60 gallon cube (first timer)

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I’m seeing, and that’s what I will try is to shorten the drain pipes some. I also tee’d the secondary drain into the primary just above the sump, wondering if that may also be playing a part.
I definitely would consider addressing the T in the drain line also. IMO, that is asking for trouble later on and also reduces the amount that can flow through both drains.

I will be running a bean animal overflow on my 60 cube and will run a dedicated 1" line for every leg of each drain.

Here is a dirty pic of my overflow box. (Tank has been sitting in the garage uncovered for a year while I gather equipment/parts slowly). Haven't cut the emergency drain standpipe or build the durso secondary drain yet.

20231007_152942.jpg

OP
OP
R

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely would consider addressing the T in the drain line also. IMO, that is asking for trouble later on and also reduces the amount that can flow through both drains.

I will be running a bean animal overflow on my 60 cube and will run a dedicated 1" line for every leg of each drain.

Here is a dirty pic of my overflow box. (Tank has been sitting in the garage uncovered for a year while I gather equipment/parts slowly). Haven't cut the emergency drain standpipe or build the durso secondary drain yet.

20231007_152942.jpg
So due to the internal weir actually sitting a tad above the rim, lowering the pipes will not help. I have to either a) lengthen the weir slots myself or b) have modular build me a new internal weir with longer slots…. I drilled it at the height for a tank with a top trim. Should have read instructions I guess lol. As far as the Tee goes I’ll probably just keep it as long as it’s not actually affecting the performance/noise level of the overflow at all, or I guess since I need a ball valve in the drain I could just add it there

OP
OP
R

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So kind of in a holding pattern while my substrate and some rock is cycling. Need more rock though, thinking of going with a stacked, shelf rock style aqua scape. Do have a question though. In the previous pics posted you can see how the tank is sitting on the end of a kitchen bar, so the back is visible and kinda makes the tank viewable from all four sides, except of course from plumbing and the over flow. I currently have the tank taken down again :/ to paint the stand and was going to paint the back of the tank and that brings me to the question. Would you paint the back? Or try and have something a little different and a tank that although obstructed could be viewed from all sides.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
instead of painting, you could use black vinyl wrap. Its a bit easier to apply before all the plumbing is in place though

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So kind of in a holding pattern while my substrate and some rock is cycling. Need more rock though, thinking of going with a stacked, shelf rock style aqua scape. Do have a question though. In the previous pics posted you can see how the tank is sitting on the end of a kitchen bar, so the back is visible and kinda makes the tank viewable from all four sides, except of course from plumbing and the over flow. I currently have the tank taken down again :/ to paint the stand and was going to paint the back of the tank and that brings me to the question. Would you paint the back? Or try and have something a little different and a tank that although obstructed could be viewed from all sides.
I'd paint it or put black vinyl on the back.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 40 27.8%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 30 20.8%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 34 23.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 37 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back