75 gallon reef tank stocking help

MonkeyDLuffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to put together a stocking list for my 75g corner overflow reef tank.

Want to keep the Biolold on the lighter side and be more coral focused. Would love some feed back. Would love a tang but I buy for the fishes full lifespan which if I'm not mistaken eliminates prolly all but maybe a kole or tomini? Would like one bigger (for the tank size) show Fish. Open to any and all ideas. Thank you :)

Ps first post so if im in the wrong place for this thread I'm sorry.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. I have a chevron purple and blue hippo tang all doing great if I could do this tank over it would be filled with the same tangs and fairy and flasher wrasses

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, you're in the right place.

I highly recommend wrasses. All the flashers, most of the fairies, smaller Halichoeres species, leopards and Pseudojuloides would all work.

A larger anthias, such as pink square, bimaculatus, or fasciatus.

The tangs best suited for a 75 are the tomini and kole.

Other interesting fish include a purple tilefish, stigmatura or midas blenny, a small group of zebra or scissortail dartfish.

Squared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the midas blenny, you will not regret this fish.

The whitetail tang, although expensive, is also one of the smallest tangs.
I have had a valentini puffer in my reef for a few months now with no problems, a puffer would be a cool choice if you're feeling adventurous. Leopard tobies are smaller.

check out the wrasse thread in this forum for some ideas.

OP
OP
MonkeyDLuffy

MonkeyDLuffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far this is what I've been thinking while I'm waiting for tank to finish it's cycle.

X2 clowns (heard they can be jerks though)
X2 firefish
X1 Leppard wrasse (been told they are not the best for beginner though)
X1 diamond goby
X1 kole tang or chevron tang (love to hear opinions on which)
X1 foxface (if it would be possible)

Still little lost in cuc members :( Would love feedback on that.

First tank so I'm still new and would love critiques or suggestions.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far this is what I've been thinking while I'm waiting for tank to finish it's cycle.

X2 clowns (heard they can be jerks though)
X2 firefish
X1 Leppard wrasse (been told they are not the best for beginner though)
X1 diamond goby
X1 kole tang or chevron tang (love to hear opinions on which)
X1 foxface (if it would be possible)

Still little lost in cuc members :( Would love feedback on that.

First tank so I'm still new and would love critiques or suggestions.
Unless you can get them as a bonded pr, don't get 2 firefish, they are intolerant of one another.

Leopards can be a challenge. They don't handle shipping well, often are afflicted with internal parasites, and can be picky eaters. But once they get past the 2 week marj, can actually be pretty hardy.

A kole tang is a better choice than a chevron for your tank. Chevrons get larger, and will outgrow a 75.

Cuc can vary from tank to tank, and person to person. In my own tank the only cuc I have is a single seahare. But hermits crabs, emerald crabs, turbo, trochus, and nassarius snails, conchs, most urchins, most serpent and brittle stars can all be used effectively as cuc.

OP
OP
MonkeyDLuffy

MonkeyDLuffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you can get them as a bonded pr, don't get 2 firefish, they are intolerant of one another.

Leopards can be a challenge. They don't handle shipping well, often are afflicted with internal parasites, and can be picky eaters. But once they get past the 2 week marj, can actually be pretty hardy.

A kole tang is a better choice than a chevron for your tank. Chevrons get larger, and will outgrow a 75.

Cuc can vary from tank to tank, and person to person. In my own tank the only cuc I have is a single seahare. But hermits crabs, emerald crabs, turbo, trochus, and nassarius snails, conchs, most urchins, most serpent and brittle stars can all be used effectively as cuc.
Thank you for the reply!
I'll drop to the single firefish and go with the kole.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the wrasses. Take a look at the Fairy and Flasher wrasses. Their very colorful and active. I have 7 of them.

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fox face can get very big fast. Probably ok for a couple of years but take a look at a full grown foxface and decide is your tank is big enough. I bought one for my 90g and plan on upgrading when he gets bigger. Incredible fish though, mine is a Magnificent Foxface. I have a Leopard wrasse as well. My advice would be to try and buy one that is living in captivity from a hobbiest. These guys don't have high survival rates during introduction but once established can be quite hardy. Look for one taking prepared food. Mine eats flake. Go with a Kole Eye over the Chevron for sure just due to size.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back