OP
T

TheChef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO, more experiments

In previous tanks I used a sander WT 350 that I modified to use a powerhead instead of the wooden airstones and found it worked great. I lost the powerhead and went on ebay to find another, but I found a cheap PS (~$30) that came with a powerhead and bought that instead. I figured if the PS was garbage I could just use the pump on my old sander

IMG_2080.jpg

It was about 12 inches tall and a few inches wide, but the powerhead extended the skimmer to almost as far out as it was tall. Ill need to adjust it with the dremel and cut the tubes back a bit.

IMG_2084.jpg

right off the bat you can see there are a LOT of microbubbles, so im grateful for a sump w/ baffles (this isnt the final resting place of the skimmer, its just easier to adjust this way, Ill put it in my sump once its dialed in).

the outlet, which you can adjust to allow more or less outflow, also needed dremel modification. Even with it fully open the cup started overflowing relatively quickly. widening the outlet mouth fixed this easily. The skimmer is also highly dependent on water level, any lower than what you see in the picture and the cup would start to overflow

aside from all the problems you would expect from a $30 skimmer, it DOES produce good water flow and plenty of bubbles in the chamber:

bJjjunj.gif

Ill be monitoring it over the next few days and letting you guys know if it works well enough to produce some nasty skimmate. If it does, down into the sump it goes; if it doesnt, then back to the sander

and as promised, here are a couple shots of the new stuff. Im excited for post Xmas, as Ill have a bit more budget to work with and should be able to get some fish and more coral

IMG_2078.jpg

IMG_2079.jpg

OP
OP
T

TheChef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last post to get you all up to speed! I got some stuff! Local LFS had a xmas sale and was letting plates go for about $35. Couldnt pass up a plate like this one

skimmer is still going, no major production yet; still way too early to say, especially considering the non-existent bioload. I've started vodka dosing tho, so hopefully that will result in some aggressive skim action

1TiRnlz.jpg

iPWLbyY.jpg

eTPHjWt.jpg

OP
OP
T

TheChef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the mention!! Wont forget to hook you up if ever needed !

my pleasure, the zoas look great, the deepwaters and mauls scream under actinic! Miami locals make sure to hit up reef-candy for some awesome stuff at awesome prices!

OP
OP
T

TheChef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we're skimmin

d8PcsmH.gif

I considering the bioload is nearly zero, I dont expect it to pull much till the carbon dosing really gets going (even then, fairly minimal compared to a heavy bioload), but its a nice proof of concept. There are still adjustments that need to be made, and it takes a while for it to reset equilibrium every time I change something... but seeing that Im sporting a largely empty tank anyway, I dont mind having it up top for a while longer

cazieric

Thinh Vu
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice and welcome back! LOL, looks like everything is coming along, will be looking forward to more updates.

OP
OP
T

TheChef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update:

did a bit of a rescape, added more rock so it doesnt look so barren.

Crt8pv5.gif

unfortunately the swissguard went carpet surfing. Teach me to not put a top over my tank.

good news is I grabbed another bartletts anthias and a little juvenile McCosker's wrasse

wvRNaLh.jpg

zsYOA96.jpg

Also the plate is really coloring up nicely:

before

eTPHjWt.jpg

after

xJHnJLC.jpg

Just bought a GORGEOUS rainbow plate and a bunch of Zs and Ps, will definitely update soon

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 97 80.8%
  • Other.

Back