OP
OP
D

dericke171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone so I just wanted to do a quick update on my stock listing for my tank. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

-coral beauty angelfish
-blenny?? Any particular one in mind. That would help
-sunset butterfly fish
-pair of cinnamon clowns??not sure if they would be compatible
-one-spot foxface
-long-nose hawkfish
-tomini tang
-leopard wrasse
-chalk bass.

Please let me know what you think with any suggestions

OP
OP
D

dericke171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet thanks. Do you have any input on my list? Anything removed/replace. Just wondering if this stock will work

OP
OP
D

dericke171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will definitely do that. I have been feeding the fish I do have right now the myosis shrimp

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...

My .02

Sixline wrasses are terrors. I would avoid them at all costs. They're mean and consume things that you would rather have a cooler fish eat (such as pods).

I have experience with nearly all of the fish you mentioned, and since you are new to the hobby (I am 12 years in and own 3 tanks at my house and maintain 3 at my parents) I figured I would offer you some advice.

Here is your list:
- 6 line wrasse (1 or 2?)
As mentioned, I would avoid this species at ALL costs. I will make some suggestions for better wrasses later.
-tomini tang
Most people buy tangs for their beauty, this particular tang is not as colorful or vibrant as others - but is a good size and a relatively easy fish for a beginner.
-blonde naso tang ( I know it will get to big but I was going to look for a smaller size one and when it gets to big I do have somewhere to take it)
These can be difficult, especially in smaller systems (My 125 where I house my 4" Blonde Naso is too small and I will move her to a 180 for a year shortly and then sell her and buy another one after that but they're slow growers IME.) Blonde naso are not a beginner tang, they're docile which is nice and unique in coloration and shape. You're likely to have trouble keeping it in anything less than a one-two year old established tank. They also do better in reef tanks in my experience. IF you decide to do it anyway, I would give the tangs access to enough nori that they can graze on it 2/3 of the day and get fat. Rubberband it to rocks. I find my tangs prefer the human consumption nori from the grocery store better than the stuff you buy at your local fish store. I also drip some selcon on mine to stimulate feeding and good health.
-one spot foxface
FYI these are very poisonous if you touch their dorsal fins. They can get somewhat large, but are probably a decent addition. Good yellow addition. They're also very hardy but still may struggle in a recently set up tank (less than 3 months old). Once established, they're tough. Some can be aggressive towards tangs. Since you want two tangs and a foxface, recognize that you have three herbivores in your tank. They will need LOTS of nori and greens to be happy. They may also bicker amongst eachother. My magnificent foxface and my hippo tang used to disagree often.
-coral beauty angelfish
Great choice of angel. They're probably the hardiest centropyge angel. They also can get aggressive. But, good color adding purples to your tank.
-green/red/spotted mandarin (if any which would be better)
In anything but a very established reef with LOTS of pods this will be certain death. The best way to cultivate pods is with a full-blown refugium. They like to live in live rock and chaeto in a refugium. They can breed there and will provide pods for a mandarin. I would definitely hold off on this AT LEAST a year. The target mandarins IME are hardiest although the Red is the most beautiful.
-pearlscale butterfly fish
I have tried these fish SEVERAL times throughout the years. I have never kept one longer than six months and I have several difficult and expert only fish that thrive in my systems. I am not sure what the issue is, but beware that angels and butterflies often bring flukes in to your system. You will want to treat with prazipro (separate threads all over for how to do this properly). I would wait on this until at least 6 months of being stable and established. They also do better in reef tanks (Ironic because they're rarely reef safe).

So here is my suggested list, using fish from your list that I personally would recommend. As a side note, I plan my tanks based on color. I like to have some of every color in every tank. It's an OCD thing but I think it looks great (see the video I will show you at the end of this "essay").

