75 Gallon Stocking List Help

Chris H Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I am starting my first saltwater reef tank! I will be setting up a 75 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump. I plan on keeping beginner corals and fish.

Here's what I have worked out for my stocking list. Can anyone help me decide if these fish can live peacefully together, aren't too difficult to care for, and that I won't be over stocked?
  • (1) Yellow Tang
  • (2) Ocellaris Clown Fish
  • (1) Coral Beauty
  • (3) Blue Green Chromis
  • (1) Bi-Color Blenny
  • (1) Green Banded Goby
  • Clean-Up Crew (https://www.reefcleaners.org/store/diverse-crew-75-gallon-detail)
    • (4) Trochus Snails
    • (1) Emerald Crab
    • (27) Florida Ceriths
    • (6) Astraea Snails
    • (56) Dwarf Ceriths
    • (6) Nerites
    • (8) Hermits
    • (3) Turbo Snails .
Let me know what you all think!

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no expert with the livestock, but that's a great setup to get started with - good luck!

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
list seems solid. my personal preference is to switch the chromis for other school type fish. maybe a wrasse or two?? you can probably get more fish considering only the tang, and coral beauty would grow largest.

OP
OP
C

Chris H Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
list seems solid. my personal preference is to switch the chromis for other school type fish. maybe a wrasse or two?? you can probably get more fish considering only the tang, and coral beauty would grow largest.
Any reason you prefer wrasses to chromis? I really like the look of the chromis.

Also, I love to hear that I could possibly stock even more fish lol!

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Any reason you prefer wrasses to chromis? I really like the look of the chromis.

Also, I love to hear that I could possibly stock even more fish lol!
i actually prefer having a stock list with fish that have "purpose". wrasses can help with certain pests, and the chromis cannot. but the chromis do add movement to the tank so either works just fine :)

depending on your filtration you could potentially do more fish, but i only suggested more fish due to the sizes once they're full grown.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people have reported problems in dealing with interspecies aggression in small groups of chromis; it's not uncommon for the strongest fish to kill off its weakest tankmates, and for owners to be left with just one fish. There were also problems, a few years ago, with persistent health issues with chromis. I'm not sure if those problems have been resolved.

I know people love clownfish, but I'd rather put them in a specimen tank where you can enjoy them for what they are, instead of worrying about aggression in a reef tank setting. If you're just going to have softies, you can certainly put a dwarf angel, filefish, or butterflyfish in there -- all of these are much more personable and fun to have.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I am starting my first saltwater reef tank! I will be setting up a 75 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump. I plan on keeping beginner corals and fish.

Here's what I have worked out for my stocking list. Can anyone help me decide if these fish can live peacefully together, aren't too difficult to care for, and that I won't be over stocked?
  • (1) Yellow Tang
  • (1) Coral Beauty
  • (3) Blue Green Chromis
  • (1) Bi-Color Blenny
  • (1) Green Banded Goby
  • Clean-Up Crew (https://www.reefcleaners.org/store/diverse-crew-75-gallon-detail)
    • (4) Trochus Snails
    • (1) Emerald Crab
    • (27) Florida Ceriths
    • (6) Astraea Snails
    • (56) Dwarf Ceriths
    • (6) Nerites
    • (8) Hermits
    • (3) Turbo Snails .
I like my chromis, I have 3 in my 70. Goofy fish. Also zebra dart gobies school too and are my new favorite schooling fish if you decide against chromis. My chromis I call the zoomies, spazzy fish lol

OP
OP
C

Chris H Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my chromis, I have 3 in my 70. Goofy fish. Also zebra dart gobies school too and are my new favorite schooling fish if you decide against chromis. My chromis I call the zoomies, spazzy fish lol
What other fish do you have in your tank? Have the chomis been aggressive to any other fish or themselves?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other fish do you have in your tank? Have the chomis been aggressive to any other fish or themselves?
No they keep to themselves. I was lucky to get the 3 of them as babies and were raised together. Had them a year. They can be tricky to keep together, lots of people have them kill each other off and only have one left. Mine dont show any aggression to each other at all. And Ive got a royal gramma, maroon clown pair, 4 dart gobies, azure damsel, scarface damsel, neon dotty back, starry blenny, a male/female pair of banggani cardinals, raccoon butterfly and a baby naso tang temporarily

tuscani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 54 gal and started as follows... been great so far.

Fish:
1 - Lawnmower Blenny
2 - Banggai Cardinalfish
1 - Blue Hippo Tang (will rehome eventually)
2 - Orange Storm Clown Fish

Inverts:
2 - Peppermint Shrimp
2 - Emerald Crab
2 - Scarlet Skunk Shrimp
1 - Fire Shrimp
1 - Halloween Hermit Crab
1 - Blue Legged Crab
1 - Strawberry Conch
1 - Horseshoe Crab
1 - Bumble Bee Snail (Hitchhiker)

OP
OP
C

Chris H Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

• (1) Yellow Tang
  • (1) Coral Beauty
  • (3) Blue Green Chromis
  • (1) Bi-Color Blenny
  • (1) Green Banded Goby
    • (4) Trochus Snails
    • (1) Emerald Crab
    • (27) Florida Ceriths
    • (6) Astraea Snails
    • (56) Dwarf Ceriths
    • (6) Nerites
    • (8) Hermits
    • (3) Turbo Snails .
I've made some changes to the list based on some research and all of yall! Clean up crew remains the same but here is what i'm thinking for the fish. Trying to keep a peaceful tank from the start!

(Please don't judge me for using excel haha)

1705606449365.png

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I've made some changes to the list based on some research and all of yall! Clean up crew remains the same but here is what i'm thinking for the fish. Trying to keep a peaceful tank from the start!

1705606449365.png
some nice splash of colors!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1705606449365.png
Add that damsel last! Mine was an ****** until my maroon female put him in his place lol.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 115 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.1%
Back