeg

January
IMG_9968.jpeg

January
IMG_9991.jpeg

May 5th
IMG_1155.jpeg

May 5th

IMG_1160.jpeg
Your coral are doing great for 5 months!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 162 72.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.9%
Back