1) Tomini Tang (although you may consider instead a 1-2" hippo tang (after a few months) or a sailfin tang (after a couple months) but if you like this one go for it.
2) Blonde naso (although the tang suggestions above are good too. If you can swing the coin, purple tangs are very hardy as well) gray fish
3) One spot foxface (yellow)
4) Coral Beauty Angelfish (could also look at any pygmy angel they're usually tough as well. Flame angel would be awesome but they're far more challenging but pick ONE or at least three centropyge. Two is generally a recipe for disaster) a good purple addition with some orange
5) Flame Hawkfish (for red) OR Longnose Hawkfish (less red but very cool fish nonetheless)
6) If you insist on white fish, get a sand sifting goby of some sort. Diamond sleeper gobies are good.
7) Ocellaris and a black ocellaris clown (Mix them). Brings orange and black to your tank.
8) Melanarus or Vroliks Wrasse - Green and patterned. Will bring green to your tank and are generally model citizens with lots of personality. I am a wrasse geek but this is a good suggestion, IMO
9) Orchid Dottyback - Not aggressive like other pseudochromis/dottybacks and generally hardy. I would wait until the tank is 3 months old to add it though. Do not get a purple dottyback. Similar but not as friendly or pretty. Here is pink!

All you're missing is blue. I still suggest you cut out the Naso for a Hippo at some point. But it's your tank! :)

Here are my three tanks, The first one (tang tank) is for the first 40 seconds, the second shows my wrasse tank which lasts over one minute, the last is my angel tank.
Put in 720P HD for best results!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBX5l1gPz84&list=UUhmnW5j3uL-ehguWWB00wbA
(Attention to detail, planning, and OCD work well for tank planning :D)

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also highly suggest avoiding leopard wrasses.

I currently have MANY but I have far more success with these fish than many, my local hobbyists call me the "wrasse whisperer"

I have:
1 Blue Star Leopard Male
1 Blue Star Leopard Female
2 Regular Leopards
1 Potters Leopard
1 Ornate Leopard
1 Black Leopard

These are very very very very very difficult fish to keep. The biggest challenge is getting them to eat, but as much as 90% of them have internal parasites/worms upon arrival, they ship very very poorly, they get damaged mouths during shipping often (my potters wrasse has a damaged mouth but is thriving but she is the exception), they need pods (like mandarins) to sustain them for the weeks they may not eat (if they even last that long), they need very stable conditions to thrive, and they often come in with flukes (which will wipe your tank inhabitants away if you are not careful).

I would say on average, people have a 1/6 success with these species. The only one I personally struggle with is blue star leopard females, but I am experienced. The easiest is the regular leopard wrasse (M. Meleagris). That being said, without a very established tank, and much experience it is likely they won't make it. They also tend to jump out of tanks (although most wrasses have this tendency).

OP
OP
D

dericke171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your tank setups. They are amazing. Thanks for all your input. I have an updated stock list that I posted. It's the post #22. Could you tell me what you think of that 3fordfamily. I would really appreciate it

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone so I just wanted to do a quick update on my stock listing for my tank. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

-coral beauty angelfish
-blenny?? Any particular one in mind. That would help
Lots of cool blennys out there. I don't have any but check liveaquaria. No help here.
-sunset butterfly fish
I would avoid butterflies for awhile, honestly. For the same reason I suggested against pearlscale in my last post
-pair of cinnamon clowns??not sure if they would be compatible
They can be. These clowns can be VERY aggressive. Especially over time. I've had these and fire clowns and man they're nasty. I suggested Ocellaris and Black Ocellaris because they're more docile and two different colors (and can pair up together) and are less likely to kill each other before they pair up. They're a good starter clown.
-one-spot foxface
-long-nose hawkfish
-tomini tang
-leopard wrasse
No way! See my last response lol
-chalk bass.
Never liked these enough to have any, but some people enjoy them. I consider them like damsels (not really all that cool) but thats strictly my opinion. I would look at the list I suggested, but its your tank so you do what you want. A chalk bass is a hardy fish, so if you like them, get one.

Please let me know what you think with any suggestions

I answered in the context of your quote above in bold.

OP
OP
D

dericke171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I didn't see that. I will definetly take all your input to heart. I just really want to get the best potential out of my tank. What order would you introduce the fish into the tank

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you did my stock list, I would do them in this order:

In order,
Immediately: Clownfish, Melanarus or Vroliks Wrasse (maybe wait a week on the wrasse but they're very hardy)
After about a month or so: Foxface, Coral Beauty Angel, Longnose Hawkfish, diamond sleeper goby, and maybe orchid dottyback. (Blennies can go in here probably also)
3 months: orchid dottyback, tomini tang, hippo or sailfin tang,
6 months: If you must have a blonde naso, it goes here.

Blennies prefer reefs though, IMO.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back